Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked and seared Wagyu burgers.

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited October 2020 in Off Topic
Ground wagyu from our parking lot meat swap last week (thanks @Foghorn). 1/3lb burgers smoked over oak until 120 then seared on cast iron griddle on the BGE. The meat was from a buddy of Foghorn and it was fantastic. Some of the best I’ve had. 

I made a burger sauce: 1/2 cup dukes, 2Tbsp ketchup, 1 TBSP mustard, little meat church holy gospel rub, diced pickles, and some homemade sriracha. This was tasty. 

Served on homemade Hokkaido milk buns with homemade Berkshire bacon, burger sauce, Boars Head American cheese, home fermented jalapeños. 

These were so good! Was riffing off the ground wagyu burger at LeRoy and Lewis. They grind wagyu brisket trim and smoke until rare then sear on a plancha before serving.

smoked to 120 over post oak: 

Seared up and served- yum. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    oh damn. I have massive burger envy right now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • That looks outstanding!  I will take three please.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    💥 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    I’ve been craving a burger all week and now this 🤦‍♂️ 

It doesn't surprise me that you took that beef to another level. I've been cooking it to 140 in the name of food safety and at that temp it has the best combination of buttery/juicy/flavorful I've ever tasted in a burger.  My friend bred his Angus cows to meet USDA Choice standards - then crossed them with Wagyu to get the flavor of Angus and the buttery richness of Wagyu.  It worked.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    It doesn't surprise me that you took that beef to another level. I've been cooking it to 140 in the name of food safety and at that temp it has the best combination of buttery/juicy/flavorful I've ever tasted in a burger.  My friend bred his Angus cows to meet USDA Choice standards - then crossed them with Wagyu to get the flavor of Angus and the buttery richness of Wagyu.  It worked.
    It did indeed 
  • Foghorn said:
    One of these was 140 after the sear and the other was a little over at 150. I don’t know which one I ate but it was freaking delicious. Buttery/juicy/flavorful is a perfect description. 
  • Those made my mouth water, seriously. Thank you. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    dang that's a big ass bun!  =)
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr said:
    dang that's a big ass bun!  =)
    Ha ha. It does look that way but that’s just my poor camera skills. It’s pretty standard size but maybe a tiny bit taller than store bought. 
  • Centex, how did you sear it?  On the grid or ...  on  ... what is the ‘la plancha’ what I see under the grid? 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    God that looks great.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2020
    Sweet100s said:
    Centex, how did you sear it?  On the grid or ...  on  ... what is the ‘la plancha’ what I see under the grid? 
    Cast iron griddle on the BGE. What you saw in the pic was my oval stone from my adjustable rig. That was the smoking stage. I didn’t take a pic of the sear. 
  • This is the sear set up I use. Lodge cast iron griddle set on my adjustable rig. This is from a different cook. I also use the flat side of grill grates sometimes. They both work great 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I made a burger sauce: 1/2 cup dukes, 2Tbsp ketchup, 1 TBSP mustard

I make a very similar dipping sauce for fried seafood. The biggest difference in your burger sauce and my seafood sauce is I use Hellman’s for the mayo in the seafood sauce. It might be in my head but the Hellman’s seems more “clingy” to me. The proportions are pretty close.  
    On a side note, the burgers look ok. You could probably convince me to eat one. If I was still fat you could probably talk me into 5 or so  :D

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I know I am the odd man out and just one man talking here, but I really like Lodge cast iron products 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    I may have just figured out what I’m doing with the homemade Berkshire bacon you gave me...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Well that's made me hungry :D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Good god, man. Burger envy
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Fabulous meal. I MUST learn to make my own buns. It’s not like I never make bread...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    Fabulous meal. I MUST learn to make my own buns. It’s not like I never make bread...
    Start here. https://youtu.be/M9le93pztbU
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Just back from Costco- saw ground wagyu for the first time and this thread popped into my mind.

It’s my son’s birthday dinner tonight so the burgers will have to be a mid week plan. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Great googly moogly those look fanfriggintastic

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    SciAggie said:
    Start here. https://youtu.be/M9le93pztbU

Thank you for this.
    NOLA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Awesome looking burgers, and well done on making the components 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    Awesome looking burgers, and well done on making the components 

ha ha. I knew you would like that part.

BTW, the KBQ is a smoked burger/reverse sear machine. Business down below, party up top.
  • Great googly moogly those look fanfriggintastic

They were pretty tasty. Had another one last night. Will be doing those again. Grab some of that Heartbrand ground beef next time you are at the store and give it a try. The buns are really what set them off though.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    El Cerado del Seoul wagyu burger-

Greensboro, NC
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Dang Son - looks really good !!  have made nothing but smash burgers for the longest time, but I am craving something like this.  Nice cook!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    edited November 2020
    Had some of this beef tonight as sliders with gruyere, chimichurri, bacon.  Good stuff.

San Antonio, TX