Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gauntlet... thrown!! Bring out ALL of your cookers!!

Options

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options

Blackstone Burgers

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    @cazzy those ribs look awesome man!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Smoking some ribs on the vault.   

Great looking ribs, @cazzy
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @cazzy , nice rack!

I’ll say this again,  it makes me happy that it took this thread to have you pop back in. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @caliking Those are some food eats for sure. I love all the fermented products. And - homemade bread of any kind is always a winner. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    @sciaggie, there is some truth to what @20stone said above. About weekly, I find myself in the garage muttering “ I know I used to have _____.”

The Lodge Sportsman is a fun little grill. Mine is a bit rusty, but does what it’s supposed to. It’s compact, easier to transport than an egg or Weber, and relatively bomb proof. 

This thread has made me realize that I do miss some of my old cookers. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Foghorn @cazzy I’m looking at the ribs y’all cooked and thinking about the last few spares I’ve cooked. 
    Why do you get pull back on some and not on others? It seems the ribs I’ve cooked on my offset running at about 225-250 seldom show pullback. When I cook on the egg it usually settles at around 275 and I seem to get pull back. 
    I really can’t tell any difference in taste or texture to speak of. 
    Just wondering if y’all (or anyone else) has any observations to share. 
    I’m just making conversation and trying to learn something. 
    @SciAggie, I don’t know the answer to your question. I can guess that it might be related to the fat vs protein content. Here’s an example of some beef ribs I did recently. They started as a square and ended up as a triangle.  The part that pulled shorter seemed to have more fat.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    @caliking, was this your first taste of the beef merguez and this iteration of malalawurst? If so, what say ye?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @caliking, was this your first taste of the beef merguez and this iteration of malalawurst? If so, what say ye?
    Yes first taste of both. Loved the beef merguez! Possibly better than the lamb version we made way back when.

As for the masalawurst, I thought it was great, as well. Caliqueen thinks the nutmeg and mace could be toned down. 

I hear the rumblings about it being too aggresively spice. Its a misunderstood sausage. Its full potential is not realized in the way sausage is usually eaten. I'll elaborate on that later.

As an aside, I have thoughts about a kababwurst line, i.e. different flavors/types of kabab in sausage form. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    Nice cook Gary. Way to keep the thread alive!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    Nice, @Canugghead

Taters cooked in meat drippings are da bomb. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    That looks delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    No one here has one of these?

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 524
    Options
    Botch said:
    No one here has one of these?

No, but after some of the hot sauce in Lacto Fermentation thread, its close...

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Sputnik sold by IKEA eons ago, turkey spiedini, pulled at 150, tasted great but no char due to height of grill from small fire.

canuckland
  • SciAggie
    Options
    That’s a neat little cooker. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    That’s a cute lil cooker, @Canugghead

The vent holes seem undersized. Can you hit high grilling temps?

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Identical vents at bottom, lid on for low temp cook. Lid off with more charcoal attains high grilling temp no problem. Wasn’t into charcoal cooking then, picked it up decades later at a yard sale 😀 Tight lid with clamps snuffs out fire easily after cooking just like eggs. Clamps also allow sphere to be carried by the lid handle.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    Identical vents at bottom, lid on for low temp cook. Lid off with more charcoal attains high grilling temp no problem. Wasn’t into charcoal cooking then, picked it up decades later at a yard sale 😀 Tight lid with clamps snuffs out fire easily after cooking just like eggs. Clamps also allow sphere to be carried by the lid handle.
    I'm an idiot. :)  Want a grill to get hot? Open the lid! I like the clamps - lids sometimes fly off grills when they're placed in open truck beds.

• caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:

That's a purty Australian salad, @Foghorn

Have fun with the SV. Which one did you get?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Some fun cooks on here. Great thread. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I got the Anova Precision cooker - gift from my son.

We cooked that sirloin for 1hr 45 min at 125 and then seared it.

Is there any advantage to going longer on the sous vide?  I've read that up to 4 hours is good, but I've also heard of some famous chefs going for 6 hours.  Does a sirloin soften up and have the texture of a ribeye or filet if you cook it longer?

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Foghorn I believe the benefit of prolonged SV is to break down collagen without over cooking or expelling moisture from the meat. Since the rendering of the collagen is slow at that temperature range, it takes many hours (6-72). If temps are bumped into the 132-137 range it is my understanding you also essentially end up with a pasteurized product. I don't believe pasteurization will occur at 125 degrees - at least not in any reasonable time window.
    *All the information above may be complete BS and is subject to doubt*
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited June 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Foghorn I believe the benefit of prolonged SV is to break down collagen without over cooking or expelling moisture from the meat. Since the rendering of the collagen is slow at that temperature range, it takes many hours (6-72). If temps are bumped into the 132-137 range it is my understanding you also essentially end up with a pasteurized product. I don't believe pasteurization will occur at 125 degrees - at least not in any reasonable time window.
    *All the information above may be complete BS and is subject to doubt*
    130 is the number for pasteurization but 131-132 to be safe on thicker cuts. Steaks don’t benefit much from a long cook and they can get mushy If left in too long. I think 4 hrs is about as long as I would go on a steak but you are safe at 6 or more over 130 degrees. The real benefit to longer cooks is for things like brisket/butts where it can really work on all the connective tissue in there 

on another note- I like my SV steaks at 135 or even a little higher. They are tender like a rare steak but it renders the fat and breaks down the proteins quite a bit better in this temp range. They are still bright pink wall to wall at this temp but they eat Way better than SV steaks cooked in the 120’s 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX