Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brats on a SM using a part of my small egg

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited September 2020 in EggHead Forum
Does it count as on topic since I used an xl kick ash basket and a small fire ring??  This has become one of my favorite setups for weeknights 
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Options

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Yummy

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    Clever, looks killer !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    I don't know if it counts or not, but I'd eat every one of those brats - so it's a good post in my book.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cool setup! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2020
    Options
    It’s great because I can use briquettes for stuff like this, lump for faster cooks that demand more sear like steak or remove the ring and use lump to start splits and roll. 

I’ve had a bad habit of overfilling the fuel and wasting a bunch. This helps me keep it in reason
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    I love this setup - great idea.  I may try this on my Hasty-Bake to concentrate a pile of coals.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    That is pure creativity.  Way to mix and match and nail the cook.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I have always been an advocate of briquettes. There are several scenarios where they really shine and are just far more practical. To this day I use briquettes on my mini 90% of the time. 
    I have said it many times before and I will say it again now, there is just something special about meat “grilled” over briquettes.  
    On a separate note, great looking grub my friend and a thumbs up for using briquettes 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    We grill at work, we have four 26.5” kettles (convinced the big boss to buy them), my 22.5” kettle, and my mini egg. Since we use briqs in the kettles, I use it in the mini all the time, just like @SGH. I find it works incredibly well. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,035
    Options
    It’s great because I can use briquettes for stuff like this, lump for faster cooks that demand more sear like steak or remove the ring and use lump to start splits and roll. 

I’ve had a bad habit of overfilling the fuel and wasting a bunch. This helps me keep it in reason
    After using briquettes, I hope you do not put that back in your Egg.  Pretty sure briquettes void the warranty too.

Aside from that, awesome setup!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Who’s counting? Joy was found there for sure.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • cookingdude555
    Options

After using briquettes, I hope you do not put that back in your Egg.  Pretty sure briquettes void the warranty too.

Aside from that, awesome setup!
    They don't void the warranty.  There are many briq options these days that are chemical free, and bound by vegetable oils or other natural binders.  They function quite well in an egg.

https://biggreenegg.com/warranty/