Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: new toy (LSG Santa Maria)

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729

Got a new grill!! Rotisserie included! And side log burner.
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    She's purrrrty! I can't wait to see what you come up with for cooks! Congrats!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    Yep.  That's one that I don't have.  Yet.

Looks great.  Definitely post some pics when you use it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,756
    Options
    You are going to love it !....nice rig
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That’s a beauty. I like the brassero on the side. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    I bought a 40lb hog to do July 4th. I’ve never done a hog. I’m thinking 8-10 hours as long as it isn’t too windy?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I bought a 40lb hog to do July 4th. I’ve never done a hog. I’m thinking 8-10 hours as long as it isn’t too windy?
    That will be fun on there , plan extra time especially if you are getting it frozen
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    Fantastic.  Some of the best chicken I’ve ever had was spatched, marinated in a mojo and grilled whole on a rig just like that over oak.  That was in Santa Barbara.  I want one, some day.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2020
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    That will be fun on there , plan extra time especially if you are getting it frozen
    I’m not sure I even know what time to plan. Being open top, never cooked a hog anyhow and never used this grill lol... It will not be frozen. I’m picking it up the day before and will keep it in a yeti for 8-12 hours before loading it up on the spit. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I’m not sure I even know what time to plan. Being open top, never cooked a hog anyhow and never used this grill lol... It will not be frozen. I’m picking it up the day before and will keep it in a yeti for 8-12 hours before loading it up on the spit. 
    Enjoy the cook, for me is give it a dark am start for a 2 pm finish
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I was exposed to them while working on an assignment out in LA a few years back. You are gonna enjoy this ride. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    Hell yeah, that’s on my bucket list.
    Jacksonville FL
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    Congrats on the new cooker! Can't wait to see the whole hog cook!
    Arlington, TX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,335
    Options
    Super cool! That would be fun
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options
    Will be watching this as I have a LSG Santa Maria on the list.  I need to clear a few personal hurdles and then pull the trigger. 
    He!! of a virgin cook you've got in the queue.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Congratulations ole buddy. Now light it up

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Legume said:
    Fantastic.  Some of the best chicken I’ve ever had was spatched, marinated in a mojo and grilled whole on a rig just like that over oak.  That was in Santa Barbara.  I want one, some day.
    I loved doing TDYs to Vandenberg AFB, just for those chickens, and the tritip.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SciAggie
    Options
    Is there room to line the bottom with the 1/2 fire bricks?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I have been to a lot of catered functions where those are used, and they sure turn out some good grub! Have fun with it!
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    The proper way to break in that grill is with tri-tip. 😉

Enjoy. Looking forward to more cooks!
    New Orleans LA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    They specifically design it not to have bricks. Instead the coals are on a grate to get complete combustion. On the brosero, it has the fire bricks so the coals will last longer while they are waiting to be used.

I really love the cleanout on the bottom, it's allows extra air flow and easy cleaning.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    SciAggie said: moo
    They specifically design it not to have bricks. Instead the coals are on a grate to get complete combustion. On the brosero, it has the fire bricks so the coals will last longer while they are waiting to be used.

I really love the cleanout on the bottom, it's allows extra air flow and easy cleaning.
    Interesting. Thanks. I’ve not seen one in person. It looks like a great grill. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2020
    Options

@SciAggie I don’t know much about it yet. But clean up sure is a breeze.
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Tried a steak next. Nothing special just choice from Walmart while I get a feel for the grill.  It’s fun! But I don’t know what I’m doing yet and definitely haven’t found a resource like this one for cooking in this manner.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    For cooking over wood fires you might want to look at Francis Mallmann's books.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SciAggie
    Options

@SciAggie I don’t know much about it yet. But clean up sure is a breeze.
    Oh, I see now. That’s actually way cool. That should be easy to keep clean (and rust free).
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon