Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Groceries you want but can't get

Options

Comments

• JustBuggin
    JustBuggin Posts: 109
    Options
    Plenty of hand soap to buy around here but no wipes or sprays. Makes me wonder if people are washing everything but their hands...

You guys looking for TP might check some of the local restaurants and meat markets. A couple local restaurant chains and my local butcher are both selling TP, veggies and meats curbside.

I started stocking up on most everything early in the year so I've got about 3 more weeks until I start running short on general supplies. Hopefully by then some of these manufacturers will get caught up.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Canned tomatoes, vinegar, Skyline chili and whole chickens.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    For those having TP challenges, I was just on Costco.com and they claim to have it in stock.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Found SAF Instant yeast. Never heard of the store, but price isn't terrible.

https://www.wafflepantry.com/lesaffre-saf-instant-yeast-red-label.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    1voyager said:
    The skyline chili not being available belongs in the “ good things that have come outta the Covid crisis” thread. 😂
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Wanting to make gyros but Naan is out and I can’t find yeast, eggs, chorizo, tortillas, and a special milk that our kid needs. @nolaegghead I would have mailed our box of N95s to you but I just gave it to the wife to use at their medical office. Apparently they only had one box of 10ct for the whole office as of Thursday this week. 
    LBGE
    AL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Haven’t found TP in a MONTH. Can’t get bread flour - how many folks have suddenly learned to make bread?????? 
    Bread makers are up 700% on Amazon. Only 2nd to nitrile gloves. This is an interesting chart. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Clorox Wipes of any kind and of course face masks, no luck.
    I can send you some face masks if you need them. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    Oddly our local farm/ranch stores are reporting a run on baby chicks, brooding stations, and chickenfeed; apparently everyone's planning on raising their own chickens/eggs (and the guys who do it for a living are getting scared).  

Went to the commissary earlier this week (first time in a month) and they had hand sanitizer/wipes, but no TP.  

Also odd, on the news last night the dairy farmers are pouring milk down the drain, no sales (do the schools give our kids more milk than parents do at home?  I don't get that).  The veg farmers are also leaving produce to rot in the fields, partially because they don't have the immigrant workers to harvest (this could get much worse before it gets better).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Haven’t found TP in a MONTH. Can’t get bread flour - how many folks have suddenly learned to make bread?????? 
    Bread makers are up 700% on Amazon. Only 2nd to nitrile gloves. This is an interesting chart. 

This is interesting. Just before this all broke, I bought a box of nitrile gloves ostensibly to allow me to handle and slice brisket and other meats. I also bought some cotton glove liners. Quickly, I realized I could repurpose the gloves for household safety for example when handling packages we have had delivered. I bought another box. Yesterday when I went to reorder a third box on amazon, they were all marked as held for covid 19 frontline workers. Fine. That makes sense. I was able to snag one box that looked to be severely marked up. One reviewer called it price gouging. I'm so price insensitive on these types of items I didn't notice until I had already paid.
    Mountain View, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited April 2020
    Options
    FYI- Sam’s sells a Members Mark brand food safe commercial sanitizer Concentrate that we have used for 10 years. It’s bleach free and we use it on everything. You can put some on paper towels and put in a ziploc and you have bleach free sanitizing wipes. One gallon of the concentrate makes like 128 gallons of spray. It’s like $5.00 a  gallon. 

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    The skyline chili not being available belongs in the “ good things that have come outta the Covid crisis” thread. 😂
    Ouch!  =)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • NCSmoky
    NCSmoky Posts: 515
    Options
    1voyager said:
    I flagged you because only a Troll would sh!t talk Skyline chili. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    SciAggie said:

That’s fascinating 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,983
    Options
    NCSmoky said:
    1voyager said:
    I flagged you because only a Troll would sh!t talk Skyline chili. 
    That stuff is so nasty. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    For those that are new to wearing gloves.
    Las Vegas, NV

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    Botch said:
    Oddly our local farm/ranch stores are reporting a run on baby chicks, brooding stations, and chickenfeed; apparently everyone's planning on raising their own chickens/eggs (and the guys who do it for a living are getting scared).  

Went to the commissary earlier this week (first time in a month) and they had hand sanitizer/wipes, but no TP.  

Also odd, on the news last night the dairy farmers are pouring milk down the drain, no sales (do the schools give our kids more milk than parents do at home?  I don't get that).  The veg farmers are also leaving produce to rot in the fields, partially because they don't have the immigrant workers to harvest (this could get much worse before it gets better).  

Bunch of stores were limiting purchase volumes on dairy products even though there was no shortage because they were limiting everything else.  Led to surplus and processors quit taking milk or rationed what they would buy from farmers.  
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I was at Brookshire's in Malakoff TX yesterday, they are back in stock at the butcher, but eggs and toilet paper are still out.  I'd really like to sit and eat a meal at Chuys, Santa Catarina, Los Pinos or Polvos... Will be awesome once we get on the other side!

Heard this joke - 

” Where’s your husband?”

”He’s in the garden..

“Oh - didn’t see him when I came in”

You gotta dig a little..
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    Not bad here in CA at least where I am, even TP you can get bit our madness hit early March , was only bad again on the first....thank God most people think Costco is the only store and want to line up while all the other stores have mist everything 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    I was at Brookshire's in Malakoff TX yesterday, they are back in stock at the butcher, but eggs and toilet paper are still out.  I'd really like to sit and eat a meal at Chuys, Santa Catarina, Los Pinos or Polvos... Will be awesome once we get on the other side!

Heard this joke - 

” Where’s your husband?”

”He’s in the garden..

“Oh - didn’t see him when I came in”

You gotta dig a little..
    I read somewhere that if you’ve eaten at Polvos at least twice, you’re pretty much immune to COVID, or really just about anything.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @botch , @Eoin it’s apparently a distribution issue. Since commercial demand for things like flour and dairy products is drastically reduced now, distribution channels can’t quite get those items to retail.

I was saddened to see that dairy farmers are having to dump milk straight from milking to manure pits. So many kids and people don’t get enough of the nutrients that milk can provide. 

Re: flour, it’s a packaging issue (at least in the UK, per a BBC article). Commercial customers buy flour in large packages, retail customers buy it 5lbs or less at a time. There’s lots of flour, but not enough retail packaging to get it into stores. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    caliking said:
    @botch , @Eoin it’s apparently a distribution issue. Since commercial demand for things like flour and dairy products is drastically reduced now, distribution channels can’t quite get those items to retail.

I was saddened to see that dairy farmers are having to dump milk straight from milking to manure pits. So many kids and people don’t get enough of the nutrients that milk can provide. 

Re: flour, it’s a packaging issue (at least in the UK, per a BBC article). Commercial customers buy flour in large packages, retail customers buy it 5lbs or less at a time. There’s lots of flour, but not enough retail packaging to get it into stores. 
    We buy mail order from a mill in 25 kg sacks - they have been sold out for weeks.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Costco had everything I went for Friday except eggs. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    Yeast.  Finally found some toilet paper.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Clorox Wipes of any kind and of course face masks, no luck.
    I can send you some face masks if you need them. 
    That’s super nice to offer. For now, I’m benched at work. Using vacation time to keep getting paid for now. So I’m safe at home except for quick store runs.
    Awesome to offer.
    Be safe buddy!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    In late Mid March I ordered a box(36 rolls) of Quilted Northern TP on Amazon with a promised delivery of April 22nd. It came a week ago. If you are TP deprived you might try that. Be patient as I hsd to scroll forever. 
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

Midwest Mex is waiting on their supplier for the rub
    Can't find a site that will ship Renee's to the states

:|   on both accounts
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Dolin vermouth.
    IL 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    Eoin said:
    caliking said:

We buy mail order from a mill in 25 kg sacks - they have been sold out for weeks.
    We buy in 50,000# trucks