Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Movie Room ideas

Options
TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited October 2020 in Off Topic
So when we bought this house the home office was converted to a playroom. The plan has always been to change it to a movie room/man cave/kids hangout room. Well now with the job situation under control I’m moving forward. The room is about 12x12 so not huge and I’m not looking for a crazy set up. Plan to just get a 65-75” tv and a simple sound bar or decent 5.1 system. I’m an audiophile but clearly the limitations of this room don’t allow for much. Any thoughts as to layout, tv size and type of audio, furniture? Here are some pictures. Disregard the green tape, that’s just for reference for tv sizes. Smallest would be a 65”, middle is 75” and largest would be 82”. The big console is going to be moved to our livingroom and we are moving a smalller tv stand in here on that wall.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    75 -80" 4k TV would put you at around 10 ft viewing distance.  Could put reclining theater seats by  opposite wall.  5.1 satellite surround system w/ 10 - 12" subwoofer.  Would have to keep TV where u have it now to account for seating as it appears the one wall has French doors.  
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That's exciting.
    My 2cents.
    Mount your TV to the wall and then mount a sound bar below your TV.
    The sound quality from a good sound bar and wireless Sub is amazing. And it's nice NOT to have to run everything through a bulky stereo system.
    Mount a couple floating shelves underneath to hold your cable box, dvd/bluray player if needed. It will make the room feel so much bigger. They make nice cable hiders to clean up the look.
    Maxing out at 70"-75" TV is plenty big and the money savings will probably cover your sound bar. We also like playing music through the sound bar via bluetooth from our phones and iPads.
    The bottom of my 70" tv is 48" off the ground and viewing is no problem at this height.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Any cable you're running through the wall, run a back up.  A HDMI or Optical crapping the bed is relatively likely....and a headache.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,520
    Options
    75 -80" 4k TV would put you at around 10 ft viewing distance.  Could put reclining theater seats by  opposite wall.  5.1 satellite surround system w/ 10 - 12" subwoofer.  Would have to keep TV where u have it now to account for seating as it appears the one wall has French doors.  
    I would suggest this ... no sound bar is going to replace a true 5.1 system, with a 10" sub ... I'll admit they're good ... but you ain't replacing this quality. I'd spend more time thinking about what brand of speakers and receiver to buy.  

If I can offer ... and depends on your budget, but Paradigm Speakers are probably the best value/quality for the money ... still reasonable territory and will kick but when lined up against the competition.  Some nice atom speakers mounted on stands on either side of the couch would do the trick. Center channel and mains are easy to wire on an entertainment center.  10" sub is a must ... and probably good for that size room, don't bother with anything smaller than that.

For receiver ... you can't beat Yamaha ... easy to get an entry level 5.1 for a few $100. If you can afford to get one that has Atmos ... then go for it ... that rating almost automatically tells me you are getting into a quality receiver, which I think if you shop around, you'll find in the $500 to $700 territory.

As for TV ... Samsung provides again best value for money ... under $2k gets you a quality 75" ... in fact we bought a 4k last month and that was around $1000 USD. 

Running wires to the rear speakers is a non-issue ... you can easily run under that carpet against the baseboard.

In the end, it all comes down to budget ... but after doing about 7 home theater rooms ... the above is the best quality/budget that I can.

In the end if you can budget on the following, you're good:

- Speakers and Sub .... $2000 - $2500
    - Receiver ... $500 to $750
    - TV ... $1000 to $1500
    - Cables ... $200 (don't skimp on the speaker cables).

If you have more like a much smaller budget ... then you need to rethink. I'd almost start off with all the above, but for the speakers, just get the left/right mains and add the rest later when you have the cash (center, sub and rears). You can cheap out a bit on the receiver, as I said above, but stick with Yamaha. Don't buy crap ... it's not worth it.

I've recommended this setup to others ... and then some salesman talks them into getting a Sony Amp, or some other speakers like Polk ... they're okay ... but they're not going to give you the same quality of sound ... anyone I know who has strayed away from my recommendation on the audio, in the least bit, was disappointed ... because they could compare to my setup ... and they told me so outright.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I have had a pleasant experience with Bose and Sonos. Thoughts on their sound bars? I like a clean look. At present i'm debating between a 75" and 85" LG or Samsung 4K. Id love to get a 5.1 or 7.1 System with a Mark Levinson Set up but I just don't think this space justifies it. Viewing and Listening distance will be between 9-11ft dependent upon whether I am mounting directly to the wall or setting it on my current Stand.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    I'm not a fan of Bose ... I think you're paying for the name more than anything. Do yourself a favor ... check out the Paradigm ATOM (bookshelf) speakers ... you can even use them as your mains and rears ... that's what I did for my first setup. I couldn't be happier ... and I've gone through LOTS of different speaker brands over the years, including KEF ... which I also loved.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I agree with the statement above. You're paying for the name and not necessarily the quality of the speakers. 

You can find some really nice second hand speakers/systems for pennies on the dollar. I picked up these Pinnacle Quantum surround sounds speakers last month for the garage. I believe they retailed around $1,500 for the surround sound system. I found them on Craigslist for $50 (Minus the sub) in like new condition.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    I’ve got Sonos sound bar and sub in my 22x22 living room. Works great. No complaints here whatsoever 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Just a quick observation: do you have bright light coming through the french doors (lights on in adjacent room/sunlight)?  If so, check out the LG sets vs. the others at your local Best Buy, and look to see how the neon lights in the ceiling reflect on the sets' screens.  The LG screens have more of a matte finish and works really well in my setup (picture window right behind me) at minimizing the reflections.  If you can darken everything then no big deal.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I agree with the statement above. You're paying for the name and not necessarily the quality of the speakers. 

