Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share Your Unpopular Barbecue Opinion

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    This forum is great.
    I like Texas ( and Texans) but their BBQ is not that impressive 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    TTC said:
    I guess Carolina style brisket is the best?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited October 2020
    I learned Miley Cyrus has a sister, Noah Cyrus.  I would love to invite the whole Cyrus clan to a BBQ.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    TTC said:
    Just curious what in your opinion is impressive BBQ?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    edited October 2020
    TTC said:
    TTC said:
    Just stirring it up a bit. Lived in Dallas from 1991-2000, traveled most of the state. Had plenty of good Q and a whole lot of mediocre too. 

Given a choice I’m an Eastern NC whole hog guy. Brisket just not my favorite, but I do like the simplicity of Texas Q (salt, pepper, smoke) 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    TTC said:
    TTC said:
    TTC said:
    Just stirring it up a bit. Lived in Dallas from 1991-2000, traveled most of the state. Had plenty of good Q and a whole lot of mediocre too. 

Given a choice I’m an Eastern NC whole hog guy. Brisket just not my favorite, but I do like the simplicity of Texas Q (salt, pepper, smoke) 
    Not offended, just curious. I’m a born and raised Texan and for every amazing TX BBQ place I’ve eaten at I’ve also eaten at 5 mediocre to terrible ones. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    Here in Alabama it's 5,000 terrible pulled pork joints for every 1 ok one. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I learned Miley Cyrus has a sister, Noah Cyrus.  I would love to invite the whole Cyrus clan to a BBQ.
    Yep, I have Noah’s cd on my iPhone. I would skip Mulier on my barbecue invitation list though.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Bump
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    @Foghorn - thanks.  Have you placed a probe on the top layer of foil to check about what kind of a delta in temp you're able to obtain between the air underneath the brisket vs the dome?
    So, I am currently cooking a brisket on my XXL.  The setup is a little different than the one pictures previously in this thread (which was on my XL) but based on the same principles.  We got a thermometer and measured at different points inside the egg. 

With a cold (19 lbs before trimming - probably only trimmed 1 pound of fat) brisket shortly after we put it on I got the following readings:

BGE dome thermometer 200.
    Above the brisket 245
    Under the brisket 192

I let it ride there most of the night.  I opened the  vents slightly at 4 AM and slightly more at 6 AM.

At about 8 AM with the meat temp reading 147 we got the following readings. 

BGE dome thermometer 250
    Above the brisket 303
    Below the brisket 205
    Temperature in the space where the hot air is rising around the platesetter/conveggtor 254.  (Note that I have the platesetter/conveggtor sitting legs down on top of an Arteflame grate that has a hole in the center - trying to recreate the Harvard design. This was my son’s idea after he looked at the various accessories I have.)

So, the setup does indeed seem to work to achieve the goal of having the heat from the top - so the brisket can be cooked fast side up - as it is meant to be.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @Foghorn Many thanks for the detailed work here.  How far below your dome thermo did you read the above brisket temp as I don't have the vertical room you enjoy with the your XL and now XXL rig?
    BTW- being old and slow I have a brisket rolling as well but same old fat side down setup.  Late to the fire this AM as I have no set time for slice and serve so it will be several more hours til "victory."  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on eats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @Foghorn You make me want to try something new. What if I smoked my brisket in the offset until I reach the stall, then move the brisket into the wood oven. At temps around 250 degrees, my wood oven provides and incredibly stable temperature. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn said:
    @Foghorn - thanks.  Have you placed a probe on the top layer of foil to check about what kind of a delta in temp you're able to obtain between the air underneath the brisket vs the dome?
    So, I am currently cooking a brisket on my XXL.  The setup is a little different than the one pictures previously in this thread (which was on my XL) but based on the same principles.  We got a thermometer and measured at different points inside the egg. 

With a cold (19 lbs before trimming - probably only trimmed 1 pound of fat) brisket shortly after we put it on I got the following readings:

BGE dome thermometer 200.
    Above the brisket 245
    Under the brisket 192

I let it ride there most of the night.  I opened the  vents slightly at 4 AM and slightly more at 6 AM.

At about 8 AM with the meat temp reading 147 we got the following readings. 

BGE dome thermometer 250
    Above the brisket 303
    Below the brisket 205
    Temperature in the space where the hot air is rising around the platesetter/conveggtor 254.  (Note that I have the platesetter/conveggtor sitting legs down on top of an Arteflame grate that has a hole in the center - trying to recreate the Harvard design. This was my son’s idea after he looked at the various accessories I have.)

So, the setup does indeed seem to work to achieve the goal of having the heat from the top - so the brisket can be cooked fast side up - as it is meant to be.
    Thanks Dan.  To me it seems that what's basically happening here is that the brisket itself is helping to keep the space below it cool.  So the air gap between the protein and the slab below it helps effect that.  Then coupled with directing the air flow around allows the hot air flow to focus towards the top of the BGE, such that it can effectively cook from the top down.

I don't necessarily see why that would yield a markedly better result, but I'll try anything at least once.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    You guys are way too coherent for a Sunday afternoon.  That said, I can follow the discussion...
    @SciAggie - cook temp is cook temp but the cooking environment of your wood oven has got to be quite different.  Just something to consider.
    Of course, being in Texas you can get briskets for cheap compared to the rest of us who have to weigh carefully any experimenting.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    @lousubcap You correct. I’m not sure I see any benefit to moving my brisket to the WFO other than it just saving wood. If I wrap in paper or foil then I just need heat afterwards- as you say. The wood oven gives me that more efficiently, plus if the protein is wrapped it won’t be picking up smoke. 
    I could accomplish the same inside the house, but that just seems blasphemous, lol. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    @lousubcap,

I've got the brisket sitting pretty high in the dome so I took the reading by dropping the thermometer through the dome.  My guess is that it was about 2" above the brisket - which is about the same level as my dome thermo.  I think that there is some laminar flow of the hot air.  The air closest to the ceramic is cooler than the air even an inch or two further away from it.  

@SciAggie, I've done a number of large (5+ briskets plus 30 racks of ribs or whatever) and that is about how we usually do our briskets.  We typically put the briskets on the offsets for about 4 hours - shooting for internal temp of 140 or so but we don't always achieve it - because - you know - that's when meat doesn't absorb much smoke according to some sources.  Then we switch them to kamados - and put the pork on the offset.  Everything gets the good offset smoke and gets done on time.  We've had some very good results.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Back to the old heat transfer text books. @Foghorn based on your description it sounds like the dome thermo in your elevated rig is a good approximation of the brisket environment.  Related, with a LBGE I find that every time I have to "brick" (placed under the cut due to size constraints) a brisket it always finishes faster than a guesstimate.   I have mentioned my reasoning ( closer to the dome, akin to your work here) a few times.
    That said, I can't get the real estate elevation in my LBGE to play with your rig.  No worries as I'm not in Texas and my briskets turn out just fine for a fly over country banquet. 
    Stay healthy and safe-
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @SciAggie , @Foghorn, and @lousubcap it was made clear by @JohnInCarolina that this thread if for bad opinions only. Please cease the beneficial discussion.
  • @SciAggie , @Foghorn, and @lousubcap it was made clear by @JohnInCarolina that this thread if for bad opinions only. Please cease the beneficial discussion.
    Not *bad* opinions - *unpopular* ones.  There’s an important distinction there.  Lots of unpopular opinions are correct!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    A-1 Sauce is good on BBQ
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    @SciAggie , @Foghorn, and @lousubcap it was made clear by @JohnInCarolina that this thread if for bad opinions only. Please cease the beneficial discussion.
    Not *bad* opinions - *unpopular* ones.  There’s an important distinction there.  Lots of unpopular opinions are correct!
    Fair point!  Although "Wisdom of Crowds" is a real thing.
  • Foghorn
    "Lots of unpopular opinions are correct!"

I know that all of mine are.  
    ;) 

San Antonio, TX

• Turbo sucks. Low and slow for the win.  =)
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • SonVolt
    SciAggie said:
    A-1 Sauce is good on BBQ

I wouldn't slather it on a steak, but A -1 Sauce is solid as far as condiments go.

• SciAggie
    See, that's the problem I'm having following the instructions for this thread. I can't have a productive conversation; that's against the rules. I'm only supposed to offer an unpopular opinion of my own. How shall I know my opinion is unpopular? I don't generally offer an opinion and then poll listeners to determine if the opinion is unpopular. If I post an opinion here and someone agrees with it, do I need to remove the post since I've determined it's not actually unpopular? This is stressful. I'm at work and can't start enjoying adult beverages yet.

(The above commentary is intended for mature listeners only. Any statement that is taken as anything other than humorous is unintentional. I have enough stress in my life.)

If you you are not aligned with any of the above statements or think it may be unpopular, feel free to disagree.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    edited October 2020
    I think spare ribs when done right are better than brisket. (Don't shoot me)
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Not a Fan of Rubs with Coffee --

fade away homer simpson GIF
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie said:
    See, that's the problem I'm having following the instructions for this thread. I can't have a productive conversation; that's against the rules. I'm only supposed to offer an unpopular opinion of my own. How shall I know my opinion is unpopular? I don't generally offer an opinion and then poll listeners to determine if the opinion is unpopular. If I post an opinion here and someone agrees with it, do I need to remove the post since I've determined it's not actually unpopular? This is stressful. I'm at work and can't start enjoying adult beverages yet.

(The above commentary is intended for mature listeners only. Any statement that is taken as anything other than humorous is unintentional. I have enough stress in my life.)

If you you are not aligned with any of the above statements or think it may be unpopular, feel free to disagree.
    I am easily confused, but this entire thread has only made matters worse for me.
    Stillwater, MN