Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What food reminds you of your Dad?

Options
2»

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Liver and onions.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • havertyj
    havertyj Posts: 118
    Options
    Spaghetti and meat balls. In terms of grill food that I am reminded of about him, steak, not seasoned, and well done. I did not learn how to prepare and cook steak until after I was married. I thought what my dad had made for years was the best thing.
    ♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • TrippleRipple
    Options
    My dad only cooked two things. Burgers, sometimes he get all fancy and season them with salt and pepper and chicken. Regular cut up fryers. Slathered in Open Pit BBQ sauce, Incinerated. Both on a gasser filled with lava rock. 
    Formerly @dharley prior to some password bs.

LBGE, 36" Blackstone, bad liver & a broken heart

Three Rivers, MI
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited November 2020
    Options
    There was something magical about the '80s & '90s when Dads could somehow grill chicken breasts completely covered in BBQ sauce. Like slop that shiit on straight from the bottle before they even hit the grill.

The sauce always burned.... The chicken never browned... The meal always delicious. 

Pass me the Ranch and Baco's™ please, and let's see what the ol' Alex P. Keaton is up to on channel 3. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    There was something magical about the '80s & '90s when Dads could somehow grill chicken breasts completely covered in BBQ sauce. Like slop that shiit on straight from the bottle before they even hit the grill.

The sauce always burned.... The chicken never browned... The meal always delicious. 

Pass me the Ranch and Baco's™ please, and let's see what the ol' Alex P. Keaton is up to on channel 3. 

This probably helps explain why we still see so much colon cancer now.  Although the mandated reduction of nitrite in bacon and addition of antioxidant made large strides in reducing it.
    Pre-egg: the smell of lighter fluid

Post-egg:  pulled pork, because he loves it so much he makes a butt almost weekly
  • ArvadaMan
    Options
    Mmm..... Lighter fluid.

I don’t miss the flavor but the smell always brings back memories.

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    My dad had a pan of sauce he would pull, dunk and put back on grill.  I don’t know when I learned this was an option vs normal 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • 4TheGrillOfIt
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Chicken fried steak. 
    X2.  Big time.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Biscuits and Gravy. Homemade in an iron skillet.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    Souce meat, Sardines in a can, Saltines and mustard, with a splash of schlitz out of a can. Good ole days! On the back of his Volari.
    You can’t forget the smoked oysters. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    bubbajack said:
    Souce meat, Sardines in a can, Saltines and mustard, with a splash of schlitz out of a can. Good ole days! On the back of his Volari.
    You can’t forget the smoked oysters. 
    A can of sardines, a pack of saltines and a bottle of hot sauce and I’m set. Love them
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• AppStateDDS
    Options
    Blue plate special = meat and two veg with a roll and iced tea.  

Also, wayyy over cooked chicken or pork chops from the gas grill.  
    Stuart
    Burlington/Alamance County, NC
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Absolutely nothing. My dad never cooked, so no memorable dishes, good or bad. He also worked a lot (freelance musician, 3 x 4 hour sessions a day was the norm), so when we were kids, tea time was mum only. 
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    Sh!t on a shingle and waffles. My folks were divorced and we spent weekends with Dad. Those 2 dishes were the only things he was good at cooking and they made up 100% of the dinner menu. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Pasta fagiole was the first hing my Dad decided to cook when he retired. Inspired by Dom Deloise' cookbook, he finally decided to give cooking a shot once he retired.

Lost him 4 years ago. But all my cooking equipment is on the back deck of Mom's house. Anything I cook out there reminds me of him as well. Not quite the same spending the day outside there without him. It was my Dad that bought the large BGE for my to use back in the day.

LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    When I think of Dad and food, hand cranking homemade ice cream always comes to mind first.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EzraBrooks
    Options
    My dad never heard of low and slow for spare ribs.  They were cooked directly on a rippin' hot full load of briquettes, of course fired with generous amounts of lighter fluid.  Lift the lid and fight back the flames...   To eat them required a bite and rip technique that made me think of starving cavemen anxiously awaiting first bites after a fresh kill. 
    My dad would boil them first in pickling spices.  His were on the other end of the spectrum, falling apart and mushy.  He has an egg now and still swears by 3-2-1 method so they still are always over.  But I'm a good son and don't say anything lol.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    My dad never heard of low and slow for spare ribs.  They were cooked directly on a rippin' hot full load of briquettes, of course fired with generous amounts of lighter fluid.  Lift the lid and fight back the flames...   To eat them required a bite and rip technique that made me think of starving cavemen anxiously awaiting first bites after a fresh kill. 
    My dad would boil them first in pickling spices.  His were on the other end of the spectrum, falling apart and mushy.  He has an egg now and still swears by 3-2-1 method so they still are always over.  But I'm a good son and don't say anything lol.
    Coming up on 27 years since we lost my dad.  Would dearly love to egg some ribs for him.  Dang...that thought got me...
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • havertyj
    havertyj Posts: 118
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    When I think of Dad and food, hand cranking homemade ice cream always comes to mind first.

Oh yes! I forgot about hand cranked homemade ice cream. My dad used to make that all the time. Usually for July 4 or birthdays, but man it was good!
    ♦︎ John ♦︎ Large BGE ♦︎ Topeka, KS ♦︎ My Blog ♦︎
  • 2beast
    2beast Posts: 50
    Options
    Head cheese 
    Wild mushrooms cooked with onions and scrambled eggs 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Burned to a crisp select sirloin coated in Heinz 57 and honey (which was also burned onto the steak). 3x a week. Sometimes he also burned chicken. I loved it all. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jdsmithii
    Options
    Big Jim cooked two things: frozen burgers on a hibachi-style propane grill that was covered in aluminum foil, then served on white bread, or tapioca pudding.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My childhood was not quite as traumatic as I thought...
    Options
    My dad is no cook but he when he had to feed us it was a bologna sandwich. On another note he taught me how to clean and cook blue crabs from the cheseapeke bay. He worked all the time but we spent a lot of time on the water together on the weekends, now we still do try and spend as much time together as we can but it has been less this year with COVID. Cherishing ever minute we have together knowing that we never know how many we have left.
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Pancakes

BBQ chicken on the Weber kettle
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Fried bologna sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Also, grilled chicken legs, sauced with Open Pit BBQ sauce, then wrapped in foil and chilled; eaten from a cooler in the stands, while watching a race.  Potatoes and onions cooked in a foil packet over the coals of a campfire, at some camp site, across any number of campgrounds across this country. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009