Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uhmmm....

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    edited August 2020
    This.... looks real!

:o  

EDIT:  Ewps, already posted elsewhere.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited August 2020
    From Wisconsin:

Turns out that photo is not what is was portrayed as in the media. Appears that Reuters screwed up.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll find out in the next couple of weeks the real scope of the problem across the country and if there really are any "geographic anomalies".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,866
    @HeavyG - thanks.  Always good to get that sort of thing corrected.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    HeavyG said:
    From Wisconsin:

Turns out that photo is not what is was portrayed as in the media. Appears that Reuters screwed up.

Regardless, I'm sure we'll find out in the next couple of weeks the real scope of the problem across the country and if there really are any "geographic anomalies".

the only box in my city for the last 3 decades sits in front of the post office, you have to drive to the post office to use it. they removed all the street boxes years and years ago.  in pennsylvania you mail in your request for mail in ballot by oct 27, they process it  and mail your ballot back, you fill it in and mail it back by nov 3, no geographic anomaly there =) smooth sailing there, i used to have a pencil in the mail box to write "delivered to wrong address" on mail on a daily basis, mail man stole my pencil. last house on the street gets everyones mail
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Just reading up on Modern Monetary Theory.  Anyone have any thoughts to the validity of the concept?

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited August 2020
    how about non-whites without college degrees voting for Biden.....your comparison is totally garbage.

or how about anyone with a college degree and gainfully employed???

Or how about just getting over the fact that not everyone agrees with you?
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • how about non-whites without college degrees voting for Biden.....your comparison is totally garbage.

Simma down Moby. You should totally be a pollster, then you can post the results of your own polls and dispute some of these fly by night pollsters like Pew.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2020
    how about non-whites without college degrees voting for Biden.....your comparison is totally garbage.

Simma down Moby. You should totally be a pollster, then you can post the results of your own polls and dispute some of these fly by night pollsters like Pew.. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina

I think you’re very confused.  It’s not my comparison.  What’s showing up there is simply a summary of the data from a recent poll.

There appears to be a pretty large demarcation between the two groups.  People can draw their own conclusions based on that.
  • speed51133
    edited August 2020

Simma down Moby. You should totally be a pollster, then you can post the results of your own polls and dispute some of these fly by night pollsters like Pew.
    Because Pew was so reliable prior to trump winning...

No idea what PEW presented in their findings and if it included all sorts of other data set results, but the presentation of those two data sets is incredibly flawed and trying to make a conclusion based on the flawed comparison. It is trying to say that only idiots vote for Trump.

I also extensively studied statistics and almost have a minor in math and degree in engineering as well as a JD. I can understand how polls are conducted and presented to show selective results. 
  • JohnInCarolina

What do you think it means for a polling organization to be reliable, exactly?
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    edited August 2020
    HeavyG said:
    From Wisconsin:

the only box in my city for the last 3 decades sits in front of the post office, you have to drive to the post office to use it. they removed all the street boxes years and years ago.  in pennsylvania you mail in your request for mail in ballot by oct 27, they process it  and mail your ballot back, you fill it in and mail it back by nov 3, no geographic anomaly there =) smooth sailing there, i used to have a pencil in the mail box to write "delivered to wrong address" on mail on a daily basis, mail man stole my pencil. last house on the street gets everyones mail
    Hey, we can request a no-excuse mail-in ballot online up to 50 days out, and even before if they let you. Then track it online. Unlike tax season, there's no benefit to waiting.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I had a certified letter delivered to my office last year that was mailed 2 years prior. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    Kayak said:
    HeavyG said:
    From Wisconsin:

Hey, we can request a no-excuse mail-in ballot online up to 50 days out, and even before if they let you. Then track it online. Unlike tax season, there's no benefit to waiting.

Kayak said:
    HeavyG said:
    From Wisconsin:

in mass the application for the ballot needs to be in by august 26, oct 27 is really pushing it for us that procrastinate ;)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    heres my next voting ballot, looks like "no nominations" is running for everything

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

STATE PRIMARY

REPUBLICAN

William Francis Galvin METHUEN
    Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Ward: 0 Precinct: 11

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2020

Please note: this is NOT a valid official ballot.

SENATOR IN CONGRESS

Vote for not more than 1

• SHIVA AYYADURAI    69 Snake Hill Rd., Belmont

KEVIN J. O'CONNOR    55 Glen St., Dover

REPRESENTATIVE IN CONGRESS

THIRD DISTRICT
    Vote for not more than 1

• NO NOMINATIONS   

COUNCILLOR

FIFTH DISTRICT
    Vote for not more than 1

• NO NOMINATIONS   

SENATOR IN GENERAL COURT

FIRST ESSEX DISTRICT
    Vote for not more than 1

• NO NOMINATIONS   

REPRESENTATIVE IN GENERAL COURT

FIFTEENTH ESSEX DISTRICT
    Vote for not more than 1

• NO NOMINATIONS   

REGISTER OF PROBATE

ESSEX COUNTY
    Vote for not more than 1

• NO NOMINATIONS   

fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Fish, I note that the seventh lines states:

What exactly IS that, that you posted?  :confused:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    Fish, I note that the seventh lines states:

What exactly IS that, that you posted?  :confused:  

the official ballot is the one they hand to you on voting day that you fill in the dots for the reader. but thats what will be on it, its sad. the dem version ballot has just the one person running per line to vote for, almost as sad, maybe just as sad. its like its all been fixed ahead of time (my conspiracy theory) if i dont go vote theres a chance my name wont be on the presidential sign in book, its been removed a few times over the years for unexplainable reasons
    fukahwee maine

• JohnInCarolina

No idea what PEW presented in their findings and if it included all sorts of other data set results, but the presentation of those two data sets is incredibly flawed and trying to make a conclusion based on the flawed comparison. It is trying to say that only idiots vote for Trump.

I also extensively studied statistics and almost have a minor in math and degree in engineering as well as a JD. I can understand how polls are conducted and presented to show selective results. 
    You might be the first person I’ve seen to cite *almost having a minor* in something as a testament of their knowledge.  

I’m just trying to reconcile your statistical prowess with your contention that Pew isn’t reliable based on the 2016 election.

Statistics... how do they work?
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I almost nailed Carol Hawkins in high school.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • speed51133
    edited August 2020

You might be the first person I’ve seen to cite *almost having a minor* in something as a testament of their knowledge.  

I’m just trying to reconcile your statistical prowess with your contention that Pew isn’t reliable based on the 2016 election.

IDK, I mean a year of statistics, 4 years of science school calculus (which is substantially harder than the calc BA students take), 4 years of calculus based physics, 3 years of calculus based chemistry, 2 years of statics and dynamics, 1 year of thermodynamics, 2 years of computer programming, 2 years of optimization, and god knows what else I am missing, I think that qualifies me as somewhat of knowledgeable in math. It may be only "almost" a minor in math, but it is a BS in engineering.

My point is that I was essentially told that my knowledge on statistics, which is ALL math and how to compare data sets (which is what your do in essentially every engineering class) DOES in fact qualify me to at least opine of the relevancy of two data sets used to make a conclusion.

ALSO, with respect to PEW, they, along with EVERYONE else, was totally wrong, not even a little wrong, but totally out of the park wrong with all of their predictions and analysis of the data sets used prior to trump winning in 2016.

If you see some flaw in my reasoning, by all means, please state it. But the adhominem attacks... please just shut it....

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    edited August 2020
    I thought this was a BBQ and other sundry flame cooked arts forum?

I like it more now.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

IDK, I mean a year of statistics, 4 years of calculus, 4 years of calculus based physics, 3 years of calculus based chemistry, 2 years of statics and dynamics, 1 year of thermodynamics, 2 years of computer programming, 2 years of optimization, and god knows what else I am missing, I think that qualifies me as somewhat of knowledgeable in math. It may be only "almost" a minor in math, but it is a BS in engineering.

My point is that I was essentially told that my knowledge on statistics, which is ALL math and how to compare data sets (which is what your do in essentially every engineering class) DOES in fact qualify me to at least opine of the relevancy of two data sets used to make a conclusion.

ALSO, with respect to PEW, they, along with EVERYONE else, was totally wrong, not even a little wrong, but totally out of the park wrong with all of their predictions and analysis of the data sets used prior to trump winning in 2016.

If you see some flaw in my reasoning, by all means, please state it. But the adhominem attacks... please just shut it....
    I would believe you have a degree in blowing smoke up your own azz, but that's pretty much all the credit I would give you based on the quality of your knowledge you've exhibited here.

PS - I would recommend using Nate Silver's aggregate polling data to take the proverbial temperature of the nation
    google 538
    Also, maybe post your college transcripts and birth certificate.
    edited August 2020

IDK, I mean a year of statistics, 4 years of science school calculus (which is substantially harder than the calc BA students take), 4 years of calculus based physics, 3 years of calculus based chemistry, 2 years of statics and dynamics, 1 year of thermodynamics, 2 years of computer programming, 2 years of optimization, and god knows what else I am missing, I think that qualifies me as somewhat of knowledgeable in math. It may be only "almost" a minor in math, but it is a BS in engineering.

I’m just curious, but what is your engineering degree and where is it from?  

As to the substance of your point, Pew’s last national poll in 2016 had Clinton up 46 to 40 over Trump.  The popular vote ended up being 48 to 46, so... yeah.  Way off, obviously.  Like not even in the same ballpark, just like you said...

But then I am only a professor of engineering with a secondary appointment in mathematics, so I’ll defer to your expertise here. 
  • speed51133
    edited August 2020

As to the substance of your point, Pew’s last national poll in 2016 had Clinton up 46 to 40 over Trump.  The popular vote ended up being 48 to 46, so... yeah.  Way off, obviously.  Like not even in the same ballpark, just like you said...

But then I am only a professor of engineering with a secondary appointment in mathematics, so I’ll defer to your expertise here. 
    I’m just curious, but what is your engineering degree and where is it from?  Please elaborate on the correlation to the argument.

Also, https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/02/27/research-confirms-professors-lean-left-questions-assumptions-about-what-means

Looks like your profession is somewhat indicative of political bias. What a shocker...

AND, I am not here to blow smoke up my, or anyone else's ass. I am here to point out that you guys are consistently making the point that anyone who disagrees with your political stance is not only wrong, but an absolute idiot. I am also trying to use logic and reasoning, which prompts you guys to attack my intellect, education, etc. Get over yourselves. You are not the authority on what is wrong and right. You have made your point. WE ALL know your stance. You do not need to consistently remind us. I love how it is cool and dandy for liberals on the forum to always chime in here and elsewhere how stupid conservatives are.....give it a rest already.
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2020

I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science from the University of New Hampshire.  I have an MS and PhD in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics from Northwestern.  

I have over 14 thousand citations to my research works and an h-index of 38.  My Google scholar page is here:

https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=XIihf9EAAAAJ&view_op=list_works&sortby=pubdate

Your turn.

• fishlessman

I’m just curious, but what is your engineering degree and where is it from?  Please elaborate on the correlation to the argument.

Also, https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/02/27/research-confirms-professors-lean-left-questions-assumptions-about-what-means

Looks like your profession is somewhat indicative of political bias. What a shocker...

OMFG =)
    fukahwee maine