Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal shortage looming?

Options
I just left local Ace store that I help with BGE sales when possible. The owner told me today Big Green Egg has no charcoal to ship to dealers, mentioned indefinitely. Wondering if Royal Oak will soon follow. He was able to score some Rockwood for his customers though. Said he had a pallet coming.

Not sure if this is entirely true, but I don't see a reason he would mislead me. Suggest picking up several bags to have a stash. I know my family has been cooking some stress away as many of you have. Keep safe and Egg On!

bubbajack
I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    Probably just BGE ensuring their release of sugar maple lump really takes off. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    @bubbajack.  He told me the same thing a few days ago except he is unable to get RO also.  I've been on him to carry Rockwood since he opened the store and he always told me he couldn't and sell BGE's.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Paging @stlcharcoal.  Might as well get it from one in the business.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
    My local grocery store had a pile of Cowboy lump today. Ace which is just as good carries Rockwood, I don’t know what their inventory is.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    No chicken, pork or beef in the supply chain...who needs lump?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • carrda04
    carrda04 Posts: 83
    Options
    Twin Cities ACE locations that carry Rockwood claim to have it in stock for pick up approximately 5/1. Hopefully that's the case, and if so, I have 5 bags claimed already to see us through whatever comes next.
    LG BGE
    Camp Chef 2xburner

Twin Cities, MN
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    @bubbajack.  He told me the same thing a few days ago except he is unable to get RO also.  I've been on him to carry Rockwood since he opened the store and he always told me he couldn't and sell BGE's.
    @bucky925 Blaackhawk in Charlotte sells both.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    My local Home Depot has 71 of the 15.44# bags of Royal Oak in stock right now. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    So, have we determined that there is or isn’t a shortage?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I haven't found anything about it but usually @stlcharcoal is on this sort of topic pretty fast.  No sighting yet??!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My local Ace (2 miles away) has both Rockwood and RO in stock. Curbside delivery too. Home Depot has plenty of RO.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options
    Foghorn said:

It’s fluid. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    Just checking out Rockwood's site, it seems you can still order bags from them with free shipping:

https://store.rockwoodcharcoal.com/

Jonathan will surely be on soon to tell us if he foresees a real shortage, but perhaps in any case it can't hurt to stock up.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    yeah, but it's like 40 bucks a bag for "free" shipping!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    yeah, but it's like 40 bucks a bag for "free" shipping!
    I'm pretty sure Jonathan explained in another thread that the shipping costs are folded into the price, and that this has to do with how it is sold on Amazon.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    yep, he did. Amazon strikes again... but it's still 40 bucks for a bag of lump.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I just checked one of our local Ace hardware stores and they have Rockwood in the store for $25.99/bag.  I also checked a few of the other local Ace stores and at least 5 of them within 20 miles have it in stock.  There are a few others at around that distance that don't have it in stock, but their web site says if you order it, it will be in by Wednesday.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    Options
    Menards near me has been out of Royal Oak Hardwood for a few weeks now, they have been well stocked with briquettes. I am guessing the manufacturing scraps that manufactures uses have been running thin. 
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    True for one bag.  The shipped to your door three pack is $35/bag thru Rockwood and even more expensive thru amazon.  Here's the related thread about the shipping costs:
    Rockwood Thank You  FWIW-
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    True for one bag.  The shipped to your door three pack is $35/bag thru Rockwood and even more expensive thru amazon.  Here's the related thread about the shipping costs:
    Remember that one bag of lump with last Carolina Q 12 years...
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Remember that one bag of lump with last Carolina Q 12 years...
    Lately that's true.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Actually, right after this craziness started, I couldn’t find RO in stock online, but found it later. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Not in my house...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Just reloaded. 

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    Not in my house...
    hoarder
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    Not in my house...
    hoarder
    Guilty as charged. I’ve said before that I’ve been a hoarder since before it was fashionable =)

I cant remember the last time I bought lump by the bag. Or two. Or five. 

Some moons ago, a fellow egghead called- 
    him- “ you want in on 200lbs of lump?”
    me- “Sure! When and where am I meeting you??”

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    A while back, I went in with two other guys on 30x20lb bags of Wicked Good. We each got 10 bags. Lasted a while! Actually, I think I still have a bit left.

WGs distribution center is about 30 miles away and a 20 lb bag of lump is about $14!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lousubcap
    Options
    @Carolina Q - If I had that kind of access to WG, (was it Weekend Warrior?) there would be no concerns about another product, assuming their quality control issues of several years back have been solved.