Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage recipe thread - post 'em here

Comments

• lkapigian said:
    Just thought this belonged here, no for hand mixing for me....LEM 50 pound mixer , bolts right up to my Big Bite

Hey Larry- does this tack up the meat as well or does it just mix in spices? I'm assuming this replaces the need to hand mix or kitchen aid mix?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thai chicken sausage: Thai basil, garlic, ginger, mint, cilantro, sriracha dust from dehydrated mash, lime zest, salt chicken thigh and gelatin made from pho broth (little truck we learned from the soup dumpling game). Freaking fantastic. 

Greek chicken sausage: chicken thigh sh!t tons of roasted garlic, Feta, Salt, black pepper, oregano,  basil, lemon zest and juice, nutmeg, white wine). Another winner! 

I used non-fat dry milk as a binder after consulting with @lkapigian. Loved how they turned out. It bound up great and they are really juicy  

greek:

Thai:

in the fridge to dry overnight. 

Next up: Piri Piri chicken! Stay tuned. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,707
    Thai chicken sausage: Thai basil, garlic, ginger, mint, cilantro, sriracha dust from dehydrated mash, lime zest, salt chicken thigh and gelatin made from pho broth (little truck we learned from the soup dumpling game). Freaking fantastic. 

Greek chicken sausage: chicken thigh sh!t tons of roasted garlic, Feta, Salt, black pepper, oregano,  basil, lemon zest and juice, nutmeg, white wine). Another winner! 

I used non-fat dry milk as a binder after consulting with @lkapigian. Loved how they turned out. It bound up great and they are really juicy  

greek:

Thai:

in the fridge to dry overnight. 

Next up: Piri Piri chicken! Stay tuned. 
    The look awesome !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    Just thought this belonged here, no for hand mixing for me....LEM 50 pound mixer , bolts right up to my Big Bite

Hey Larry- does this tack up the meat as well or does it just mix in spices? I'm assuming this replaces the need to hand mix or kitchen aid mix?
    No hand mixing at all, this bonds everything very well 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

I think this is in our future for the next commercial grade event we do. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

I think this is in our future for the next commercial grade event we do. 
    It is a real time saver, the new design with the rounded corners is very good....im thinking about getting a smaller hand crank one for small batches ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Doing my Linguica this coming week ......I have learned  from @20stone and slowly converting my stuff to percentages ....Same recipe but reworked 

1.5% Salt
    .25% Cure 1
    5% Red wine , on the sweet side
    .3% Dextrose
    .4% Oregano or marjoram
    2% Fresh Garlic
    1% Smoked Paprika ( pepper paste is better if you have in, increase %)
    .3% Black Pepper
    .1% White Pepper
    .2% Cayenne
    .2% Calabrian Chili Flakes ( less or omit if you don't like heat on this and Cayenne)
    1% Non-Fat Dried Powdered Milk ( Add before mixing ) 
    1 Bunch ( Aprx 1%) Italian Parsley ( Add after the grind ) 

Cut meat into small pieces , let ferment in above ingredients for a couple days ...grind and stuff as usual, the above is ready for cold smoking, you can omit the cure 1 if keeping fresh 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Just checked in to say that I’m highly disappointed this thread title is not “show me your sausage.” That is all. 
  • lkapigian
    40 pounds of Smoked Linguica on deck 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @lkapigian Ok. It’s official. You’re my hero. Dude, do you own a cape?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2020
    SciAggie said:
    @lkapigian Ok. It’s official. You’re my hero. Dude, do you own a cape?
    Lol. It will be broken out into several phases ...day 1 cube , weigh add salt and cure ....thats it for a couple days ...edit...i also hand seam the meat....lats good reading @sciaggie and elevates the sausage/ salami.
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Wow you guys have some great looking sausages in here. 

Larry, I am thinking of getting an electric mixer as well. The last 200 lb batch we did left me in flat out pain the evening of the mixing day. Like @bgedealer I was thinking of rigging something up or find a “all in one” unit. We will see what happens. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lkapigian
    Sea2Ski said:
    Wow you guys have some great looking sausages in here. 

Larry, I am thinking of getting an electric mixer as well. The last 200 lb batch we did left me in flat out pain the evening of the mixing day. Like @bgedealer I was thinking of rigging something up or find a “all in one” unit. We will see what happens. 
    Mine is a 50 pounder ...200 pounds actual mixing time would be about 1/2 hour ...6 minutes a batch ,no cold hands . well worth the investment 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    6 mins a batch with a electric mixer? SOLD! Mixing by hand, I easily went twice as long for a 20 lb batch. 

To be clear, and I can see why I wasn’t to begin with,  is that we were thinking of going 40 or 50 lb size. The 200 lbs that I mentioned was 40 kielbasa, 40 Italian, 2 types of 20 lbs each of chorizo, 20 (really)  hot Italian, 20 sweet heavy fennel, 20 broccoli rabe and cheese and 2 experimental batches with the balance one being a maple, brown sugar and sage breakfast sausage. So the 40 or 50 lb size would work. I am going to have to do some research. 

