Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Time to reflect

Options
Folks, this is not a political post. One way or the other. These are my thoughts. 

Right now is the time to reflect on who we are. As individuals, communities and a country. What has happened over the last week is horrifying and it is all of our faults collectively. 

George Floyd was murdered by humans that wore a badge. That badge is supposed to represent service, protection and integrity. We failed George and many others before him. We have to be better and be accountable to those we are charged to serve.

Every single cop I know feels the same way. We are hurt, disgusted and embarrased that these issues still happen. It is incumbent on us to take ownership and remove any cancer among our ranks. Rebuild relationships and build trust. 

Last night one of my brothers was shot in the head apprehending a person that was agitating and escalating a protest that for many proceeding hours was peaceful and self policing. Shortly afterward, a few miles away, a person with multiple firearms and wearing body armor approached officers and reached for a gun. Those officers were put in a situation were they had to take a life. 

I don't know what the overall solution is. I do know that we, everyone, has to be better. I will continue to do what I do, for as long as I can, because I want to be part of the solution. I challenge myself to be a better husband, father, public servant, neighbor and friend. I challenge everyone to do the same. 

Here is a picture of some chicken, because this is a BBQ forum.

Las Vegas, NV

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. We all need to reflect. Stay safe and bless you. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Take care of yourself out there man.  I appreciate what you do and the thoughtfulness of your comments on this subject in general.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. Please continue to take care of yourself out there. Appreciate your thoughts and appreciate you speaking up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    I certainly don't envy the job you do every day. Thanks for all that you do. And, anyone who flags your post should be removed from this forum by the Buffalo.
    Stillwater, MN
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    First thought when I saw the news this morning went to you @Battleborn
    Be safe brother! Praying for you. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Thank you for what you do @Battleborn. Be safe brother.
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • the_crease
    the_crease Posts: 132
    Options
    This is a thought provoking post.  I accept your challenge.  Thank you 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Chicken looks good... and thank you 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    THANK YOU  for starting this thread.  THANK YOU your commitment to the safety and betterment of others each and every day.

As I mentioned on a different thread, the key to understanding the situation we are in is to understand that we haven't made significant progress since Martin Luther King was assassinated.  By many metrics we have gone backwards over the past 40 years.  His words explain why.  

“History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.”

The first step for most of us white guys is to recognize our white privilege - which is illustrated pretty well in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K5fbQ1-zps

@the_crease, well done accepting the challenge.  I also accept.

If you are not one of the bad people, you need to stop being silent, speak up, and take action.  It's not just "a" solution.  It's the only solution.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX