Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is Butter a condiment?

Options
Watching burger scholars on Youtube.  George Motz called butter a condiment.  Do you agree?  After much thought, I think it is.
A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    IMO, butter is like Voka and Gin. Most people think it’s all the same until they have a chance to compare it a quality product where it shines.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A mother distillate in food terms is suggestive of an entree or plat.  

Butter is a fat used for cooking, infrequently a condiment for bread, esp freshly baked.
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    IMO, butter is like Voka and Gin. Most people think it’s all the same until they have a chance to compare it a quality product where it shines.
    I used to pocket the butter packets from breakfasts.  Now I prefer Kerigold.  There is a definite quality difference.  You are correct, until your eyes or taste buds have been opened, you do not realize the quality difference.

A mother distillate in food terms is suggestive of an entree or plat.  

Butter is a fat used for cooking, infrequently a condiment for bread, esp freshly baked.
    Toasted banana bread with butter is my favorite.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_condiments

says it is so that is good enough for me.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Is olive oil a condiment?  If you think so, then one would think butter is. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    to add good REAL butter isn't land-o-lakes
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the butter isle has exploded with higher end butter choices since this covid started, lots of smaller local farms making butter. lots of choices from vermont
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Try smoked butter on crackers, thank me later 😀
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,045
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I have a bunch of heavy cream on hand.  I might just try making some butter.  YouTube makes it look easy.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have a bunch of heavy cream on hand.  I might just try making some butter.  YouTube makes it look easy.
    Correct:

Incorrect:

Options
    It is easy. Works better/faster if you let the cream warm up rather than cold from the fridge. 60° should do it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
      Now I prefer Kerigold.  There is a definite quality difference.  You are correct, until your eyes or taste buds have been opened, you do not realize the quality difference.

I agree! Kerigold OR nothing else! Also kept on the counter in a butter bell!
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/*:*/fl_butter-bell/store-1?localStore=true&icid=hp_homepage_2st0_2st1_im_store_20055&view=GRID&removeInStock=true
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Depends on how it is being used. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    Options

landolakes for things it doesnt matter, good butter for finishing, spreading etc
    fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    So would ketchup/catsup on top of a meat loaf no longer be a condiment?

If you dip your ketchup covered meat loaf into a puddle of ketchup does it become a condiment?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I think it is....Thai Chili Roasted Garlic Butter  =)

garlic roasted, thai chillis roasted?  any other ingrediants, i could see adding a little honey for certain things
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I think it is....Thai Chili Roasted Garlic Butter  =)

garlic roasted, thai chillis roasted?  any other ingrediants, i could see adding a little honey for certain things
    Just the garlic was roasted ,mixed garlic and chili in a molcajete theninto room temp salted butter....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Here, its frosting.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MO_Eggin
    Options
    RRP said:
      Now I prefer Kerigold.  There is a definite quality difference.  You are correct, until your eyes or taste buds have been opened, you do not realize the quality difference.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s/*:*/fl_butter-bell/store-1?localStore=true&icid=hp_homepage_2st0_2st1_im_store_20055&view=GRID&removeInStock=true
    Kerrigold is second to our household favorite Plugra, which has been really hard to find since the Covid.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited September 2020
    Options
    MO_Eggin said:
    RRP said:

Kerrigold is second to our household favorite Plugra, which has been really hard to find since the Covid.
    Hmm, need to keep my eye out for Plugra.  I am not familiar with it.

Edit, OMG!  Be still be heart.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

landolakes for things it doesnt matter, good butter for finishing, spreading etc
    I like American-style butter (good ol' LO'L)  for baking certain things (biscuits, brioche rolls) because of the extra water in it. Helps with oven spring.

Kerrygold for toast, eggs, etc. where the taste/flavor matters, mostly because it is readily available vs. other European-style butters.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options

If you dip your ketchup covered meat loaf into a puddle of ketchup does it become a condiment?
    Asking the real questions.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    My thoughts are not in and of itself. But if used as a spread or as a dip sure why not.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Face it: a condiment is using a specific food in the context of a table serving side option to add to other food.  Any condiment can be used as an ingredient in cooking.  Also, who cares?
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Face it: a condiment is using a specific food in the context of a table serving side option to add to other food.  Any condiment can be used as an ingredient in cooking.  Also, who cares?
    Who cares!?  Who cares!?  These types of questions keep me up at night. (Plus condiments do not add calories).

Is a garnish a condiment then?  Or is a condiment a garnish?

I am extremely offended that you do not validate my concerns.  You sir, are not nice.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Ok, sorry to hurt your feelings.  It's probably more important than America falling into authoritarian rule, where elections don't count.
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Ok, sorry to hurt your feelings.  It's probably more important than America falling into authoritarian rule, where elections don't count.
    Oh, no that is hugely important and the rhetoric is straight up scary.  I suspect it will get worse before it gets better.

However, I cannot do anything about that because I am heavily restricted in travel and gatherings due to COVID-19.

Plus, this is a BBQ forum, and life and other questions still go on.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @nolaegghead C'mon my friend - git yer priorities straight...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon