Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New green egg owner

Just got the green egg and went for a brisket for the cook. Pulled it off at 188 temperature and put it in the cooler for 2 hours. Sure wish I had gone to higher temp, but first time jitters. Can’t wait to try again. Thanks for having me, and the joys of food to come!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    I'm glad you found the forum! Welcome. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Next time try throwing it in an instapot if you need to finish it off the egg.  =)

Just kidding, welcome and nice way to break in your egg. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,252
    edited May 2020
    Welcome. When I read your username, I wasn’t sure you were on the right forum, but then I saw the brisket. 😉

Looks like the bark was starting to set up nicely. I assume you ran it naked (i.e., no foil)? As JIC says, bold first cook. Keep it up!

Also, I should mention, some here have had incendiary nightmares happen with grills on wooden decks. Some of us accept this risk but take precautions. Just flagging given you are new to the forum and may not have been aware. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Welcome. I'm 3.5 years in and not done a brisket yet!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun!
    Strong start right there.  Way to jump into the deep end of pool right out of the gate.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    "Let it go until the toothpick test lets you know it is ready."

@Lousubcap (in his advice to me many tears ago)

Welcome to the forum. There will be plenty of help here for your cooks, should you need it.

Brisket first time is a great start. Keep egging and posting. Thank you for joining us.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome to the asylum! Meteorite looks fine to me, but then I’ve never been a big brisket fan. Brisket chili is ideal if you have some leftovers....but that’s a whole different topic. Thanks for sharing!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • YukonRon said:

Did you have to go through the trauma of a lot of bad briskets?
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Welcome to the insanity.  Brisket is my favorite thing to cook and sometime my least favorite  There’s an old salt on here that’ll tell you “The Cow Drives the Cook”.   There’s a couple of others on here that’ll tell you to be extremely careful with egging on a wooden deck.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Welcome aboard the crazy train. If you’re feeling bold, jump on the Zoom chat tonight. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Welcome !!! Brisket is a bold first cook ! Congrats 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Welcome aboard - great combo you have with the BGE and Weber. As mentioned above, kudos on a very courageous first cook. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • YukonRon
    edited May 2020
    YukonRon said:

Did you have to go through the trauma of a lot of bad briskets?
    @GrateEggspectations

Probably depends on your perception of bad brisket.

If we are looking at plan B, Plan C, Plan D, after the cook, I think I am doing great. But, if we are talking from egg to table at dinner parties, I have done reasonably well, and I owe it to the folks on here that have mentored me in one way or another, and there have been many.

So with @Lousubcap helping helping me every step of the way, and studying his previous posts on the topic as well as the many others prior to trying; I think my success has been better than those who have just read a cooking post on the web.

I have had a few, but I believe them to be bovine related and not the process on the BGE.....Thank all that is glorious for vegetable beef soup, and pasta.

Another thing Frank shared is "The cow drives the cook" What may seem to be a great cut on the outside, does not mean it is excellent on the inside..

Think I am in the upper 80%, maybe lower 90% of successful cooks with brisket, should that equate to anything of note. Add in the chili, burnt ends, and nachos, .......upper 90% for sure (as we all are for sure)

Try this sometime when your brisket is what you feel as not up to par:

In a large pot, like a dutch oven, take a about 2 Tablespoons of butter, add about 4 heaping tablespoons of minced garlic, saute for a couple of minutes until aeromatic, add 2 cups of chicken broth, 1 cup of cream and mix thoroughly.

Bring to a boil, then add about 12 - 16 oz of large penne pasta, reduce heat to  a strong simmer, cook until al dente not soft...... Add in however much "fine to moderately" chopped brisket you wish, stir into the mixture, once the meat has warmed to the strong simmer, add 2 cups of freshly grated and mixed Parmesan, Romano and Asiago cheese.

Stir until well blended and the cheese has completely melted. Serve over over fresh spinach in the bottom of the dish or bowl. Those that like spinach will love this, those that do not, well, it just makes their plates easier to clean by sliding off the remnants to the trash can.

You are very welcome. It makes a very nice dish that people will die to have more of. Leftovers keep very well and freezes well for at least 6 months in a food saver.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Welcome to the forum.  Great looking brisket and setup.  Looking forward to more great cooks.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • YukonRon
    I forgot to add on my previous post, salt and pepper to taste, and if you have it sprinkle in a pinch or two of herbs de Provence.....

Lemons to lemonaide

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Flatfoot
    Flatfoot Posts: 96
    Welcome to the forum!  You are a brave man!  Looks like it turned out great!
    LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
    "Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"