Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What food reminds you of your Dad?

For me,  it is the dreaded Mc Rib.  He used to love them.  Just crossed my mind when I noticed they are returning Dec. 2nd.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We had him cremated so I would have to say ribeye done caveman.
    We had him cremated so I would have to say ribeye done caveman.
    That's an amazing steak and tribute!
  • Well my dad is still alive but the food that we both love eating together is homemade chili. He's always asking me to try different chili powders to find a hidden gem.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Chicken fried steak. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Oh boy, in his latter years, fried shrimp and big hamburgers.  Those were his jam and if both were on the menu, the shrimp won.

As a kid, he taught me to appreciate Caesar salad w/anchovies and he loved a tin of sardines with crackers for lunch.

• My mom started working nights at the IRS and it was up to dad to make us dinner. 

He would put the mattresses in the hallway so we could tumble and bounce off the walls, while he made “dinner”.

A big fan of leftovers, one night he mixed mac-n-cheese, watermelon pickles, and American chop-suey. He also poured the pickle juice (from the watermelon pickles) directly into the mix. 

My older brother threw up

I don’t remember how I fared. All I can think is that my strategy must have been to pluck each ingredient out by itself, because I liked them individually. 

But we talk about that to this day. Fifty years later. 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Home made pizza in Chicago, with his very unique sauce. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Boetje’s brand Dutch stone ground mustard. Not sure if it was because he smoked Camels and needed that strong acidic taste, but he loved that mustard and in particular on cheese!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    edited November 2020
    Very thinly-sliced Salt Cod, directly out of the wooden box (which is normally soaked thoroughly and used in other dishes).
    The family cat (who normally hated him) got fairly friendly on those nights, and she always got a slice.  

EDIT:  If I ever have another 3/4" T-bone, overcooked over a Texaco 93-fired bed of briquets, I'll also think of Dad.  But I don't intend to.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    edited November 2020
    Souce meat, Sardines in a can, Saltines and mustard, with a splash of schlitz out of a can. Good ole days! On the back of his Volari.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• The only food that my Dad was allowed to cook was white rice and hard scrambled eggs. For food that we cooked he liked butter beans, crowder peas, and chicken gizzards. His teeth are no longer up to chicken gizzards but he likes just about anything that I Egg.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Biscuits and gravy. 

My grandfather was literally born in a barn in Oklahoma. They even spelled his last name incorrectly on his birth certificate so our last name lacks an “a” that our relatives have. 

My dad, who was born and raised in CA, kinda sounds like he is from Oklahoma. Growing up my mom made biscuits and gravy from the family recipe for either breakfast or sometimes dinner on weekends. 
  • nolaegghead
    Cornholio said:
    Biscuits and gravy. 

My grandfather was literally born in a barn in Oklahoma. They even spelled his last name incorrectly on his birth certificate so our last name lacks an “a” that our relatives have. 

My dad, who was born and raised in CA, kinda sounds like he is from Oklahoma. Growing up my mom made biscuits and gravy from the family recipe for either breakfast or sometimes dinner on weekends. 
    So your last name is "Sshole"?

I kid! I kid!
    The beatings
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Ribs and steak 
  • nolaegghead
    thetrim said:
    The beatings
    Did the morale ever improve?
    My Dad when he cooked it would be breakfast.  eggs and biscuits, sausage or maybe with a couple of weenies cut in half and fried or some fried bologna. He always made a big deal out of anything my mom would cook us. But the food I think my Dad could never get tired of eating would be fried chicken. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Banana chiffon cake - he would ask for it on his birthdays.

XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Cornholio said:
    Biscuits and gravy. 

So your last name is "Sshole"?

I kid! I kid!
    It’s actually Jackss  =)
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited November 2020
    thetrim said:
    The beatings
    Did the morale ever improve?

You know me.  What do you think? 

Morale was pretty high until they stopped counting votes suddenly early in the morning on Nov 4th and an influx of "mail in" ballots filled out only for the Presidential election and no other contests started showing up at sketchy precincts in battleground States.  Prior to that, morale's been pretty good since Jan 20th, 2017.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Leathery dry pork chops cooked on a gasser
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I'd actually have to say liver and onions.  He almost never cooked, but he loved to make this.  No one else would even try it, and it stunk so bad, that was a sure fire way to clear the house out.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    He cooked 2 things on his Weber kettle.

1) Really good mesquite smoked turkey breast.

2) Hamburgers - where the meat was cooked to the point that the burgers were indistinguishable from the briquettes that were used to cook them.

We always asked for him to cook the turkey breast.

A Busch beer was often consumed while grilling - or whatever was on sale.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Frozen chicken breasts from Sam's, marinated in Dales' then completely incinerated on an old Weber gasser. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Burned BBQ chicken with a lot of sweet bottled sauce cooked over lighter fluid.
    NOLA
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited November 2020
    Freshly caught black drum, wrapped in bacon and seared.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    apples
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Steamed Maryland crabs.  We ate them every summer growing up.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike