Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I was just going to start some pizza dough for tomorrow and realized I'm out of flour (again). 
    NOLA
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I haven’t baked bread in quite a long time, but the WFO has gotten me back in to it. These first two loaves are Pain de Campagne from Forkish’s FWSY. I need to learn to how better work with high hydration doughs, and forming in to rounds. Needless to say, they came out looking great, and it is killing me to let them rest for 30 minutes before slicing. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Crumb came out looking great, very happy with this first effort. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @CTMike I'll warn you that 500 degrees in your wood oven is not the same as 500 degrees on the egg or in the house. You loose almost zero energy when you add bread to your wood oven - so watch it. It can cook faster/ brown more. Ask me how I know...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CTMike
    edited July 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @CTMike I'll warn you that 500 degrees in your wood oven is not the same as 500 degrees on the egg or in the house. You loose almost zero energy when you add bread to your wood oven - so watch it. It can cook faster/ brown more. Ask me how I know...
    Thanks for the tip. This was cooked in the electric hot box as I can’t fire up the WFO today as it isn’t weathered in and we have t-storms rolling in. Pizza tomorrow. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Well... I killed my starter.  I couldn’t find it in the basement fridge this morning.  After a search and rescue operation, I ended up finding it in a forgotten corner of the pantry.  SWMBO moved it there while cleaning up over a month ago.  All this time, I thought it was in the fridge 🤷‍♂️. I can't describe how bad the smell was when I opened the jar; dead body kind of bad.  I should have just tossed the jar in the trash but instead I scooped it out in the compost bin (bad move) and then rinsed the jar in the kitchen sink (worse move).  I can’t get rid of the smell 😳😳😳

Options
    I’ve made enough loaves that I figured it was worth purchasing a bannetton and lame (I’ve been using bowls and knives with decent results). Wow what a difference!

NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    paqman said:
    Well... I killed my starter.  I couldn’t find it in the basement fridge this morning.  After a search and rescue operation, I ended up finding it in a forgotten corner of the pantry.  SWMBO moved it there while cleaning up over a month ago.  All this time, I thought it was in the fridge 🤷‍♂️. I can't describe how bad the smell was when I opened the jar; dead body kind of bad.  I should have just tossed the jar in the trash but instead I scooped it out in the compost bin (bad move) and then rinsed the jar in the kitchen sink (worse move).  I can’t get rid of the smell 😳😳😳

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    paqman said:

Options
    Been there, smell is indescribable 
    Got me a starter going. Its been about a month since I started it. I went with the method that the annoying guy that talks into a cabinet on U-tube describes. First attempt at bread didn't rise (dont think my starter was at the right stage). Trash. Second attempt was a runny mess all over the counter. Trash. Third attempt actually made it to the Egg and in the DO. It came out ok. Taste was good texture was a bit chewy. Fourth attempt is in the fridge for a bake this evening. Good news is that we have had some great pancakes and waffles. I have always struggled with baking from scratch and am forcing my way through this. Trying to avoid buying all accoutrements until I'm sure that I can actually bake something worth a dam.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Waiting for it to cool a bit before tasting  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    Can you guy's recommend a vessel for bulk fermentation? I seem to be over fermenting and was wondering if a vessel with straight sides may help me judge the amount of rise. I'm in Fla so my ferment time is shorter than most but I am having trouble recognizing it. Thanks in advance, this whole baking thing is a new battle for me!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Can you guy's recommend a vessel for bulk fermentation? I seem to be over fermenting and was wondering if a vessel with straight sides may help me judge the amount of rise. I'm in Fla so my ferment time is shorter than most but I am having trouble recognizing it. Thanks in advance, this whole baking thing is a new battle for me!

I just use a bowl.  Sourdough rises a lot less (in my case) than regular yeasted bread.  If you do an overnight in the fridge ferment, you really can't go too wrong with 4-6 hours at room temp (considering 2 hours at the beginning with 30 min turn and folds).

For rectangles, though, look at lexans.

Something like this.

NOLA
  • paqman
    Options

Cambro

Thanks guys! @buzd504 been trying an overnight bulk followed by 12-24 hours in fridge. The overnight bulk is just too long in my case. Whats left after an overnight bulk is basically a big pile of slop...
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Made two country brown loaves with apple cinnamon bacon folded in.  Like most things involving bacon, I could have added more bacon.  

Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • paqman
    Options
    @Hoster05 you are killing it!

Options
    I haven’t seen @NPHuskerFL posting in a long long time, I was actually wondering about him.

Options
    paqman said:
    I haven’t seen @NPHuskerFL posting in a long long time, I was actually wondering about him.
    He's alive and kicking. I interact with him on IG some. He still posts there.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    My starter has been in progress for about 10 days, last couple it finally started having consistent life.  Proofing baskets are supposed to show up Friday and first loaf coming hopefully Saturday.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    paqman said:
    We played phone tag today.  But I still haven't talked to him since early on in the pandemic.

Options
    @SmartyPantz this looks pretty good to me!

First sour dough loaf.  Pretty sure it was overproofed which is partly why I had poor oven spring along with I’m sure a multitude of other mistakes. I do think will eat just fine though and it’s music listening to it crackle as it cools.

• paqman
    Options
    @FarmingPhD looks pretty solid to me!

Options
    Great color on that loaf @FarmingPhD !  Doesn't seem overproofed from here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Thanks @paqman & @caliking , flavor is great and texture is pretty good.  I’m not very familiar with what I should expect from sourdough texture. My crumb was fairly small and it had more moisture than I expected making it seem kind of heavy.  My wife used the term it seems tacky even though it is fully baked.  The high hydration doughs are definitely challenging to work but really cool how the gluten develops and it becomes workable. 

Edit: we cut into it at lunch and half a loaf was gone in 15 minutes.

• paqman
    Options
    @FarmingPhD  Did you let it fully cool before slicing?  The crumb on sourdough is a bit more « tacky » than yeast bread but it is worst if you slice while still warm.

paqman said:
    @FarmingPhD  Did you let it fully cool before slicing?  The crumb on sourdough is a bit more « tacky » than yeast bread but it is worst if you slice while still warm.

I let it cool almost 3 hours, so may have been above room temp but wouldn’t call it warm.  Good to know and will make sure we let it fully cool going forward.