Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    paqman said:
    caliking said:
    Very nice!  I’ve had eyes on a pullman from usa pans for a couple of weeks now.  Which one did you get and does it have non-stick coating?  The USA Pans one has some type of silicone coating but I’d prefer plain anodized aluminum.
    This is the pan I picked up on Amazon:

The recipe called for a 13” pan, but I bought a 9” pan. Took 1/3rd of the dough and made a second loaf for friends. 

The pan is more expensive than what I would have liked to have paid, but it’s sturdy, so I’m not unhappy about it. 
    That’s the one I have been looking at, I got a couple of their pans (hot dog buns, cinnamon rolls).  They look good and heavy, I’m just not a fan of non-stick.
    Thanks for the intel. Caliqueen has been on a tear  cleaning/decluttering things that I didn’t know could or should be. Now I can fill those holes with things like hot dog pans =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312

Made up a loaf of country brown and cinnamon rolls Saturday morning.   

Yesterday with the extra dough I did a garlic and parmesan focaccia to go with mother in laws homemade lasagna.  Turned out good for my first attempt.     
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    caliking said:
    Those bagels look strong, @buzd504!

now you need some lox :)
    Lox came out great. Now I’m out of bagels. 

NOLA
  • caliking
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Nice!! Care to share your recipe/method? The texture of your lox looks great.

And,  it never ends... although, its not a problem to have lox around. Makes for great snacking in all kinds of ways. 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    caliking said:
    Inspired by @NPHuskerFL , @SciAggie , and @buzd504 , had another go at focaccia. No sourdough in this one, but figured I'd drop it here since others have been focaccia-ing around.

Same recipe from Samin Nosrat's Salt Fat Acid Heat and the Brad Leone It's Alive episode, but without diastatic malt powder this time. Also didn't bake it on a stone. 

Turned out quite tasty! :) Mixed some herbes de Provence into the dough. The red onions were my favorite of the toppings I used. 

Didn’t turn out as crusty as the last version, so maybe the stone helps. Turns out that caliprince loves focaccia, so I guess I’ll be making it again soon. Waiting on a rectangular pan to try the one SciAggie posted recently. 
    Fvck! Awesome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Mixed my first sourdough brioche today. It’s retarding in the fridge right now. We’ll see - the goal is buns for brats. This is a much more challenging dough than regular bread. 
    I followed a respected recipe, but of course my flour is a bit different, and eggs are not the same size - so hydration is off. It hurts not having a “feel” for how the dough should look and handle. 
    I’ll shape and bake in the morning. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    @GrateEggspectations , if I ran into someone sporting that, I'd prolly say something like " you don't Wild Yeast much, do you?"

• caliking
    SciAggie said:
    Mixed my first sourdough brioche today. It’s retarding in the fridge right now. We’ll see - the goal is buns for brats. This is a much more challenging dough than regular bread. 
    I followed a respected recipe, but of course my flour is a bit different, and eggs are not the same size - so hydration is off. It hurts not having a “feel” for how the dough should look and handle. 
    I’ll shape and bake in the morning. 
    Limited experience with brioche dough here, but agree that its weird stuff. You wouldn't think that dough can assimilate the amount of butter that recipes call for. 

• buzd504
    edited May 2020
    caliking said:
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Nice!! Care to share your recipe/method? The texture of your lox looks great.

And,  it never ends... although, its not a problem to have lox around. Makes for great snacking in all kinds of ways. 
    I followed this recipe pretty straight up. I subbed coriander for juniper and added a healthy dose of red pepper flakes.  It takes a LOT of dill. I went 4 days.  Also, I did a little under 2lbs of salmon so I tossed some of the mix instead of scaling the recipe. 

The market I bought the salmon at also had Salmon roe so we served it with some of that and some goat cheese. Really good. 

NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I've been talking to a friend of mine in Michigan that is a very seasoned sourdough baker. Our discussions have led us down several rabbit holes.  This one has sciency sort of stuff where by using  (ground up)old bread <sourdough and not molded yet> as a soaker you could prolong the actual longevity of a sourdough bread without use of preservatives. In a nutshell the newly baked bread will supposedly have a longer shelf life. He made a loaf using his method with a soaker from his previous loaf.  And I used my No nonsense with no sort of plan method 😂.
    I began with...
    350g cool water
    175g ripe stiff levain(not to be confused with starter)
    6 pieces from my previous loaf ground up using my Ninja Processor. I honestly didn't measure the weight of this. Probably should have but I didn't.
    I added the water, levain and old bread crumbs together using a fork until they were well combined.  Let that sit covered for about 45 min - 1hr.
    Added in my generic bleached APF, fresh ground Pearled Farro, Ground Roasted Buckwheat and unground Himalayan salt. At the time that's all I had on and so that's what I used. Right now flour is hard to come by so I use what I've got. 
    350g APF
    100g Roasted Buckwheat
    75g Farro
    13g Unground Himalayan Salt
    Mix all these ingredients until well combined and all the flour is hydrated and cover loosely with a shower cap, tea towel or cling wrap for a couple of hours at room temp <my ambient is almost always at 73F @45-55RH
    At this point I noticed that my dough was much dryer then what I so ended up adding probably another 40g-60g.
    Begin doing some fairly aggressive stretch and folds to build gluten and do these about every 30 or so minutes. After you see significant strength in the dough you can laminate and then go to coil folds. I normally would do this but because this dough is a bit granier then what I would normally do I skipped the lamination process and went straight to coil folds. I ended up running out of time waiting on the bulk fermentation to at least get larger if not double in size So I placed put dough in the reach-in cooler overnight. Once morning came I removed it and it had risen significantly. I went ahead and did two more gentle coil folds. Pre-shaped it into a boule which I have not done this particular shape in a while so I thought why not. I waited about 30 minutes before doing my final shaping and really concentrated on getting tension across the doughbdough placing it into the banneton. I proofed it in the reach-in cooler for an additional 24 or so hours. Baked the following morning and here are the results. I will try to follow up as far as the longevity of this bread. That is if it lasts that long :-).

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SciAggie
    That's really interesting. Why does the old ground up bread supposedly extend the shelf life of a loaf? I'm not understanding what it brings to the equation.
    Thanks for sharing this. Trying new things is fun. My first brioche wasn't what I had hoped for but it wasn't a disaster either. I'll be trying that again.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    SciAggie said:
    That's really interesting. Why does the old ground up bread supposedly extend the shelf life of a loaf? I'm not understanding what it brings to the equation.
    Thanks for sharing this. Trying new things is fun. My first brioche wasn't what I had hoped for but it wasn't a disaster either. I'll be trying that again.
    http://www.wildyeastblog.com/bread-crumb-sourdough/

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    buzd504 said:

I followed this recipe pretty straight up. I subbed coriander for juniper and added a healthy dose of red pepper flakes.  It takes a LOT of dill. I went 4 days.  Also, I did a little under 2lbs of salmon so I tossed some of the mix instead of scaling the recipe. 

The market I bought the salmon at also had Salmon roe so we served it with some of that and some goat cheese. Really good. 

Thanks for the link. I'll have to pick up some salmon and dill, but id like to give it a go. We've enjoyed the past few runs of lox I made. 

• SciAggie
    @NPHuskerFL Thanks for the link. I still don’t understand how it works. I don’t question it - I’m just saying I don’t understand it. I’ll probably give this a try just to see how well it works for me. I usually go through one medium sized loaf per week. Mine are best for toast, croutons, and such by the end of the week. If I got even 2 more days from a loaf that would be a success. 
    We should have a wild yeast zoom or something one evening. 
    You mentioned laminating your dough - I did that for the first time recently. I think we could have some fun talking about bread and such. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    Another sourdough pizza and some hot dog buns 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    edited May 2020
    Diastatic Malt Powder helps a bit with keeping my breads « fresh » a couple more days.  By fresh, I mean the texture, I don’t think it would help with mold, it simply helps with the texture/tenderness.  It is barley powder really so not a “chemical”.  I forgot to add some on my last bake and SWMBO noticed right away (she prefers when I use it).

@NPHuskerFL The bread crumbs in the bread is an interesting idea, my aunt says that my grandma was crumbling (small chunks as opposed to crumbs) of the old bread in the new batches but she thinks it was mostly for saving $$$.  Maybe it was also to extend freshness, I’d be interested to see the science behind that.

Edit:
    @GlennM hot dog buns and pizza looks fantastic!

@paqman I imagine when people first began doing soakers it was to utilize what they had in lieu of being wasteful during tough economic times. Not unlike now with flour supplies limited and people were it out of work. Certainly not The Great Depression or The Black Plague. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    @GlennM Those look great. Was you hot dog buns from your regular bread formula or was it an enriched dough? Was it sourdough or yeasted or a combination? I was disappointed in my first hot dog bun attempt. I’m looking for ideas. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @paqman Those were the fine work of @GlennM
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    SciAggie said:
    @paqman Those were the fine work of @GlennM
    I looked too fast🤷‍♂️, I guess I’m too used to see you posting good stuff.  Take it as a compliment.  I should be complimenting @NPHuskerFL  his breads are next level, one day i’ll be like him 😂

@GlennM Bravo!! 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾 Those look fantastic!

• NPHuskerFL
    Thanks @paqman 🌾👊🏽
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,365
    SciAggie said:
    @GlennM Those look great. Was you hot dog buns from your regular bread formula or was it an enriched dough? Was it sourdough or yeasted or a combination? I was disappointed in my first hot dog bun attempt. I’m looking for ideas. 
    These were yeast, I was in a hurry, the wife had some Italian sausages to grill up, need a whole day for sour dough
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • buzd504
    GlennM said:
    Another sourdough pizza and some hot dog buns 

Wow, so many great creations in this thread.

NOLA
  • buzd504
    caliking said:
    buzd504 said:

Thanks for the link. I'll have to pick up some salmon and dill, but id like to give it a go. We've enjoyed the past few runs of lox I made. 

One more thing - I used light brown cane sugar instead of white sugar.  I think it helped.  I'm going to experiment with different sugars as I think it adds to it.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:
    buzd504 said:

One more thing - I used light brown cane sugar instead of white sugar.  I think it helped.  I'm going to experiment with different sugars as I think it adds to it.
    Noted. I'm sure different sugars will add to the flavor. I think I did a batch with a bit of bourbon in the mix, and it was pretty good. 

• SciAggie
    caliking said:d
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:
    buzd504 said:

_________________ (fill in with any recipe) “ I did a batch with a bit of bourbon in the mix, and it was pretty good.” 

I think you have made a universally acceptable statement.

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Here’s the crumb from the loaf I baked last night. I’m beginning to feel like I have control over the crumb now. 
    I laminated this loaf and then used coil folds during the bulk phase. 

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    That's a fine looking loaf, @SciAggie!

Was it the different folding technique(s) that made the big difference?

I know your quest is the open crumb, but the thin crust is what caught my eye.  Pops doesn't eat much of the sourdough I make, because he says the crust is kinda thick. What makes for a thinner crust like that?