Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KBQ in Austin Texas

Options
2»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    I bit.  Working out the pickup details.  
    Thank you... for putting me out of my misery. I've been wanting/not wanting this ever since it was posted. The agony was real when I saw that it was still available this morning. 

You'll love it.
    @caliking, that’s how I looked at it.  I was both disappointed and happy that it was still available ...

You’ll probably get to benefit from some of the output from it at some point in the future.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I have one and love it.  It definately gives a stronger smoke flavour to the meat.  I will never get rid of my XL though!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• txhawkeye
    Options
    Thank you I have been clicking that link for days.... you should enjoy it!!!
  • QDude
    Options
    txhawkeye said:
    Wouldn't you prefer to have the handle "Texas Cyclone"?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    That's good to know @WeberWho.  However, I've fiddled with - and mostly watched him fiddle with - @The Cen-Tex Smoker's KBQ on a couple of occasions.  And since either he and/or @20stone are picking it up for me I know they will give it a good look before committing the money. I'm looking forward to playing with this. It will fit nicely in my collection.
    It's a pretty straightforward smoker on how to use. I did have some questions on how to clean it and accessories for it. I recommend downloading the pdf manual for it. It's worth looking over if you get a chance. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • txhawkeye
    Options
    QDude said:
    txhawkeye said:

No I prefer women not farm animals

• QDude
    Options
    txhawkeye said:
    QDude said:
    txhawkeye said:

No I prefer women not farm animals

Now that hurt!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude
    Options
    You will love it!  I did some spare ribs on Friday on the KBQ that were out of this world.  Great smoke ring too.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @20stone picked it up for me this morning.  I'll get it from him next weekend.

Thank you @Photo Egg for posting this and helping me spend my money.
    This place is full of friends that are ready, willing, and able to help one spend $$$$.

I cannot complain though. My culinary experience is better for it. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    I have one
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• QDude
    Options
    Foghorn said:

A couple of things to consider with the KBQ:

1.  Buy a plug in switch for the controller.  That way you can simply hit the switch when you want to open up the main door.  If the blower is operating and you open the door, it may suck some ash into the cook chamber.

2.  Clean the 2 fan blades with a brush to get off the soot build up.  Very easy to do.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    QDude said:
    Foghorn said:

1.  Buy a plug in switch for the controller.  That way you can simply hit the switch when you want to open up the main door.  If the blower is operating and you open the door, it may suck some ash into the cook chamber.

2.  Clean the 2 fan blades with a brush to get off the soot build up.  Very easy to do.

I'm gonna disagree with some of your first point. If the draft/exhaust fan is blowing and you open the door you're not really going to be sucking ash into the cook chamber. Air, like water, will try to follow the path of least resistance. Once that front door is open the exhaust fan is going to be sucking air thru that big front door opening rather than continuing to be able to suck air thru the coal bed and the narrow passageway to get into the cook chamber.
    I think any ash that gets into the cook chamber is most likely going to occur if one is working the coal bed or adding splits while the exhaust fan is working. That is when ash is being knocked loose and some will likely get caught up in the flow of air into the chamber.
    I just wait until the exhaust fan is off before mucking around with the firebox but I could see that having a switch inline might be useful on occasion.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    How’s the wireless security on these?
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Legume said:

Excellent as they use the latest in NoFi technology.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Legume said:

Excellent as they use the latest in NoFi technology.
    Are you sure I think you need to take it apart and post all the pictures.  Someone might hack you spare ribs time and temp!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    QDude said:
    Foghorn said:

I'm gonna disagree with some of your first point. If the draft/exhaust fan is blowing and you open the door you're not really going to be sucking ash into the cook chamber. Air, like water, will try to follow the path of least resistance. Once that front door is open the exhaust fan is going to be sucking air thru that big front door opening rather than continuing to be able to suck air thru the coal bed and the narrow passageway to get into the cook chamber.
    I think any ash that gets into the cook chamber is most likely going to occur if one is working the coal bed or adding splits while the exhaust fan is working. That is when ash is being knocked loose and some will likely get caught up in the flow of air into the chamber.
    I just wait until the exhaust fan is off before mucking around with the firebox but I could see that having a switch inline might be useful on occasion.
    Thanks @QDude and @HeavyG for that.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• QDude
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    QDude said:
    Foghorn said:

Yes you are right.  I got mixed up in my advancing years.  The switch helps if you want to check on your cook when the blower is operating.  It cost like $6.  Stirring the coals when the fan is blowing will bring a little ash into the cook chamber.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    How does it fail?  Does controller fail with the blower on full?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    How does it fail?  Does controller fail with the blower on full?
    Time for some game theory.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • QDude
    Options
    I am not aware of any controller failure issues related to the blower.  The KBQ seems to be pretty bullet proof.

The only Wifi issues I have come from the smoke it generates - it sends out my personal data across the sky but I don't care as it disappears quickly.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    QDude said:
    I am not aware of any controller failure issues related to the blower.  The KBQ seems to be pretty bullet proof.

The only Wifi issues I have come from the smoke it generates - it sends out my personal data across the sky but I don't care as it disappears quickly.
    It sounds like you're on the high temp wash or quick clean mode. I believe Kenmore and Whirlpool has an updated fix for the bug you mention above. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Sheldon_Nigel
    Options
    Glad to see people enjoying the KBQ on this forum too!  I have been looking for one off and on, but no luck like that!  Congratulations.
    Ruining Gaskets one cook at a time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Glad to see people enjoying the KBQ on this forum too!  I have been looking for one off and on, but no luck like that!  Congratulations.
    There are 8 or 10 of us on here now. Welcome aboard by the way. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • QDude
    Options
    The KBQ is just another cooker that is great as some things just like the egg.  I would never get rid of my egg though.  Someday I may sell the KBQ but not my egg!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• HeavyG
    Options

That's about twice the number of KBQ'ers I thought we had here. I must have dozed off and missed some threads.

• Foghorn
    Options
    Welcome aboard the crazy train @Sheldon_Nigel.

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HeavyG said:

That's about twice the number of KBQ'ers I thought we had here. I must have dozed off and missed some threads.
    You
    me
    20stone
    foghorn
    weberwho
    qdude
    Some dude in the quad cities who left the forum
    sancho55

thats 8 for sure and I’m sure I’m forgetting someone. A few are not very active these days so no surprise that they aren’t all obvious. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX