Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KBQ in Austin Texas

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Damn!  Wish I was in Austin.  I would buy that in a heartbeat!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Yowza! Somebody is going to luck out.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    What a steal. I love mine.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    That sounds like a road trip for you Photo Egg. You're still under 1/3 of the original cost if you factor in gas to go and pick it up!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Maybe maybe

that level of babysitting means I’d use it twice, love it, but never use it again. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Maybe maybe

that level of babysitting means I’d use it twice, love it, but never use it again. 
    The KBQ requires babysitting but can take much of the headache out of some of the bigger stick burners have. It's compact and doesn't require much time to heat thick steel like other pits. (It can also be negative in cold temps) Clean up is stupid easy. No worrying about rust when washing it down. Just some oven cleaner and water. 

Briskets and pulled pork aren't the most fun if doing low and slow. You also have options with turbo cooks. The fans also speeds things up and overall times with the KBQ. 

I think we all forget that smokers do more than just brisket and pulled pork. It's also good for smaller cooks and shorter times. Most of have this image where we have to stay up all night and see the sunrise. The KBQ is great for smaller quick cooks. No it's not BGE fast but certainly possible to fire it up after work. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    That sounds like a road trip for you Photo Egg. You're still under 1/3 of the original cost if you factor in gas to go and pick it up!
    I was real interested and looked into buying one awhile back but don’t want the fan noise or sparks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,112
    Options
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I would love to have the PK.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    Oh come on. We can do better memery.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    I would love to have the PK.
    If you were to drive up to Austin for it... let me know. 

Asking for a friend, of course =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    The window of opportunity is only open for so long.  Just sayin' .
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    caliking said:
    Oh man. I have a KBQ sized space in my garage...

Didn't we already crown you the man with the most toys? Heavy is the head that wears the crown, I guess.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I would never admit to buying a PK because @lit has one.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would never admit to buying a PK because @lit has one.
    I have 2 (two)
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    brentm said:
    Oh come on. We can do better memery.  
    Agree, but between my job and my extracurricular vocation trying to take down already failed and shuttered small business over the internet, I just don’t have time to be creative with memes.
  • WeberWho
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Link is still active. Someone has to bite!

Minnesota
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Foghorn Good for you. I'm glad someone got it.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I bit.  Working out the pickup details.  
    Congrats! You're in for some fun! 

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Nice!!!  Can't wait to see some pics.  Luckily @HeavyG didn't buy it, or we would never see it used.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Nice!!!  Can't wait to see some pics.  Luckily @HeavyG didn't buy it, or we would never see it used.
    I'm going to count my lucky stars. I've seen a picture of HeavyG KBQ here on the forum. If you do a little digging it's out there. I was shocked to see a picture from him as well.

@Foghorn HeavyG was nothing but helpful with any and all questions I had with the KBQ. Top notch in my book!

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    That's good to know @WeberWho.  However, I've fiddled with - and mostly watched him fiddle with - @The Cen-Tex Smoker's KBQ on a couple of occasions.  And since either he and/or @20stone are picking it up for me I know they will give it a good look before committing the money. I'm looking forward to playing with this. It will fit nicely in my collection.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thank you... for putting me out of my misery. I've been wanting/not wanting this ever since it was posted. The agony was real when I saw that it was still available this morning. 

You'll love it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Congrats to @Foghorn for the sweet score. That's definitely a bona fide bargain.
    That brings the BGE Forum KBQ owner count up to what now - about 5 of us?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk