Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite Thanksgiving food item?

Today is the last day of classes before my students get out for Thanksgiving break. I've been having some discussions with them about what they like best for Thanksgiving dinner. Do they prefer turkey or ham? Do they like dressing? Is it called  dressing or stuffing? With or without giblets? What about gravy - like it/don't like it - giblets/no giblets?
Then there are the sides. Who has the mandatory green bean casserole? Sweet potato casserole? What about desserts? Pecan pie or pumpkin pie? What other family traditions might you share?

Just something fun to do.

For my part it's turkey and dressing w/giblets. Gravy is a must. Sides are just fillers. Pecan pie all the way. We also have German rice pudding (my favorite). We usually have appetizers early. It's a cheese and veggie board. Everyone has a Manhattan with appetizers.
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,433
    The gravy.  Which always gets cold before Botch gets full.  :cry:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    SciAggie said:

For my part it's turkey and dressing w/giblets. Gravy is a must. Sides are just fillers. Pecan pie all the way. We also have German rice pudding (my favorite). We usually have appetizers early. It's a cheese and veggie board. Everyone has a Manhattan with appetizers.
    I like the way you roll.

For me, gotta have gravy. Good gravy makes Thanksgiving for me. And pecan pie, I guess. 

I honestly enjoy the cooking, and time spent with family/friends, more than I enjoy the meal. We usually go to a friends' place for Thanksgiving, and she is gracious enough to let me do what I want to, without any hang-ups that many hostesses might have. I typically make an appetizer, gravy, side, and dessert and take it over there.

That way I get to enjoy Thanksgiving, without having to get  the casa ready for guests =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • I love my mother to death, but she is a dreadful cook. It is almost comical how bad things are.
    A few years ago, I watch her make gravy. She takes a stockpot and gets about four cups out of the two gallons of weak turkey water that the turkey was boiling in. (don't ask, an entirely different story for another day) As the "stock" simmers, she whisks a few tablespoons of flour with some water in an old Cool Whip container, then quickly dumps the paste into boiling stock, whisking as fast as possible. Still, there are so many lumps that she has to strain the "gravy" through a paper towel. 
    The next year, I offer to make gravy, beginning by melting butter, then stirring in equal parts flour. She looks on, puzzled, saying "That's not how I make gravy." I respond, "I know. That's not how YOU make gravy, but that is how you MAKE gravy."
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    stuffing cooked inside the bird covered with butter and gravy, coffee mug next to the plate full of gravy topped with butter for sipping.  a few hours later the turkey stuffing, cranberry relish, mayo on a bulkie roll
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • havertyj
    havertyj Posts: 118
    I like it all! My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving because I love all the food. I love turkey, dressing, potatoes with gravy, and then I did not have giblets until I was married. Those are good but we do not have them every year. We usually do have sweet potato with marshmallows on the top. For desserts, pumpkin, pecan, and Dixie pie all home made by my mother-in-law are what everyone is anticipating.

I cannot wait! For drinks, usually start out with beers and then go into a few bottles of wine throughout the meal and after dinner. Appetizers are usually what ever various people bring so it varies. I cannot wait for next week!
    ♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,678
    edited November 2020
    probably pick cranberries tomorrow, supposed to be warmer with some sun. you need to make the relish, that canned stuff is awful
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • havertyj
    SciAggie said:
    I was appalled to discover they intended to make PACKAGE gravy. Oh no - not on my watch... I stepped in and made scratch gravy.

That's funny! Reminds me of my brother-in-law who was dating a girl a few years ago and they made cauliflower potatoes. It might have been something else but it definitely was not typical potatoes. He still talks about it and how he was so disappointed with their version of Thanksgiving.... might be why he did not end up marrying that lady. 😀
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    I like a big chunk of turkey thigh or back meat with gravy.   Chocolate pie, homemade molasses rolls and fresh cranberry salsa round things out.  I am the gravy guy at all the family gatherings also.  Leftover gravy ends up in the Gumbo.
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,433
    For those of you who ruin sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and even pineapple, give this a try this year, and thank me later.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chipotle-smashed-sweet-potatoes-recipe-1942146

(there are a bunch of variations on the 'netz, too)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Stuffing ... that's all I need ... breakfast, lunch and dinner. Period. The End.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • The wife makes a sausage stuffing that is killer.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I pretty much like all of the traditional thanksgiving grub, but what I really like is sharing it with people who thumb their nose at green bean casserole — because that means there will be more left for me.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Put your leftover stuffing in a waffle maker- crispy and amazing. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • The desserts. Don’t care much for the typical Thanksgiving foods.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Stuffing ... that's all I need ... breakfast, lunch and dinner. Period. The End.
    My BIL got me started on this - he takes a slice of cold stuffing and adds it to a turkey sandwich the next day.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Gravy and stuffing.  Dirty rice. Bread pudding.
  • The thing that really can’t be beat, in my opinion, is the post-Thanksgiving sandwich.  

I use fresh baked bread, leftover turkey, stuffing, gravy, a bit of cranberry sauce, some honey mustard, and maybe a slice or two of swiss cheese.  Heat it up as a melt.  Giddyup.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    MrA46221 said:
    I’m a sucker for skillet buttermilk corn bread dressing. Next favorite is the ridiculous stoner style leftover combinations. 
    #turkeyfarts

Is that the hex code for burnt orange?
    Gravy, Madmax style.  If most any of the other foods are less than good, that gravy can improve them.  Excluding desserts, I think.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Mad max gravy is amazing and makes it all worth it.  My favorite single food item is stuffing/dressing whatever you call it. Just straight traditional bread stuffing/dressing.  Nothing terribly fancy.  That's my mom's job whenever we're together.  I'll do everyhting else, but her stuffing/dressing is amazing. Hell, I could destroy a box of the Stove top garbage on demand 24/7/365

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    I’m in on pretty much every except cranberry sauce. Also not a fan of the Christmas vacation style turkey or cold dry turkey in general (the way my father in law serves it). 

Favorites are: Ham, sweet potato casserole, deviled eggs, chicken cornbread dressing, and  bread pudding. If Ihad to pick one I’m going cornbread dressing.

We should double back on this for Christmas breakfast items!
    LBGE
    AL
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    I do a dressing of typical herbed bread crumbs and cube (Pepperidge Farm), but definitely kick it up notches - onion, celery, apple, pork sausage, additional herbs, black pepper-love it.  Also, a yam casserole - spices and orange flavoring...  OMG
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,711
    When I was a kid, all I wanted was the onion dip and wide ridge chips ...oh, and putting olives on my fingers 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • It changes every year. None of the traditional foods though, one year it was a Brussels sprouts salad my cousin made. Another a different cousin made Mexican corn bread in a cast iron skillet with bacon n the bottom, then you flip it like a bacon upside down cake. An orange coconut cake is traditional from my grand mother’s recipe. Few people object to whatever I Egg, the shrimp and chorizo fundido was a particular hit. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    Cooking the whole deal (save desserts-experts do those).  Enjoying the whole deal with family and friends is what it is all about.
    Pushed for the favorite it would be pecan pie.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • havertyj
    lousubcap said:
    Pushed for the favorite it would be pecan pie.  

I cannot never pick a favorite. I always take a sliver of each pie available. Pecan, Sweet Potato, and Dixie all get my attention. I had never had a Sweet Potato pie until I met my wife. Pretty dang good compared to typical pumpkin pie. Still, I do love to have some pecan pie maybe for breakfast the next morning with coffee. Oh, so good!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    My favorite Thanksgiving feast is deep fried turkey, sage dressing, chicken and dumplings with sweet potato/pumpkin pie. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Creamed corn is high up there but I’d have to say stuffing with gravy is it. Then again mashed potatoes and gravy comes to mind. 

Cross contaminated bites of it all mixed together is probably my favorite to be honest.