Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Like riding a bike...kind of

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Visiting the in-laws, so I fired up the egg.  It probably hadn’t been lit in a year or more, so I burned it out last night to get it ready for today.

I have a couple thoughts after coming back to the egg, after spending years cooking on a smoker. My goal on my vault is always to have super clean smoke.  This is easy as I smoke with large chunks of post oak (sometimes cherry), and just stoke it as needed.  This means I always have a flame, so my smoke is usually really clear and clean.  

With the egg, this is a challenge, as the entire concept is based on smoldering heat.  Cen-Tex gave me an idea that I honestly never thought of, or heard of.  Start with a bed of wood chunks, and pour a ripping hot chimney of lump over the chunks.  The smoke will apparently clean up as it passes through the hot lump.  Look forward to trying that next time I’m down.

So to my cook, my MIL picked up spares and baby back ribs, which is not exactly what I would of done, but we’re making it work.  This cook reminded me of all the creative ways I used to make space on the egg.  I had to find room for my chef snacks (they were goood), and the 100s of cooks just rushed back.  I will say, I forgot how easy to he egg is to dial in temp...even bringing it back down.  

Here are a couple pics for now.  Will post more later.  Not terribly exciting, I know.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Good to see you back @cazzy. I tend to cook mostly on a large pellet smoker these days, but the egg is always a special way to cook a meal. Cooking on a larger smoker makes me forget the challenges faced on an egg. It always amazes me to see how creative people are in pulling off large cooks on the egg.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Those look awesome. Nice to see ya back around. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Welcome back, caz!

Those ribs are already lookin' good. Especially the spares.

And... you need to visit your in-laws more often :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I imagine these will be the best ribs to come off that egg.  You have been doing a lot of work since you Last cooked on these!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Welcome back.  That's some great looking grub.  What did you use for rub?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Welcome back.  That's some great looking grub.  What did you use for rub?
    Normally, I use my rib rub.  

But since I’m not home, I just did 2 parts pepper, 1 part k-salt, 1/4 part garlic, onion and chili powder.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Welcome home .......
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @cazzy Dude! Those look good. Come around more often and hang out. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    For a rookie, those ribs look perfectly acceptable.   =)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Definitely captured the skill-set with the bike reference.  Great looking cook.
    Since I'm here, if you want to broaden your horizons and be entertained all in one evening then give this thread a look and go:
    Community And Friday Night Foruming  
    Doors open around 9 PM (EDT) on Friday and last call can be anywhere from 1-2 AM.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looking good.  

Welcome back 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • cazzy
    Options
    Well, things escalated quickly.  The ribs feel over in some spots, mostly because I got a **** curveball.  My dog took a turn for the worse, couldn’t stand and was laboring very bad when he breathed.  Super quick, hard breaths with his tongue out and drooling a ton.  He’s a 15yo lab and we’ve been expecting this, but damn, what a crappy day.  We decided it was best to euthanize.  😢

I came back from the vet, glazed them and pulled them off.  They look good, but don’t think they’ll be my best effort.  

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    So sorry to hear this man. Tough day indeed.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    oh no! So sorry to hear that. Condolences to you and the family.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your buddy. That's never easy. For what it's worth, the ribs look terrific.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    So sorry about your companion. That’s awful. 
    New Orleans LA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Oh man, so sorry to hear what happened. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Sh!t!

That is a sad piece of news and I am sorry for the loss of your friend. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Man, very sorry for your loss.  Doing the right thing by your friend doesn't make it easier.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    That sucks man. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh man. So sorry caz. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Well f**k Cazzy. Not many things worse than the loss of a good dog. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. 15 years of unconditional love and memories that will last forever. I still miss all my dogs that I’ve ever had. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    So sorry cazz - losing a beloved pet is tragic.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Welcome back and sorry for your loss.  I'm sure he was a great companion.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Tough to deal with any time.  So sorry for your loss.
    I have found the following to be  worth the read:
    https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Oh man... sorry to hear this, caz. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.