You can find some really nice second hand speakers/systems for pennies on the dollar. I picked up these Pinnacle Quantum surround sounds speakers last month for the garage. I believe they retailed around $1,500 for the surround sound system. I found them on Craigslist for $50 (Minus the sub) in like new condition.
    Actually, good point! ... I found my paradigm front L/R speakers on a listing ... excellent condition and 30% of retail price. 
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Klipsch speakers paired with a Marantz receiver is what I have.  I am pleased with both for the money. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Eggin_in_PA
    Options
    This is my current setup ... 7.1 channel, with a 110" projection screen.

Mark, what projector are you using?  Been wanting one for a while now, but was not too thrilled with the bulb life.
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Oh man, this is my jam. I'm about to leave work so can't offer any tips until later.  Here's our theater room that we converted from a spare 15x17' guest room. 

Did you do all that trim work yourself?

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I have had a pleasant experience with Bose and Sonos. Thoughts on their sound bars? I like a clean look. At present i'm debating between a 75" and 85" LG or Samsung 4K. Id love to get a 5.1 or 7.1 System with a Mark Levinson Set up but I just don't think this space justifies it. Viewing and Listening distance will be between 9-11ft dependent upon whether I am mounting directly to the wall or setting it on my current Stand.
    IF you go the Sonos route you need the sub for the sound bar. It makes a huge difference. Check out SnapAV website for some racking/mounting/connection ideas. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Life is too short for cheap beer and sound bars, gramps used to tell me...
    edited October 2020
    Options
    12 x 12 is perfect for solid sound without insane amounts of equipment.  A few houses ago, I had a similar sized room.  I went with HSU for fronts, centers, and surrounds.  A Rythmik FV-15HP handled the lows.  I loved the room and the sound I could get in there. With a nice 75" 4K or even 8K set and proper audio it would be awesome.  A soundbar makes a TV room.  Proper audio makes a theater room.  Do not skimp on the audio.  I would look for a full Atmos setup.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I just removed a Yamaha 5/1 with all paradigm speakers and replaced it with Sonos (playbase, sub and 2 rears). That is in our family room and I really like it. The room (12x18) was a bit small for all the gear.  I have the tv on a base that hides all of the extras ( sat rec, DVD,matrix switch, Apple TV box)
    Downstairs we have a dedicated movie room, projector, screen, popcorn machine, etc. That room has Yamaha 7/1 with all klipsh speakers. 
    I like sonos for the small room, we have other sonos speakers around the house and having music everywhere is nice, funny enough, we usually watch tv upstairs in the smaller room. 
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Full disclosure, I used to work for Bose and am a big fan of the company.  

In regards to soundbars, I really think Bose is best in class. Their soundbar does a simulated surround sound that is significantly better than any other soundbar I've ever heard.  Additionally, it can be paired with a wireless rears for a more complete surround sound.

If you live in close proximity to a Bose store, I'd recommend swinging though to learn more about the simulated surround sound.  It's truly special.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I really like the idea of the Sonos arc and the fact that it has Dolby atmos. Given my room size could I get a good system with a receiver, a couple good bookshelf speakers and a sub for the same $800 that the Sonos Arc is priced at? Idea would be to later add a couple rears for 5.1. And the question also would be would that set up be better than the Sonos Arc?

• Mark_B_Good
    Options
    This is my current setup ... 7.1 channel, with a 110" projection screen.

Mark, what projector are you using?  Been wanting one for a while now, but was not too thrilled with the bulb life.
    I have an Epson PowerLite. It is basically an entry level professional projector that will run in the $2500 range (again best quality for the money).

I've had it for over 3 years, use it like a TV, bulb is still no issue. Here's the kicker, when I bought the projector, they threw in a replacement bulb, so I think I'm good for like 10 years, lol.  Bulbs are about $130 to $200, and pretty easy to change. I wouldn't write off this option because of that ... it offers an incredible movie experience (or call of duty experience lol).
  • Mark_B_Good
    Options
    Legume said:
    I don’t want to see any of you complaining about lump prices.  Nice rooms and equipment.
    I was waiting for that comment. Lol.
  • johnnyp
    Options
    And the question also would be would that set up be better than the Sonos Arc?
    I assume that question was directed at me.

Better? idk. Depends on your priorities.  Sonos is the leader for wireless multi-room audio. 

In regards to sound quality, frankly, I have no idea. I've never heard the Arc.  In regards to simulated surround sound, I have never heard a soundbar that comes close to the Bose product.  
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Oh man, this is my jam. I'm about to leave work so can't offer any tips until later.  Here's our theater room that we converted from a spare 15x17' guest room. 

No, I wish. I showed this picture (that I stole from the internet) to our contractor who was remodeling our home at the time (new trim, flooring, painting etc) and he went out and bought some MDF and had it up in a couple of days. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    I had a coworker a few decades ago whose boyfriend was a trim carpenter. His motto on his company t-shirts was "tight trim is right trim" which is both technically true and funny.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I remember having an AM only transistor radio and a earpiece was Awesome !!
    Nothing finer than Baseball on that thing 

Everything is Relative 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

No, I wish. I showed this picture (that I stole from the internet) to our contractor who was remodeling our home at the time (new trim, flooring, painting etc) and he went out and bought some MDF and had it up in a couple of days. 
    I like the way you roll man. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike