Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Centex’s Salsa Vault (post yours here too if ya want)

Comments

• Does anyone have a kick-butt aus jus recipe?

Is aus jus salsa?
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Bookmarked! Looking forward to trying some of these. I'll see if I can contribute any salsa recipes. I have recently gotten into making hot sauces which are similar!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited April 2020
    caliking said:
    dmchicago said:
    Looks amazing.

I made a stupid simple salsa verde yesterday for some Chilaquiles I made for breakfast.

I think the best salsas are the simple ones. If it gets over 4-5 fresh ingredients or a few dried chilis I get skeptical real fast. I can make any salsa I want with some combo of: tomato, tomatillo, lime, dried chilis, jalapeno/serrano, garlic, onion, cilantro, and salt. 
    This begs the existential question...

What IS salsa??

Technically, isn't is just spanish for "sauce" ?

(although I understand that's not really what you were asking)
    NOLA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I've had a peach salsa that was quite good: minced peaches/juice, minced purple onion, minced jalapeño, cilantro and salt.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    buzd504 said:
    Technically, isn't is just spanish for "sauce" ?

Correct.  Per Huntley Dent, author of Feast of Santa Fe:

Salsa Fresca:  fresh/uncooked sauce
    Salsa Cruda:  cooked sauce
    Salsa PIcante:  sauce with onions & chilies

Possibly my all-time favorite cookbook, and I'm glad you prompted me to pull it down from the shelf.   :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• buzd504
    Botch said:
    I've had a peach salsa that was quite good: minced peaches/juice, minced purple onion, minced jalapeño, cilantro and salt.  

I love fruit salsas, particularly peach, pineapple and mango.

It's led me to just putting hot sauce (Valentina's) on bowls of cut fruit, which makes my wife crazy.
    NOLA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    buzd504 said:
    Botch said:

It's led me to just putting hot sauce (Valentina's) on bowls of cut fruit, which makes my wife crazy.
    Have you tried chamoy on fruit?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • buzd504
    caliking said:
    buzd504 said:
    Botch said:

Have you tried chamoy on fruit?

I had to look that up.  I have not.  Sounds right up my alley though.
    NOLA
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    from a local chain

Carlos O Kellys Salsa (clone) but pretty dang close 

INGREDIENTS

4 jalapeno chile peppers 

5 cloves garlic, finely chopped 

1 onion, finely chopped 

1 tablespoon white sugar 

1 teaspoon salt 

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 

1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers 

1 (28 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes 

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). 

Place jalapeno chile peppers on a medium baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes, or until roasted. Remove from heat and chop off stems. 

Place jalapeno chile peppers, garlic, onion, white sugar, salt, ground cumin and diced tomatoes with green chile peppers in a blender or food processor. Chop using the pulse setting for a few seconds. Mix in whole peeled tomatoes. Chop using the pulse setting to attain desired consistency. Transfer to a medium bowl. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until serving.

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Does anyone have a kick-butt aus jus recipe?

@r@RRP RRP's is the best, IMO:

From here:  https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1210718/so-what-have-i-forgotten-1st-time-prime-rib/p1

LOL Here's my latest!

RRP's Au Jus Recipe  - Updated version 9-19-17 

1  14 oz Swanson Beef Broth (box – not the can)

1  10-1/2 ounce can of Campbell's French Onion soup

½  of the soup can cold water

1   T Worcestershire sauce

1   teaspoon of garlic salt

1   teaspoon onion powder

1   Wyler’s brand beef bouillon cubes

1   T Better Than Beef Bouillon

1   teaspoon Chings Superior Dark soy sauce

1   teaspoon oyster sauce

Bring ingredients to a boil in saucepan, letting it boil for 1 minute then
    simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Strain and discard onions. strain and discard onions.  Serve au jus dipping sauce hot. Can be made 2

days ahead.  Makes 3 cups. BTW I also make a batch of this and then pour it into large ice cube trays. Two melted cubes make wonderful Bloody Bull! 

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, nice work starting this thread.  Salsa is definitely a "why would I ever buy this again" item, and it's great having this as a ready resource.

I need tacos
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    20stone said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, nice work starting this thread.  Salsa is definitely a "why would I ever buy this again" item, and it's great having this as a ready resource.

I need tacos
    @20stone, are you headed to Bill Miller?  I've heard that homemade salsa goes great on their tacos.  I won't reveal the source.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:

I need tacos
    @20stone, are you headed to Bill Miller?  I've heard that homemade salsa goes great on their tacos.  I won't reveal the source.
    Life saving hero ER doc or not, the minute this quarantine lifts you better have your head on a swivel, MF, 'cause, just because that was a jest-troll doesn't mean I'm not blinded by rage and plotting revenge.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    20stone said:
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:

I need tacos
    Life saving hero ER doc or not, the minute this quarantine lifts you better have your head on a swivel, MF, 'cause, just because that was a jest-troll doesn't mean I'm not blinded by rage and plotting revenge.
    Noted.

It will be good to see you when circumstances allow.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone said:

I need tacos
    Just had one with the tex Mex salsa above. So good! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Pro-tip:
    Don't let folks dip chips into the large salsa container that will be used in the future, it makes the remaining salsa too salty. Instead put the salsa you intend to use for chips in a serving bowl or whatever.

We have 2 types of salsa - the primary salsa we have is as a condiment, and wouldn't be good with chips.  If we are making chip salsa, we tend to add more stuff like and larger chunks of onion, cilantro, etc. 

Here is my family red salsa's - it all starts with a basic salsa, and then modify.  It's like the 6th mother sauce.

Salsa #3 I use like a BBQ sauce for brisket.

Basic Salsa: (makes like 1-1.5 cups, double/triple recipe as needed)
    1 medium tomato, just ripe... not overripe
    3-4 Serrano peppers for mild/hot
    5-6  Serrano peppers for hot/OMG

Directions:
    Roughly chop the tomato into 4-5 chunks, add a little salt on the tomato
    Roughly chop the serrano
    Place all in the handi blender, blend until just fine, not too long.
    Salt to taste.  Note: salt takes a few minutes to take hold, so don't over salt it. But, without enough salt there is no flavor.  Such is life.

Done!   This will keep in the fridge for at least a week. The spice will calm down each day.  It's better to start hot for that reason, you still want flavor on the 10th day.  Note, hotter also keeps longer.

We make small batches, often, since it's so easy, that's why the recipe is so small.

Modifications:
    1. Roasted salsa is the same recipe, except that you blacken the tomato and serrano on a griddle before blending.  The more roasted the tomato the better.  Peel off the skins before blending.  Careful adding salt to warm salsa, you can't taste it.. but you need to add salt on tomatoes as soon as possible.

2. For chip salsa, take roasted salsa, and add half a bunch of cilantro tops to it when blending, and add finely diced onion slice after blending.  No need to de-stem the cilantro, just take roughly the top 1/3 of the cilantro bunch.

3. Smokey salsa - Take the roasted salsa recipe (maybe 2x) and add some dried and roasted peppers.  These are dried ancho or anehiem peppers (long red dried ones).  Split, them, seed them, and quickly roast the skins on a hot griddle.  Add them to the blender... very red, very good salsa.  I like to do 5 dry peppers and add it to the (2x) roasted salsa recipe.  Very good flavor!

4. Smokey chip salsa - do the chip salsa modifications to #3
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    If Ketchup is an ingredient, can it be salsa?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

I wonder which one of you provided the pictures for this post...

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    We’ve been making salsa for 25 years or so and always have a few good ones lying around. ..

This whole thing took 10 min start to finish. Way better than anything you can buy in a jar. 
    Great thread and thanks for the pics and details.

How long does it keep?  I know... quick to make, but often just the process of shopping for simple ingredients and cleaning the food processor is enough of a deterrent.  :)  

I'm guessing you can can it, or freeze it pretty easily.  What about in the fridge, though?  Does the lime keep it fresh for a couple weeks?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    hotdog salsa, this ones a sweet habanero
    Grind 1-2 peck green tomatoes, 10 red pimiento peppers, 6 green bell peppers, 5 tiny hot peppers, 10 onions. Drain. Pour boiling water (I didn’t use boiling water) over above and let stand 15 minutes. Drain again. Put vegetables in large kettle, add 1 pint vinegar (5 cups) (barely cover), 3 1-2 cups granulated sugar, 1-4 cup salt, 1-4 cup mustard seed, 3 tablespoons celery seed, *1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon allspice, 1 tablespoon ground cloves* (*omitted*). Bring to a full rolling boil. Pour into sterile jars and seal at once

Is that first quantity a half peck and are those jars pictured pints or quarts?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2020
    KiterTodd said:
    We’ve been making salsa for 25 years or so and always have a few good ones lying around. ..

This whole thing took 10 min start to finish. Way better than anything you can buy in a jar. 
    Great thread and thanks for the pics and details.

How long does it keep?  I know... quick to make, but often just the process of shopping for simple ingredients and cleaning the food processor is enough of a deterrent.  :)  

I'm guessing you can can it, or freeze it pretty easily.  What about in the fridge, though?  Does the lime keep it fresh for a couple weeks?
    The red stuff keeps a week, the tomatillo much longer (2-3 weeks). 

You can scale the recipe down if you don’t think you will use it all. We eat salsa breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack in this house (not every day but at least one or 2 of those every day) so it never makes it a week. Plus I currently have 2 young adults hanging with us during the quarantine and they crush it. The red stuff is already gone. 2 quarts in 2 days lol. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    hotdog salsa, this ones a sweet habanero
    Grind 1-2 peck green tomatoes, 10 red pimiento peppers, 6 green bell peppers, 5 tiny hot peppers, 10 onions. Drain. Pour boiling water (I didn’t use boiling water) over above and let stand 15 minutes. Drain again. Put vegetables in large kettle, add 1 pint vinegar (5 cups) (barely cover), 3 1-2 cups granulated sugar, 1-4 cup salt, 1-4 cup mustard seed, 3 tablespoons celery seed, *1 tablespoon cinnamon, 1 tablespoon allspice, 1 tablespoon ground cloves* (*omitted*). Bring to a full rolling boil. Pour into sterile jars and seal at once

Is that first quantity a half peck and are those jars pictured pints or quarts?

i just kept adding til the pot looked full, those are mostly san marzanos from my raided beds.  bought bigger 5/8  grinding plates for the kitchen aid and ran it all thru the grinder.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    This is a unique salsa that my family asks for when a bunch of us get together. It is truly best if you make it using a live fire - (BGE, WFO, Santa Maria grill, etc).
    The dried chilies make this have an earthiness that we enjoy.

Fire Roasted Salsa Negra

Ingredients

• 4-5 dried red Hatch or other large red chile peppers
    • 2 pounds firm red tomatoes
    • 2 jalapeno peppers
    • 2 fresh pasilla chile peppers about 10 ounces (substitute poblano if you can't find them)
    • 1 medium red onion peeled and rough chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic smashed and peeled
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
    • 2 tsp chili powder
    • 2 tsp ground cumin
    • juice of 1 lime
    • 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    • 1-2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Instructions

• Cover the dried chiles with boiling water and let soak for 30 minutes. Make sure they are covered by the water.
    • While the chiles soak, turn your broiler on high, and set the rack at the highest setting. Line a baking sheet with foil and arrange the tomatoes on it. Broil for about 15 minutes, turning occasionally, until the tomatoes are blackened all over. Set aside.
    • Do the same with the pasilla and jalapeno peppers, leave them whole, don't chop. When they are blackened all over, remove and set aside.
    • Repeat the procedure with the soaked peppers.
    • Put the onion and the garlic in the food processor and pulse until finely minced. Turn into a large bowl. Add the salt, pepper, spices, lime juice and Worcestershire sauce.
    • Chop the blackened tomatoes in quarters, and puree, in the food processor, working in batches if necessary. Add the puree to the bowl with the onions and spices.
    • Remove and discard the stems from all the peppers and chop them in half. Puree them in the processor, and then add to the bowl. Note: I did not remove the seeds from the peppers.
    • Add the olive oil to the bowl and blend everything together. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, or until ready to serve. Be sure to taste the salsa prior to serving to adjust any of the seasonings. Note, this is a relatively thick salsa.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking

• caliking
    @SciAggie that sounds outstanding! Its on my list, after the next grocery run. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    caliking said:
    @SciAggie that sounds outstanding! Its on my list, after the next grocery run. 
    I will bet that it is DIFFERENT than salsa you have made before. I hope you like it. 
    Pro tip: When it says blacken - it means burn the hades out of the food. Not what we normally want to do. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Very spicy tomatillo Chile De Arbol salsa:

This is like the hot red salsa you get at chipotle. This will light you up! You can halve the peppers or up the tomatillos if you don’t like really spicy stuff. 

ingredients:

1lb  of husked tomatillos
    1 oz dried arbol chili pods
    2 cloves garlic 
    tsp ground cumin 
    Large pinch of Salt

stem the arbol chilis and dump out as many seeds as you can. Toast them Very quickly in a medium hot skillet until they become “fragrant” (it’s more like tear gas lol). Don’t let them get too dark as they get bitter when they over toast. Bring a sauce pan of water to a boil and place the arbol chilis in. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 20-30’min until they are soft. 

While doing this, husk and rinse the tomatillos and place under a broiler on a foil lined pan until very black and blistered. Turn tomatillos and blistered the other side you can also cut the tomatillos in half and roast both sides at the same time. Just don’t lose and of the awesome juices that come out. Put the garlic cloves in there (still in paper) and pull them when they get soft (about 5 min). 

Peel the paper off the garlic, place the garlic, tomatillos (with all the drippings), peppers, cumin, salt, and a tablespoon of the pepper water in a blender and give it a spin on low until very well blended (no chunks in this one). 

Squeeze of lime is always good but this one is pretty zippy from the tomatillos already. Taste for salt, add if needed and refrigerate for a few hours before eating if you can. 

Chile de Arbol:

The salsa (this is a stick photo as somehow I don’t have a good pic of mine. It looks
    exactly like this though:

Here it is in a taco

Made a fresh batch tonight. So good. And, I refuse to be garlic shamed by people who shall remain unnamed (rhymes with shallot queen) so I doubled the garlic. Turns out he was right. 

• caliking said:
     Posting Cen-Tex's salsa recipe from his Breakfast Taco Project thread, because I'm a lazy sumbitch, and want one salsa thread for reference later.

"Roasted Tomatillo Habanero Salsa:
    2lbs tomatillos
    2 cloves garlic
    Juice of 1-1.5 lime (to your liking)
    Tsp cumin 
    1.5 habanero peppers 
    Big pinch 50/50 salt and pepper

In this batch I used jalapeno Because I had them. If you use jalapeno roast 3-5 of them (depending on how hot you like it) with everything else. 

Directions:
    Husk Tomatillos and remove stems from tomatillos and peppers. 

Place tomatillos, garlic and peppers on a foil lined sheet pan under broiler on high. After 5 min or so (when getting very blistered and dark, turn peppers and tomatillos to blister the other side. If garlic has started to soften, remove at this time. 

Once peppers and tomatillos have blistered and softened, put all ingredients in blender (make sure you get any liquid that has run out onto the foil

blend on low 30-60 seconds until there are no chunks. 

This recipe Makes exactly 2 pint jars full. Scale up or down to your liking. "
    Made again tonight and doubled the garlic. It was a good idea. As you can see, it was just the perfect amount for the jar  😂 (had to skim a little with a few chips to get it to fit). 

made a batch of the Chile de arbol version as well. Both are in the fridge for an overnight nap before “BTS” (breakfast taco Saturday). Going to be a good weekend 

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    caliking said:
    That's the one I make.  Got it off this forum of course .   The Peppers change according to the time of year, but if I haven't made a batch for a while I start getting tomatoes left on the porch with a note for salsa....lol

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• caliking
    ...and doubled the garlic. It was a good idea. As you can see, it was just the perfect amount for the jar  😂 (had to skim a litt

made a batch of the Chile de arbol version as well. Both are in the fridge for an overnight nap before “BTS” (breakfast taco Saturday). Going to be a good weekend 

It gives me much joy that you're on the DTG (double the garlic) side now.

There will be salsa today. No tomatillos at HEB yesterday, so kinda bummed that I can't try the Chile de arbol one. 

@SciAggie for your salsa negra, do you rub the peppers with oil before roasting? And do you peel the blackened skins before blending?