Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @caliking I’ve been thinking about this and honestly don’t know how to answer your question. 
    I can say I don’t think the coil folds had anything to do with the crust. My crust has improved along with the crumb over time. I’ve certainly had my share of loaves with a chewy crust. 
    As I have improved with knowing when my dough is properly proofed I think both crumb and crust alike has improved. 
    I think keeping the moisture level high in the first 20 minutes is important. So use a Dutch oven cloche, or something to trap steam early in the bake. This last loaf was cooked in the wood oven. I used the bottom of an aluminum roasting pan to cover the loaf. This alone won’t guarantee a thin crust. 
    I’ll try to pay more attention in the next few bakes and get back to you. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited May 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking I’ve been thinking about this and honestly don’t know how to answer your question. 
    I can say I don’t think the coil folds had anything to do with the crust. My crust has improved along with the crumb over time. I’ve certainly had my share of loaves with a chewy crust. 
    As I have improved with knowing when my dough is properly proofed I think both crumb and crust alike has improved. 
    I think keeping the moisture level high in the first 20 minutes is important. So use a Dutch oven cloche, or something to trap steam early in the bake. This last loaf was cooked in the wood oven. I used the bottom of an aluminum roasting pan to cover the loaf. This alone won’t guarantee a thin crust. 
    I’ll try to pay more attention in the next few bakes and get back to you. 
    I've seen your blistered crust loaves in the past,  where you sprayed the dough before baking. Can't recall if those crusts turned out as thin as this most recent one. 

I'd love to hear what you figure out. I like the crust on my leaves, but would be happier with a thinner, more crispy crust.

Maybe I'm talking myself into taking a crack at baguettes?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I’ll post more later, but this is my first try at sourdough pizza dough after about a 15 hour ferment (after proofing) in the fridge. 

Half bread flour, half whole wheat. 

NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Pain de Campagne:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Pain de Campagne:

Looks great John. What grains did you use?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Pain de Campagne:

Looks great John. What grains did you use?

I followed the recipe in the Forkish book for this one.  It’s a mix of AP and whole wheat.  The flavor is spot on.
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That’s a great looking loaf @JohnInCarolina
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • buzd504
    Options
    So update on the pizza dough (above).  The dough came out tasty, but the recipe said it made 4 portions.  Not true, so my pizza were too thin and wet to rise much.  Still tasty, but not a lot of air.  Finally, I baked the last doughball plain and got a nice result.

Thai pizza - (no cheese, since we were feeding a vegan)

Plain dough...

And turned the plain dough into this (made another round of lox).

NOLA
  • buzd504
    Options

Also, my dutch oven came in, so I turned out my first loaf last night.  I picked a recipe that used some shortcuts, but it turned out really well.

85% bread flour, 15% whole wheat, about 75% hydration, I think.

NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Also, my dutch oven came in, so I turned out my first loaf last night.  I picked a recipe that used some shortcuts, but it turned out really well.

85% bread flour, 15% whole wheat, about 75% hydration, I think.

Beautiful!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Very cool.  I like this kind of write-up.  
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    very good read.  After reading I realize that I am not nearly precise enough in feeding my starter....
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • buzd504
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    very good read.  After reading I realize that I am not nearly precise enough in feeding my starter....

Pfft. So far I have fed my starter whole wheat flour, bread flour, bleached all purpose flour, and pineapple juice.  It took a while to get started, but now it's doing fine.  I am not specific about amounts (except the flour/water ratio to maintain hydration).  I just keep an eye on it and feed it when it needs it, based on when I will be baking, so it's ramped up.  This seems much more like art than science to me.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Hoster05 said:

Pfft. So far I have fed my starter whole wheat flour, bread flour, bleached all purpose flour, and pineapple juice.  It took a while to get started, but now it's doing fine.  I am not specific about amounts (except the flour/water ratio to maintain hydration).  I just keep an eye on it and feed it when it needs it, based on when I will be baking, so it's ramped up.  This seems much more like art than science to me.
    I’m with you. 

When it’s time to feed my starter, I discard all but “about a tablespoon”, add 2/3 cup of APF, 1/3 cup of tap water, and adjust of the consistency isn’t what I want it to be. The 1:1:1 recommendation makes it somewhat thin, and harder to mix up in tub that my starter lives in. 

• buzd504
    Options
    Loaf 2

~80% hydration, 50% wheat flour, 50% bread flour.  The kids are eating this in a day - I'm going to start doing two loaves at a time.

NOLA
  • caliking
    Options
    That’s a nice loaf, @buzd504

Not surprised that the kids are snarfing it down. Homemade bread is so much better. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    “Pfft...” 
    Y’all are Neanderthals, lol...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • buzd504
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    “Pfft...” 

Sorry, that's a shortcut I use in a text thread with some friends.
    NOLA
  • SciAggie
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    SciAggie said:
    “Pfft...” 

Nah, I was just poking you and @caliking about your starter maintenance. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    buzd504 said:
    SciAggie said:
    “Pfft...” 

its all fun and games, until someone accidentally sticks their starter in the microwave (instead of the oatmeal). 

• SciAggie
    edited May 2020
    Options
    caliking said:s
    SciAggie said:
    buzd504 said:
    SciAggie said:
    “Pfft...” 

its all fun and games, until someone accidentally sticks their starter in the microwave (instead of the oatmeal). 
    Hey, I added my yogurt starter to my scalded milk while it was still 180 degrees...
    Oh, and did I mention I threw out the rest of the yogurt? Genius move...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    I like the way this one looks from the outside. I’ll show the crumb when I cut it. 

I’m using the same recipe for every bake. I’m just playing with folding, shaping, and proofing to see the changes. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I like the way this one looks from the outside. I’ll show the crumb when I cut it. 

I’m using the same recipe for every bake. I’m just playing with folding, shaping, and proofing to see the changes. 
    It is looking very nice from here, I’ve never achieved an ear like that.

edited May 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:

I've been using basically the same ratios and procedures every time, but varying the flour that I used (started all bread flour, then did whole wheat).  The foreground (lighter loaf) here is 50/50 bread/whole wheat.  The other is about 300g bread, and 200g rye.

I had read that rye flour would make a gummy dough, and they weren't lying.  It was super sticky the whole time.  I backed off the hydration to about 70%, but I should have gone less.  It was a pain to work with.

However, when it finally proofed, it exploded.  It was still sticky when I put it in the oven, and almost impossible to slash.  Still the flavor was really good, and it came out pretty nice.  In the frustration of working with the dough, I forgot the carroway seeds.  :mad:

NOLA
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Made a loaf today. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• buzd504
    Options
    Very  nice!!
    NOLA
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Options
    I have been having a bit of trouble lately with my boules being a bit flat. I think I have been  over proofing  them now that the warm weather is here.  

I have shortened the bulk lately to about 30-40% rise and then into the fridge overnight. That seems to have made a big difference!

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Focaccia...
    just pulled from the oven. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    Bump.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon