Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vaccine Today, here we go!

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Johnson and Johnson is developing (and in trials) a single shot vaccine that can be held at regular fridge freezer temps and supposedly cheap.  it takes the approach of introducing the virus and then developing the anti-bodies, in my truly lay-man's understanding.  Should be approved beginning of Q-2 2021.  
    Hope for an easily deliverable vaccine.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    SWMBO had a patient in his 60s.  A cajun guy, a real character.

Anyway, long story short - he had the normal symptoms, low O2 saturation, etc.  Got back from some test(s), chest xray or something, and wanted gumbo.  Wouldn't shut up about it.  Even though we're in Louisiana, hospitals don't have 24/7 gumbo for patients.  Maybe occasionally it will show up on the menu.

Nice guy, 100% lucid except for the loud and unending penchant for gumbo.  SWMBO somehow actually found him some gumbo.  Guy ate it, happy as hell.  Few hours later, died (on the next nurse's shift).  What was remarkable was he didn't look or act that sick.  Usually patients end up dying in the ICU, but they do have them go (from Covid) in other units. 

Sadly, we will be seeing more and more people dying on chairs in the waiting room, in their cars and homes as they can't get a bed and potentially life-saving treatment.  This also goes for anyone who needs emergency medical care for other reasons.

But hey, f*ckin freedom isn't free.
    Um. Check the fvcking gumbo maybe?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

Anyway, long story short - he had the normal symptoms, low O2 saturation, etc.  Got back from some test(s), chest xray or something, and wanted gumbo.  Wouldn't shut up about it.  Even though we're in Louisiana, hospitals don't have 24/7 gumbo for patients.  Maybe occasionally it will show up on the menu.

Nice guy, 100% lucid except for the loud and unending penchant for gumbo.  SWMBO somehow actually found him some gumbo.  Guy ate it, happy as hell.  Few hours later, died (on the next nurse's shift).  What was remarkable was he didn't look or act that sick.  Usually patients end up dying in the ICU, but they do have them go (from Covid) in other units. 

Sadly, we will be seeing more and more people dying on chairs in the waiting room, in their cars and homes as they can't get a bed and potentially life-saving treatment.  This also goes for anyone who needs emergency medical care for other reasons.

"Novichok?  I swear the shaker said Gumbo File!"
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

So you’re saying Bridget might be Jane Toppan reincarnated? 😎
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • BigGreenBean
    Options
    I would roll up my sleeve now if I could. Can't understand the flat earth crowd that won't.  F'ers will keep us in masks and out of restaurants needlessly for far longer than necessary.  
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I would roll up my sleeve now if I could. Can't understand the flat earth crowd that won't.  F'ers will keep us in masks and out of restaurants needlessly for far longer than necessary.  
    Man I miss restaurants. I REALLY want to sit in a Mexican restaurant and stuff my face with carne asada. I dream about the way Mexican restaurants smell!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I haven't eaten in a restaurant since March.  I know the feeling all too well.
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    Novichok goes in the underwear, not the gumbo.

There's a sentence I never expected to write.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Sweet100s
    Options
    QDude said:
    He came over (no masks) with his GF after being at a 100 person wedding and we sent him away. 
    [...] they are doing everything right 95% of the time - masks, social distancing, etc.  But then something special  comes up (graduation event, wedding, neighbor invites you over for a drink, ...) and 
    THIS.  

The most careful person I know just got it.   When he told me I was so shocked I audibly gasped on the phone.  He said he traced it to a ONE MINUTE conversation he had with someone contagious.   I wanted to ask if he was wearing a mask, but didn't.  (It would not have helped his state of mind.)   

At least his wife and kids do not have it yet.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    CTMike said:
    PigBeanUs said:

So you’re saying Bridget might be Jane Toppan reincarnated? 😎

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Sweet100s said:
    QDude said:
    He came over (no masks) with his GF after being at a 100 person wedding and we sent him away. 
    [...] they are doing everything right 95% of the time - masks, social distancing, etc.  But then something special  comes up (graduation event, wedding, neighbor invites you over for a drink, ...) and 
    THIS.  

The most careful person I know just got it.   When he told me I was so shocked I audibly gasped on the phone.  He said he traced it to a ONE MINUTE conversation he had with someone contagious.   I wanted to ask if he was wearing a mask, but didn't.  (It would not have helped his state of mind.)   

At least his wife and kids do not have it yet.

Would have been more important for the contagious person speaking to have been wearing a mask.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    I haven't eaten in a restaurant since March.  I know the feeling all too well.
    I have done outdoor dining.  But now that’s it’s too cool here to eat outdoors I’ve given up on restaurants. 

As a guy who has eaten breakfast out every day for at least 15 years, it’s a rough adjustment. 
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I did eat outside once maybe 4 months ago.
    Options
    Eat out infrequently even before covid.
    canuckland
  • HughJass
    Options
    I will be the unpopular one, I have no plans to get "The RONA" shot anytime soon, if ever.  Why some may ask, I have no faith in it.   It is as simple as that.   All the "talking heads" I have seen have been guessing about this from day one.  I will wear my mask when required like a good little boy.   Not really a sit in a bar kinda guy (why pay $5 for a beer when a 6-er is only 7), but have gone out for tacos a couple times.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HughJass said:
    I will be the unpopular one, I have no plans to get "The RONA" shot anytime soon, if ever.  Why some may ask, I have no faith in it.   It is as simple as that.   All the "talking heads" I have seen have been guessing about this from day one.  I will wear my mask when required like a good little boy.   Not really a sit in a bar kinda guy (why pay $5 for a beer when a 6-er is only 7), but have gone out for tacos a couple times.
    Welcome to the forum, pal!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    SIL got the first shot and never mentioned it, somehow it came up at Christmas dinner. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    HughJass said:
    Next you're going to tell us you don't believe in god because all the "talking heads" have been guessing about him from day one, but no one has actually seen him who isn't crazy.  Or not.  God knows.
    edited December 2020
    Options
    “Look. I know that I am posting this from a pocket supercomputer, and that if I had a heart attack I’d want the best doctors possible, and although medicine has extended life expectancy far beyond God’s original design specs, and although math and science are responsible for every significant advancement from which I benefit, I just don’t trust the vaccines.”

“Because I saw some stuff on facebook, and that’s enough for me”

“signed: Critical Thinker”

(Said it before and have no problem saying it now: I don’t care if someone’s backward thinking, or poor education, or desperate fearful clinging to stone-age myths gets them killed. I care if it gets someone else killed.)

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    “Look. I know that I am posting this from a pocket supercomputer, and that if I had a heart attack I’d want the best doctors possible, and although medicine has extended life expectancy far beyond God’s original design specs, and although math and science are responsible for every significant advancement from which I benefit, I just don’t trust the vaccines.”

(Said it before and have no problem saying it now: I don’t care if someone’s backward thinking, or poor education, or desperate fearful clinging to stone-age myths gets them killed. I care if it gets someone else killed.)

Shots fired 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • HughJass
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

I never said I don't trust vaccines...I just don't have any faith in the RONA vaccines at this point.  So I guess I'm backwards and stupid, thank you for setting me straight.
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    In the immortal words of Tina Turner, “what’s faith got to do with it?”

These troll accounts are getting to be too much, amirite?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I do admire the restraint in registering an obvious troll account under a handle that is essentially “Huge Ass” and then waiting an entire year - in 2020, no less - to post with it.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Takes some grit to wait that long.  Or one too many bourbons when registering only to realize the epiphany of the Huge Ass.
    PigBeanUs said:

This is why I usually don'
    I do admire the restraint in registering an obvious troll account under a handle that is essentially “Huge Ass” and then waiting an entire year - in 2020, no less - to post with it.

Not quite a "troll" account...just  a replacement made when I was feeling a bit saucy one night when my original account password got hosed from my saved passwords and emails with reset password link never made it to my inbox (or any other email folder).   I just don't post often since this is such a judgemental crowd, and I'm obviously way too stupid to contribute.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @HughJass - well, in that case, I’m sure you won’t mind sharing the handle of your original account, so that we all know who we’re talking to here?
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options

I never said I don't trust vaccines...I just don't have any faith in the RONA vaccines at this point.  So I guess I'm backwards and stupid, thank you for setting me straight.

Have to give you credit for keen self-awareness.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    If it wasn't for the contagious aspect, I would just let Darwin sort out the deniers. As I have said before I will take the vaccine just as soon as I'm told that it's my turn. The deniers might just speed up my turn.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    The problem is that we need to vaccinate at least 250 million people. Giving shots is trailing actual vaccinations pretty badly so far.