Merry Christmas to me!
    Damn this forum. Back a few days and it already cost be a couple hundred bucks. 
    Large and MiniMax

• lkapigian
    edited December 2020
    @Sea2Ski , couple things about the mixers , 1 being minimum batch size IE the 50 pounder won't do well with say 15 pounds...they say 30-35 pounds minimum but I've done 20 and it's fine.2 they want a premium for the tilt feature, mine is fixed and I could never see needing the tilt......get Rounded Corners like in the LEM new model

Ways to decrease mixing time, increase myosin extraction in a shorter period of time ( even by hand ) cure cubed meat for a couple days before grinding , non fat dry powdered milk @ 1% is your friend ...even by hand, I only mix for a few minutes and get a good bind 

Edit: although with pork as fresh as yours , less is more and needs little help 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:

Finally got around to cleaning these up and into a salt cure for a couple days

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    lkapigian said:
    Yeah, I’m pretty serious about sausage too. I made 2 pounds of ground chuck into chili meat today. I’m about to stuff 5 pounds of Texas Hot Links.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    lkapigian said:
    Yeah, I’m pretty serious about sausage too. I made 2 pounds of ground chuck into chili meat today. I’m about to stuff 5 pounds of Texas Hot Links.

Ha ha, I was just thinking about that movie !....please post your hot link recipe 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    I’ll post it with a pic of the product tomorrow after smoking. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    SciAggie said:
    The morning sun is hitting the sausage in the front making it so bright. Going to cold smoke for 5-6 hours. 

Beauty !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Excellent all the way @sciaggie!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Wow those look great.  Will be trying.  @SciAggie
    NOLA
  • Sea2Ski
    @SciAggie looks like you hit a home run with that batch.  Just beautiful! 
    Large and MiniMax

• SciAggie
    Thanks y’all! I was pretty happy with these. A big shout out to @lkapigian for all his advice and encouragement.  
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    Texas Hot Links

Oh my goodness y'all these are da bomb! I highly recommend you try them. I took the recipe from Two Guys and a Cooler.

Here it is:

If you are making sausage adjust the servings to reflect the total weight of your meat and fat

Servings: 1000 grams

Ingredients

• 629.96 g fatty pork shoulder
    • 370.04 g beef chuck
    • 1.75% g kosher salt
    • 0.25% g insta cure #1
    • 0.75% g black pepper
    • 0.66% g garlic powder
    • 0.48% g onion powder
    • 0.35% g red pepper flakes (I used Calabrian chili flakes)
    • 0.44% g cayenne or more if you like it super spicy
    • 0.57% g paprika
    • 0.18% g mustard powder
    • 0.09% g dried thyme
    • 3% g non fat powdered milk
    • 100 ml/kg ice cold beer (I used Shiner Bock)
    • hog casings

Instructions

• Clean your meat of any silver skin, sinew, arteries and cut into small strips or cubes. Add all of the seasonings (except the Non-Fat Powder Milk) and place the seasoned meat and fat in the freezer for an hour or until the temp reaches 32f – 34F.
    • clean and rehydrate your hog casings
    • Grind your very chilled meat and fat on a course plate (10mm) then regrind on a medium plate (4.5mm). Make sure everything is very chilled while grinding.
    • Add the ice cold beer and the non-fat dry powder milk to your mince meat and mix till it becomes very tacky. If you grab a small handful it will stick to your hand if you hold your hand upside down.
    • Stuff your mince meat into the casings, link, and prick out any air pockets. Let your sausages rest in the refrigerator overnight

Smoking Schedule

• Cold smoke for 6 hours
    • (I used pellets in an A-Maze-N smoker tray for the cold smoke)
    • Next set the temp to 135F for 1 hour, then raise to 155F for 1.5 hours, and finally raise the temp to 175F till the internal temp reaches 145F. (I used some nice hickory for the hot smoke)
    • Once finished cool your sausages by dunking them in ice cold water. Remove from the water and let them bloom at room temperature for several hours. Refrigerate and enjoy!
    This was taken when they had almost reached final temperature. 

I enjoyed this sausage immensely. The heat was spot on for me - hot, but not too hot. I used quality casings from The Sausage Maker and it made a big difference. They had a nice snap and texture. 
    I’m still a sausage rookie but I’ll take a plate of this any day. 

Good gawd. 
  • Has anyone tried to sous vide the fresh sausage first to an internal temp of 160 and then use the BGE and A-MAZ-N smoker to smoke them?  If so, how were the results?  If not, what do you guys think?  Thinking that this way would be very convenient.  The only problem I see is the casing reaction to the sous vide and being able to get a nice snap from it.

Also, I see above @SciAggie only went to an internal of 145 degrees.  What is the sweet spot when using Cure 1?
    South Buffalo, New York
  • SciAggie
    @BUFFALOMOOSE The IT of 145 was according to the recipe. I have no idea if that’s the sweet spot. I later reheated to 140 for supper and it tasted great. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • lkapigian
    @BUFFALOMOOSE I the @The Cen-Tex Smoker sous vide sausage, but I think grills after that..I don't think I would cook then cold smoke...nitrites dissipate over time , and when cooked so you may lose that the protection cure 1 provides ....i could be wrong but sounds good in my mind at the moment  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian