Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Neighbor Issues

So, it's fall ... leaves dumped ... I have two huge maples in the backyard, and my property is pretty big for city living, probably a little less than 1/2 acre.

Anyhow, it was a mess back there and I thought I'd clean up. I have a gas leaf blower ... so I started using it back of yard to round up leaves, then raked into piles to dispose of.  Came around to the side of my house which is adjacent to a neighbor, worked that area about 1 hour, even had to go onto a shed roof to remove all the leaves and sticks on there to protect the shingles ... then I stopped, had lunch, went out, raked what I could.  Turned on gas blower for around another 35 minutes to clean up all the loose pieces.  Also worth noting most of my yard is interlock paving, river stone or black mulch beds. Raking on any of those surfaces, and in particular the river stone is VERY difficult ... leaf blower works to remove embedded samaras (copter seeds) from maples as well as pine needles (I also have spruce trees) and maple leaves loose.

Doesn't the neighbor come out and complain towards the end of it all.  She's telling to cut if off, saying I've been at it for 3 hours. Knowing I'm in full right to do this ... it was 3 pm in the afternoon, and it's like once a year ... I still was trying to be friendly, and said sorry, I have about 5 minutes left do you mind if I finish. She yells at me like she's my mom or something, and says, I have a splitting headache and family is over, and you've been going on for 3 hours, you have TWO MINUTES!

I was like WTF is up with this woman! Has she lost her mind. I'm out there working, to clean up my yard ... happens a couple of times a year to clean up leaves in the fall! There's no laws against it, and although I know it's an inconvenience, it's not like I'm having fun out there.  Besides, half the time was blowing leaves on the opposite side of my property, which is almost 200 ft from her house! I only was next to her house for like 1 hour, then turned it off for 1h while I ate lunch and then raked what I could, then on for another 35 minutes... max 40 minutes.

Are people insane ... does she actually think she has a right to DEMAND ME to turn it off???  I would sympathize with her, if she kindly asked if I could turn it off for a bit ... but telling me I had TWO MINUTES ... what a selfish whiney b$%tch. Needless to say, I don't plan on speaking to her again.  Her husband is a cool guy, just haven't bumped into him yet since it happened, so I don't know how that is going to go ... funny SHE came out, and not him.
Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    I do not like neighbors.  I have been on both sides of this conversation.  She vented, you finished.  Carry on.  Btw, when I fussed at neighbors I felt like a complete tool about 3 seconds later.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    If I was off my medicine I would sh*t in her yard. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    @Mark_B_Good give it a bit, that headache and the family that may have caused it made you a target,
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Don't fall into her trap. Be the bigger person and let it slide. If it becomes a constant issue maybe say something. Sh*tty neighbors suck. I'd hate for it to get any worse between you guys. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    She’s clearly in the wrong. 

Carry on. Maybe have a pre-printed copy of the local noise ordinance (which surely includes which hours you can and can’t operate lawn equipment) that you can politely provide to her.

Life’s easier when you like your neighbors, but it’s not a requirement. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,078
    I think you are in Toronto?  In a different life some 12 years or so back our work team had Toronto folks on it.  I recall them speaking of "leaf days", whereas you get your leaves out in the street and the city comes by machinery that sucks/brushes them up.  Did they stop that practice?
    As for your neighbor, I'd take the high road, bring them over some food when you next cook.  That should either mend the fences or bug the shite out of her.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Crank up all of the Eggs with hickory smoke.
  • If she has flower beds, acquire an outside cat.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    Is ALL CAPS your neighbor by chance?
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    She lost me when says You Have Two Minutes " my clock  starts at demands , I can play this All Day
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    Her husband is a cool guy, just haven't bumped into him yet since it happened
    I recommend giving him a good azz whippin. If you give him a good and proper beating he will go home and straighten out his big mouth wife and your problems will be solved. You will be blowing leaves in peace from now on. Some say violence does not solve anything. But you have to remember that the ones saying that is the ones that got their azz beat. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    lkapigian said:
    She lost me when says You Have Two Minutes " my clock  starts at demands , I can play this All Day
    At the "Two minutes" quip, I would have probably walked to the garage.  Filled up the gas tank.  Fired up the blower, and tied the trigger so it stayed on.  Then left it on the side yard till it ran out.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SGH
    edited November 2020
    lkapigian said:
    At the "Two minutes" quip, I would have probably walked to the garage.  Filled up the gas tank.  Fired up the blower, and tied the trigger so it stayed on.  Then left it on the side yard till it ran out.
    I would of told her that she had 2 minutes to kiss ole Popeye. 

Status- Standing by.

• Is there an HOA you could call by any chance?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • rlew
    rlew Posts: 68
    MY neighbor would leave their 3 dogs out on their deck all day and let them bark. I finally had enough and had to ask her to do something about it. Inside working during the day and all I could hear all day long was the little ankle biters barking. Neighbors can be inconsiderate. Not supporting your neighbor at all, she sounds like a pain.

• SGH
    rlew said:
    MY neighbor would leave their 3 dogs out on their deck all day and let them bark.

Sounds like you need to invest in a good scoped 30/06.  

Status- Standing by.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2020
    Friggin neighbors amiright???? By the way, your neighbor is a giant B, I find nothing wrong with what you did.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• She was completely wrong. Having said that, I try to not let one incident define someone for me (unless it was one hell of an incident). Who knows what she was going through at that moment in time. If this was the only time she acted like a lunatic, I would let it go. If this is normal for her, plant more trees.
  • ColtsFan said:
    Is ALL CAPS your neighbor by chance?
    I wouldn't complain about this at all, in fact just the opposite. I would be the one pissed off if he DIDNT clean them up.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    I just checked "agree" on a @SemolinaPilchard post. Gotta take my temperature cuz I must have a fever or something.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• To paraphrase Bruce Dickinson, yes, that Bruce Dickinson "you have a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell."
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    So, you either live next to Michelle Obama or Hillary Clinton.  Given that Michelle is a dude, I'd say you live you next to Hillary.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Headaches suck give her a day. She should feel like a tool later
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited November 2020
    my yard my way to unwind ...don't F@ck with me.

End of discussion 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    atleast she is not planting trees in the middle of your lawn, thats what my neighbor does
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    dbCooper said:
    I think you are in Toronto?  In a different life some 12 years or so back our work team had Toronto folks on it.  I recall them speaking of "leaf days", whereas you get your leaves out in the street and the city comes by machinery that sucks/brushes them up.  Did they stop that practice?
    As for your neighbor, I'd take the high road, bring them over some food when you next cook.  That should either mend the fences or bug the shite out of her.
    Just outside Toronto, and garden equipment can be operated from 7 am to 9 pm. I started at 11:30 am and it was all done by 3:30 pm, with breaks in between. That included front and back, and I'd say only 1/3rd of that area would have been close enough for her to tell if it was me or some guy 3 doors down.

And ... last year, I went fishing, caught an amazing salmon ... gave it to these neighbors because he told me they love fish.  Next day, I asked the husband if they ate it. He said yes, it was really good, a tiny thank you.  Saw the wife that afternoon ... nadda. Asked her if the fish was okay ... she was like "yes" ... that's it, no thank you, nothing ... I was like, that's the last time you're getting a fish from me you ungrateful b#DStch.

I'm pretty much done with her ... she is an idiot.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    rlew said:
    MY neighbor would leave their 3 dogs out on their deck all day and let them bark. I finally had enough and had to ask her to do something about it. Inside working during the day and all I could hear all day long was the little ankle biters barking. Neighbors can be inconsiderate. Not supporting your neighbor at all, she sounds like a pain.

I agree 110%. Big difference between doing routine yard work (grass mowing, leaf blowing ect) vs dog barking.

I live in the country and have a neighbor with a larger white dog that yips. It is a house dog that they put outside in a kennel. What do you thing the dog is going to do but yep and want back inside. Think about your neighbors that have to listen to it every afternoon and evening. I mow and clear leaves and so do all other neighbors. It is part of having property to maintain. Allowing your dog to bark daily for over 1 hour is just being a selfish, inconsiderate neighbor.

I can call on the annoyance ordinance but that will just add friction. I just don't get it.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Is there an HOA you could call by any chance?
    No, private residence. I wasn't breaking any laws ... if I stopped, it would have been only out of sympathy ... but the way she came over, and spoke as if she was the pope, and could command such things ... I was like WTF??