Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Movie Room ideas

Options
2»

Comments

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    We built a Home Theater back in the day,  DVD was just coming out and the only movie available then was Space Jam  :)

Our room is 10x16, small but effective.  106” projection, started on a wall with the idea of getting a screen but the picture is so good that we still have the wall.  

Optima projector from Costco, and Paradigm Speakers.  While in college, worked at the Paradigm factory making them, met my wife there, still married (36 years) and still buying Paradigm.

The best equipment you can buy is a good UPS.  I did the day after my 1st projector blew a $700 bulb in a power outage (old projectors had to cool for 20 or more)

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    EggNorth said:
    The best equipment you can buy is a good UPS.  I did the day after my 1st projector blew a $700 bulb in a power outage (old projectors had to cool for 20 or more)
    Owch!  

I don't have a projector, so no worries there.  Had a UPS with my '07 iMac, but with iCloud I'm not worried about losing data anymore, and have a whole-house power conditioner for spikes (I guess they're pretty popular in FL, but not around here).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited October 2020
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Oh man, this is my jam. I'm about to leave work so can't offer any tips until later.  Here's our theater room that we converted from a spare 15x17' guest room. 

Sonvolt.  Whats the approx w.h.l of this raised floor piece.  Trying figure our how much room is needed from the nack of the front row.  Feet room if you will

Columbus, Ohio
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    So for seating I’ve got really 2 options. I found a company online where I can get a single row of 4 powered movie recliners. These would go against 1 wall opposite the TV. The other option is a L shaped sectional. I currently have the tv on a pretty big tv stand that is going to get replaced. I will have the TV hung on the wall and a small console underneath for all my stuff. Thoughts on seating? The sectional would fit probably 5-6 versus only 4 with the recliners

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I would go with the four reclining chairs and a couple high end bean bags if you want two extra seats. The side angle from the sectional may make it hard to see. We put two bean bags from fombag in our game room and I sit in those as much as I do the sectional.  They are awesome!   
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited October 2020
    Options
    So for seating I’ve got really 2 options. I found a company online where I can get a single row of 4 powered movie recliners. These would go against 1 wall opposite the TV. The other option is a L shaped sectional. I currently have the tv on a pretty big tv stand that is going to get replaced. I will have the TV hung on the wall and a small console underneath for all my stuff. Thoughts on seating? The sectional would fit probably 5-6 versus only 4 with the recliners

In a room like that occupied by the whole family (and their friends) you'll probably have more fun with the sectional. Everyone can kinda cram in and get a seat, where as with the theater seating, it's a max of 4.

Also, unless the recliners are "wall away", they'll need to be spaced out from the back wall a bit. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    jdMyers said:
    SonVolt said:
    Oh man, this is my jam. I'm about to leave work so can't offer any tips until later.  Here's our theater room that we converted from a spare 15x17' guest room. 

Sonvolt.  Whats the approx w.h.l of this raised floor piece.  Trying figure our how much room is needed from the nack of the front row.  Feet room if you will

13'10" wide, 12' deep with I think an 8" riser. If I were to do it again I'd make the riser 10-12". 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I was thinking code on the platform height was around 7-8" without additional steps.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    Options
    I'm not sure, I'm not a "check the code" person since we live in a remote area.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @bucky925 - why the heck did you need to spoil an awesome space like that with a bunch of Tar Heel memorabilia?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina. I wasn't trying to be obvious but since you brought it up, here's another corner  =)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
    Six is greater than five ain't it?

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    6*

J/K- no dog in this fight. We only have 2 so a distant 3rd from both schools. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
    Six is greater than five ain't it?

Good to see that while you’re still trying to master taking a picture from a cell phone and posting it to this forum, at least you haven’t lost the ability to count to six.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike