Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Doing Right Now? (non OT version)

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Everyone else has agreed to leave politics out of this one just like the original, so if you can leave this sort of thing for elsewhere I think we'd all appreciate it, thanks.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I've been using my leftover pickle juice for brining wangs lately; this week I tried boneless skinless breasts.  I brined them over the first night, then air-dried them on a rack in the fridge the second night (Note to Self: air-drying wangs overnight gives you crispier skin, if your cheekun is skinless it just dries out; don't do that again dumbs*t!)  
    Before going on the Egg I sprinkled two of the breasts with Montreal Cheekun Seasoning, just pepper on the third.  These were really, really good, despite the leathery surface.  
    Added to the rotation.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Pizza in the WFO tonight, residual heat to cook the turkey tomorrow. 

Interesting.  If you get that roaring tonight, what temp will it still be at tomorrow morning?
    John, with the floor temp around 1,200 F - the thermometer in the dome will be reading around 400 F tomorrow and slowly drop over the course of the day. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Botch said:
    I've been using my leftover pickle juice for brining wangs lately; this week I tried boneless skinless breasts.  I brined them over the first night, then air-dried them on a rack in the fridge the second night (Note to Self: air-drying wangs overnight gives you crispier skin, if your cheekun is skinless it just dries out; don't do that again dumbs*t!)  
    Before going on the Egg I sprinkled two of the breasts with Montreal Cheekun Seasoning, just pepper on the third.  These were really, really good, despite the leathery surface.  
    Added to the rotation.  

I tried the pickle juice brine on wings once. I wasn't a fan. Maybe it was the particular pickle juice I used...Anyways, I've been wanting to try it on breast
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    CTMike said:

Now you’re talking. Do you spread the coals evenly over the oven floor after pizzas when it’s time to close up for the night?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:

Interesting.  If you get that roaring tonight, what temp will it still be at tomorrow morning?
    John, with the floor temp around 1,200 F - the thermometer in the dome will be reading around 400 F tomorrow and slowly drop over the course of the day. 
    After pizzas my oven is usually about 400 the next morning. If I’m baking at lower temps it will run 300 the next day. If @C@CTMike oven is like mine though it will run at 300-350 for hours and hours on residual heat. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    CTMike said:

Now you’re talking. Do you spread the coals evenly over the oven floor after pizzas when it’s time to close up for the night?
    Yup, read that over on pizzamaking.com I believe it was. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Botch said:
    Added to the rotation.  
    Where's the pics @Botch ?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Just made a compound herb butter for the bird. Up next is cubing the bread I made yesterday so that it can get stale overnight 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    Warming up the Weber for tomorrow.  Will use it to warm up the ham.

Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    Since I have the weber going, figured I would smoke some chicken tenders for the dogs.

Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Another pizza pie tonight - brie, green apple, and truffle oil.  Ricotta base.

Nice Za. Shared the image with my wife, who has a gift for baking. She said, “I am making that.” Thanks John. Making my life better.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Botch said:
    Added to the rotation.  
    Where's the pics @Botch ?
    Pics of cooked skinless breasts are almost as ugly as pics of me.  
    Sowwy.   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Nice Za. Shared the image with my wife, who has a gift for baking. She said, “I am making that.” Thanks John. Making my life better.
    It’s super easy.  Slice the brie and green apple thin as you can, layer over a base of ricotta and drizzle with the truffle oil.  

The dough just works as a delivery mechanism for all that goodness.  I bet you can find a pretty good wine to pair with it too.  Enjoy!  And tell your better half I said hello ;)
  • PigBeanUs
    Options

Sounds fantastic. But it looks like the underside of an elephant’s foot. 

I imagine it looks the same way coming out. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    TTC said:
    Just picked up our feast from Cracker Barrel - all I gotta do is turn on the oven. Judge all you want, it’s been one of those years and we ain’t cooking 
    We did that several years ago and it was one of the best Thanksgivings we’ve had. There is something to not having to cook for a bunch of people and enjoying your time. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Which part of “leave this elsewhere” did you not understand?  WTF dude.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

See now @Focker would’ve gone with something like “do you even eat with your eyes, bro?” 
  • PigBeanUs
    Options
    John. Please don’t pick on those who are grieving and unable to move on. Give the snowflakes time to melt. 

Especially the witless ones. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    PigBeanUs said:

I read something the other day about elephant foot (and trunk) are the most desirable parts to eat.  The description of the pad coming off after cooking....is...

Anyway, doubt that audience is here, but in some cultures that's a compliment.