Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vaccine Today, here we go!

Options

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Being old has its benefits... shingle vax, prevnar, pneumovax all settled within last few years. Cataracts on the horizon.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Couple of friends of mine have gotten shingles. One guy said it was like getting stabbed over and over with a hot knitting needle. The other had eye involvement. Nasty. Glad you got that shot!  That’ll be great for Bridget and eventually you to get the covid vaccine. I’m hoping it’s not as long a delay as originally thought. 
    I've had shingles, and the rash went 3/4's the way around my torso (can be fatal if it goes all the way around, I was told).  You can only get chickenpox once, but you can get shingles more than once (it's the same virus, go figure).  I'll be getting the shingles shot when I refill another prescription this week.    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Botch said:
    blind99 said:
    Couple of friends of mine have gotten shingles. One guy said it was like getting stabbed over and over with a hot knitting needle. The other had eye involvement. Nasty. Glad you got that shot!  That’ll be great for Bridget and eventually you to get the covid vaccine. I’m hoping it’s not as long a delay as originally thought. 
    I've had shingles, and the rash went 3/4's the way around my torso (can be fatal if it goes all the way around, I was told).  You can only get chickenpox once, but you can get shingles more than once (it's the same virus, go figure).  I'll be getting the shingles shot when I refill another prescription this week.    
    Yep my Dad has had it twice. You bet that I have had the Shingrex vaccine.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I’m mid 40s and internist didn’t want me to have the shingles shot yet. I’ll be mad if I get shingles first!!  On a similar note, I had a colonoscopy at 40 due to family history and sure enough they found some little cancer seeds (forgive my term for suspicious polyps @caliking)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    I felt a single semi-painful blister on my neck, with smaller dots, not as ‘blistery’ in a row after it. Maybe two or three dots at most. 

Went to the Dr and said “I think I have a spider bite or something. And it bit me a couple times maybe”

she said “shingles. Earliest case I have ever diagnosed”

I don’t know how fast it spreads. But I think that was maybe the second day or so, max. 

She gave me some antibiotics and nothing more happened. 

Can’t imagine waiting until it covered a significant portion of my body. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:
    I felt a single semi-painful blister on my neck, with smaller dots, not as ‘blistery’ in a row after it. Maybe two or three dots at most. 

Went to the Dr and said “I think I have a spider bite or something. And it bit me a couple times maybe”

she said “shingles. Earliest case I have ever diagnosed”

I don’t know how fast it spreads. But I think that was maybe the second day or so, max. 

She gave me some antibiotics and nothing more happened. 

Can’t imagine waiting until it covered a significant portion of my body. 
    That is the problem with shingles - most of us don't recognize what it is and wait until it gets worse before we go to the doctor.  By then it is having its way with you, and not in a good sense!  Get the vaccination if your doctor recommends it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Looks like my wife and I will both be Phase 1c - her due to comorbidities, and myself as an essential worker (energy sector). We are at an appt with her pulmo now and asking his opinion on whether she should get it due to being immunocompromised. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • blind99
    Options
    @ctmike my concern with immunocompromise would be that someone gets the shot and thinks they're protected, but really aren't.  i'd rather face covid with some degree of immunization rather than none.  i'll be interested to hear what advice you were given. 

where we are, the only contraindication to the shot is known allergy to a component of the shot.  everyone else is a candidate.

i recall getting antibody titers checked only once - hep B vaccination is considered protective at a certain level. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @ctmike my concern with immunocompromise would be that someone gets the shot and thinks they're protected, but really aren't.  i'd rather face covid with some degree of immunization rather than none.  i'll be interested to hear what advice you were given. 

where we are, the only contraindication to the shot is known allergy to a component of the shot.  everyone else is a candidate.

i recall getting antibody titers checked only once - hep B vaccination is considered protective at a certain level. 
    Her pulmonologist today recommended she get the vaccine when available. He said without she has about a 20% chance of contracting the virus, as opposed to 1% chance of side effects from the vaccine. She has been in the ICU on a vent 3 times this year due to asthma exacerbations - pulmo said if she gets the virus she would absolutely be back on a vent and it could be fatal. 

She has an appt with her immunologist tomorrow so we will see what he says. 

Even when and if she gets the vaccine, she knows that it won’t provide blanket protection. As I stated earlier in this thread (a or maybe it was a related one) - I give her Xolair injections twice a week, and a nurse comes to the house to give her an IgG infusion once a month - all to give her a short term immunity boost. 

Severe asthma such as hers, and the long term steroids to combat it really sucks. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Hang in there brother Mike. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    How are you guys getting it and which country are you in? In the uk apparently there are around 30million ahead of me due to my age and health
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    So far I think everybody mentioned is a health care worker. People with medical conditions and age will be somewhere in late January after the health care workers and people at assisted living(care) centers. Of course it seems that politicians are jumping the line in order to “inspire “ our reluctant people that it’s safe . AOC is only in her late 20’s for example and Rubio is in his 40’s. Admittedly most of the politicians are old and have preexisting conditions like lacking a spine or a heart.
    I don't mind politicians getting it if that helps convince people it is safe and gets more people to get immunized in the long run.  

What does bother me is how many of these same politicians that have been towing the virus hoax line, virtue signaling with the president's rhetoric, spewing bible quotes out of context and encouraging behavior contrary to public safety from the CDC.  That hypocrisy is astounding.
    A preacher in Texas who poo pooed the virus just lost his 84 and 79 year old parents within a day of each other.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    So far I think everybody mentioned is a health care worker. People with medical conditions and age will be somewhere in late January after the health care workers and people at assisted living(care) centers. Of course it seems that politicians are jumping the line in order to “inspire “ our reluctant people that it’s safe . AOC is only in her late 20’s for example and Rubio is in his 40’s. Admittedly most of the politicians are old and have preexisting conditions like lacking a spine or a heart.
    I don't mind politicians getting it if that helps convince people it is safe and gets more people to get immunized in the long run.  

What does bother me is how many of these same politicians that have been towing the virus hoax line, virtue signaling with the president's rhetoric, spewing bible quotes out of context and encouraging behavior contrary to public safety from the CDC.  That hypocrisy is astounding.
    A preacher in Texas who poo pooed the virus just lost his 84 and 79 year old parents within a day of each other.
    No doubt he’ll preside over a huge service that will draw a crowd.
  • blind99
    Options
    Allocation is tricky. I’m glad a lot of people are thinking about it. I think the big reason to give it to health care workers is that if they get sick, they can’t take care of the sick people. Taking care of covid patients can be done quite safely now that we know what precautions to take. 

So for the next waves, it’s a balance of protecting those most at risk of death or serious illness, and those who when they get sick create big impacts on critical services. Lots of groups deserve consideration. Glad I don’t have to those calls. I’d go mostly by age, I think. 

If it’s offered to you, you don’t really have a choice to give it to defer to someone else. Line jumping though is another story. 
  • PigBeanUs
    Options

Give, and ye shall receive. 
  • Legume
    Options
    I will gladly wait my turn and take it when offered to me. I count myself lucky, I rarely have to leave the house.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SWMBO had a patient in his 60s.  A cajun guy, a real character.

Anyway, long story short - he had the normal symptoms, low O2 saturation, etc.  Got back from some test(s), chest xray or something, and wanted gumbo.  Wouldn't shut up about it.  Even though we're in Louisiana, hospitals don't have 24/7 gumbo for patients.  Maybe occasionally it will show up on the menu.

Nice guy, 100% lucid except for the loud and unending penchant for gumbo.  SWMBO somehow actually found him some gumbo.  Guy ate it, happy as hell.  Few hours later, died (on the next nurse's shift).  What was remarkable was he didn't look or act that sick.  Usually patients end up dying in the ICU, but they do have them go (from Covid) in other units. 

Sadly, we will be seeing more and more people dying on chairs in the waiting room, in their cars and homes as they can't get a bed and potentially life-saving treatment.  This also goes for anyone who needs emergency medical care for other reasons.

But hey, f*ckin freedom isn't free.
    One of my Aunts is adament about having the  Christmas Eve get together for the entire extended clan. The aunt and uncle who usually host it finally had to say no. Their son will be stopping by on the way back from M.D. Anderson in order to rest since he is driving. Paul just had some surgery that I can't spell for lung cancer. The Doctor said Covid would take him right out. He never smoked btw. Now she is ticked that both of her daughter in laws said no way that they were not coming(the first aunt mentioned).
  • CTMike
    Options
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    blind99 said:

Her pulmonologist today recommended she get the vaccine when available. He said without she has about a 20% chance of contracting the virus, as opposed to 1% chance of side effects from the vaccine. She has been in the ICU on a vent 3 times this year due to asthma exacerbations - pulmo said if she gets the virus she would absolutely be back on a vent and it could be fatal. 

Even when and if she gets the vaccine, she knows that it won’t provide blanket protection. As I stated earlier in this thread (a or maybe it was a related one) - I give her Xolair injections twice a week, and a nurse comes to the house to give her an IgG infusion once a month - all to give her a short term immunity boost. 

Severe asthma such as hers, and the long term steroids to combat it really sucks. 
    Vanilla doesn't have a "sending happy thoughts" button, so that's what I'm trying to do here.
    Thanks for the thoughts. She just got off the call with immunologist who agrees that she should get the vaccine when offered, but he went on to say it likely wouldn’t be as effective as her immune system won’t generate as robust a response that it would in others. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    blind99 said:

Vanilla doesn't have a "sending happy thoughts" button, so that's what I'm trying to do here.
    Thanks for the thoughts. She just got off the call with immunologist who agrees that she should get the vaccine when offered, but he went on to say it likely wouldn’t be as effective as her immune system won’t generate as robust a response that it would in others. 
    Maybe a second booster shot?
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    blind99 said:

The Pfizer vaccine is a series of 2 injections, 3 weeks apart. Not sure about Moderna. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    blind99 said:

The Pfizer vaccine is a series of 2 injections, 3 weeks apart. Not sure about Moderna. 
    All the covid-19 vaccinations are 2 shot.  The only difference is Moderna (and others) are 4 weeks between injections. 
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    blind99 said:

CTMike said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    blind99 said:

Moderna is also two shots. I was talking about adding a third shot.
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    blind99 said:

CTMike said:
    CTMike said:
    caliking said:
    CTMike said:
    blind99 said:

Moderna is also two shots. I was talking about adding a third shot.
    Ahh gotcha, not sure the powers that be would authorize that - but it’s worth asking about. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Legume
    Options
    I am sure her doctors will guide her in the best way medicine knows how.  Hopeful thoughts for your family @CTMike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have never heard of getting an extra booster shot as part of the initial series.  That said, if she can get the vaccine, she should.  It will afford her an advantage in hopefully not getting *as sick* compared to not getting the vaccine at all.  What she'll benefit most from is the herd immunity that we hope to achieve.  Also what helps is getting vaccinations for anything that could turn into a comorbidity such as the flu shot.