Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal shortage looming?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2020
    lousubcap said:
    @Carolina Q - If I had that kind of access to WG, (was it Weekend Warrior?) there would be no concerns about another product, assuming their quality control issues of several years back have been solved.  
    @lousubcap, yes, Weekend Warrior. I think that's all they sell now. Quality on that last batch was fine by me. I usually buy RO just because it's closer and more convenient. Still, WG is about the same price and is better lump.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Shiff said:
    I just checked one of our local Ace hardware stores and they have Rockwood in the store for $25.99/bag.  I also checked a few of the other local Ace stores and at least 5 of them within 20 miles have it in stock.  There are a few others at around that distance that don't have it in stock, but their web site says if you order it, it will be in by Wednesday.
    Thanks for the reminder! I always forget that option to order and have it shipped to my local Ace.  Just picked up some Rockwood! Fair price. No shipping. Great lump!

LBGE/Maryland
  • lentsboy007
    lentsboy007 Posts: 416
    My local Home Depot had over 30 bags of RO 3 weeks ago.  Just checked online and they have 13 left. No idea If they haven’t or can’t order more, or if that 13 is from the original batch of 30,  so I payed for 3 more bags to pick up today . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    Since my local source is closed I grabbed a bag of RO at HD the other day.  Hate having to use it but it's for extreme backup
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I'll bite.  Any good ACE discount codes out there?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    My local ACE  used to carry Wicked as their premium lump and Cowboy for the low end. Then they switched to Rockwood and Cowboy.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Had to get some water softener salt and pool chemicals at Home Depot yesterday and saw that they had tons of Royal Oak. Picked up four bags at $12 each since I was there and do a lot of grilling on my egg that it’ll be used for. Grabbed a couple of boxes of RO Tumbleweeds too. 

Need to order some Rockwood to my local ACE store next. I don’t think the demand spikes as much in So Cal, I hardly know any other egg owners personally here so the shelves may stay stocked with lump longer than other locales. I know a ton of Traeger owners though.  :|

• carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    TN_Egger said:
    I'll bite.  Any good ACE discount codes out there?
    I got $15 off, I think. Can't remember what the minimum spend was, but I was buying 5 to make sure I stay stocked. Just found it via google.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    Late to the thread but no shortage around central FL. Just picked up two bags of Rockwood at Ace and plenty of Royal Oak for the cheap burns in stock as well. If Kingsford is your thing then Lowes had plenty, at $20.00 per two pack though...

FYI, If you buy from Lowes don't plan on their curbside pickup. Tried it twice for different things and had to go inside for both orders. Not only inside but two separate doors at different ends of the store. Various excuses but overall just a terrible experience.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Rockwood is stocked at a few local Aces.  One sells it for 25.99 the other for 29.99.  Each one is about 3 miles from my house.  With my bi-weekly $5/$7 coupons from Ace it is a pretty good deal in my mind.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • mpenacho
    mpenacho Posts: 25
    Yesterday I ordered five bags of Rockwood through Ace's ship to store option.  Today I got an email saying it would be delayed, and that I was only going to get three.
    LBGE, XLBGE
  • chard
    chard Posts: 67
    Last week I ordered 5 bags of Rockwood online for pickup at my local ACE and it was ready for pickup the same day, so I presume it was in stock already.  I googled ACE coupon codes and found one that said if you spent over 125 bucks, you received 15% off.  Final tally was about 24 and a half bucks a bag out the door with tax.
    Eggin' with a Large and Small
    Twin Cities, MN
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    I hope this is not true, I'm down to my last bag!!!

Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    I have a few bags left but tried to get some RO during our walmart pick up a couple days ago and they told me they were sold out when I went to pick the order up. It looks like our local HD has plenty in stock though.
    LBGE
    AL
  • carrda04
    chard said:
    Last week I ordered 5 bags of Rockwood online for pickup at my local ACE and it was ready for pickup the same day, so I presume it was in stock already.  I googled ACE coupon codes and found one that said if you spent over 125 bucks, you received 15% off.  Final tally was about 24 and a half bucks a bag out the door with tax.
    Same exact deal but mine say May 1 pickup. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    carrda04 said:
    chard said:
    There's only one distribution center running low, but they should be restocked by the weekend.  They have plenty at the one that stocks MN.  They're probably just limiting the orders to 3 bags at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Someone on here used to offer free delivery of Ozark Oak anywhere in the US
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Charcoal "shortage"?  No, just increased demand.

And those of us who never slow down, warehousing all winter long are PREPARED when a when demand spikes, or production/shipping is interrupted due to flooding or other games from Mother Nature.

Also, those of us that are produce or source in the USA are also not as susceptible when borders close, import taxes are levied, hurricane/tsunamis, of other issues arise outside of the continental US. 

We shipped 1000 pallets in less than 3 weeks when this thing lit off--we began stockpiling that reserve back in September, adding to it when we could.  Charcoal has a shelf life of 1,000,000 years, so better to have our money invested in that than sitting in the checkbook.

We're running low in the reserves and even my secret stash, but none of our retails have been turned away, and none ran out for more than a few days while pallets were in transit.  Just like toilet paper, as long as everybody doesn't hoard, then there's plenty to go around even with the increased demand from everyone being home.

Easy to say for a guy who owns a flux capacitor
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    thetrim said:
    That was @henapple.  It wasn't free.  You paid in PBR which was his preferred currency.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    thetrim said:
    Didn't they go out of business?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• thetrim said:
    And he would bring it himself. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Thanks stitchcharcoal   I will and appreciate the info
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @stlcharcoal notes an increase in demand and that goes for this side of the 49th as well. local retailer of Maple Leaf told me they had been shorted on the last two shipments, BC being about as far as we can get from the kilns in Quebec. He thought that there might be some shipments heading to the US. Price is still good for an 8Kg bag it is just under $15US/$19CDN. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Skiddymarker - great to see you here.  Hope all are doing well.
    If you can get me a US delivery to fly-over country, I will end you some fine brown water in exchange.
    Stay healthy, stay safe.  Be positive!  
    Go A's-if we ever see the season!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    lousubcap said:
    @Skiddymarker - great to see you here.  Hope all are doing well.
    If you can get me a US delivery to fly-over country, I will end you some fine brown water in exchange.
    Stay healthy, stay safe.  Be positive!  
    Go A's-if we ever see the season!
    You are from the brown water capital, or at least next to it......might be worth chartering a C-130 for an air lift!
    Discovered Longbranch from the Wild Turkey folks(since watching Justified some years ago, always partial to Wild Turkey), at the moment it is the medicine of choice to help negate the COVID chaos. 
    The only good thing about this mess, the A’s are still 0 games behind the leader.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mpenacho
    mpenacho Posts: 25
    mpenacho said:
    Yesterday I ordered five bags of Rockwood through Ace's ship to store option.  Today I got an email saying it would be delayed, and that I was only going to get three.

The stars are aligned (or the stars are maligned???)!!

Today I received my full order of five bags, two days earlier than originally promised.
    LBGE, XLBGE
  • carrda04
    carrda04 said:
    chard said:
    There's only one distribution center running low, but they should be restocked by the weekend.  They have plenty at the one that stocks MN.  They're probably just limiting the orders to 3 bags at a time.
    Yep! Got all five without an issue. That 100 plus one bag of RO should keep my going a while. 
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN