Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Listening to Gov Cuomo speak. He's quite enjoyable and informative. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GATraveller
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options

Taking you for Walk
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I get the occasional newsletter from AIX Records (audiophile label) and the owner is very much against these "high-end" cables that snake-oil salesmen push, and he copied this review, which gave me quite a chuckle:

I ran into a couple this week that should get awards for creative use of the English language. Maybe this one will bring a smile to your face as they did for me...(better than getting angry, right?)
    “The Product Name Omitted maintain a very deft touch on the music, with a strong accent on detail resolution, but not at the expense of warmth or musicality. What I found particularly attractive was the way it could help unmask subtle microdynamic cues in the musical performance, ones that usually lurk at or just below the sonic waterline” 
    What the heck is the "sonic waterline" or the "detail resolution"?!? And once again that tired and true fallback, the "microdynamics." There is no such thing. And remember that this $3500 power cord plugs into the back of my OPPO BDP-205 and where the electrical signals find their way to the power supply circuit board through 12-gauge stranded wire at decidedly less cost.

:lol:  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Botch said:
    I get the occasional newsletter from AIX Records (audiophile label) and the owner is very much against these "high-end" cables that snake-oil salesmen push, and he copied this review, which gave me quite a chuckle:

I ran into a couple this week that should get awards for creative use of the English language. Maybe this one will bring a smile to your face as they did for me...(better than getting angry, right?)
    “The Product Name Omitted maintain a very deft touch on the music, with a strong accent on detail resolution, but not at the expense of warmth or musicality. What I found particularly attractive was the way it could help unmask subtle microdynamic cues in the musical performance, ones that usually lurk at or just below the sonic waterline” 
    What the heck is the "sonic waterline" or the "detail resolution"?!? And once again that tired and true fallback, the "microdynamics." There is no such thing. And remember that this $3500 power cord plugs into the back of my OPPO BDP-205 and where the electrical signals find their way to the power supply circuit board through 12-gauge stranded wire at decidedly less cost.

:lol:  

I think the folks that right those sort of high end stereo reviews also write these type of wine reviews...

"Deep purple colour. Aromas of rich dark currants, nectarine skins, gushing blackberry, but lots of fragrant tobacco, rich soil, white flowers, smashed minerals and metal. Medium-bodied and saucy but racy acidity stabilises the wine nicely with the robust tannins. Deep red currants and ripe cherries, laden with mocha, loamy soil, charred herbs, pencil shavings, roasted hazelnut. Dense like characters that make it perfect for cellaring, however it is drinkable straight away once you expose it to the earth’s atmosphere. This is a delicious Sonoma Cabernet! Has been matured for 24 months in 2 year old 55% Tronçais and 45% Vosges oak. 95 points."

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options

Day four home from work. Annual Koi pond clean today.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I’m pi$$ed... Why did I wait this long to make pasta carbonara? Holy moly...

Beauty !! I've got some Guanciale I need to use up
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I think the folks that right those sort of high end stereo reviews also write these type of wine reviews...

"Deep purple colour. Aromas of rich dark currants, nectarine skins, gushing blackberry, but lots of fragrant tobacco, rich soil, white flowers, smashed minerals and metal. Medium-bodied and saucy but racy acidity stabilises the wine nicely with the robust tannins. Deep red currants and ripe cherries, laden with mocha, loamy soil, charred herbs, pencil shavings, roasted hazelnut. Dense like characters that make it perfect for cellaring, however it is drinkable straight away once you expose it to the earth’s atmosphere. This is a delicious Sonoma Cabernet! Has been matured for 24 months in 2 year old 55% Tronçais and 45% Vosges oak. 95 points."

Oooh, murky territory here!   =)

I'm also an (amateur) oenophile, and I've applied some of those descriptions to different wines I've had the pleasure of sampling over my lifetime.  I can usually identify one, and occasionally two, of the above aromas for any given wine, but not the laundry list this person had (minerals, vs. "smashed" minerals??!?.)  

But, there is a difference.  There is a rigorous award system to gain the worldwide title "Master Sommelier", and those folks can identify the grape (easy), the style (easy for them), the particular winery (the Terriorè (sp?), or soil/altitude/sun direction/latitude), and even the year it was made.  This is precisely tracked and yes, they can do it.  Consistently!  

Audiophiles?  HAH!  There have been a few "blind" testings between different speakers (easy), amps (pretty easy for transistor vs. tube vs. D), but preamps, digital formats, speaker cables, or most of all power cables, No Way!  The most ridiculous excuse I've ever read was that
    ... a properly-assembled system slowly acquires an ionized "shell" over all conductors, connections and cables, over several weeks.  Therefore, a "side-by-side" comparison of any link in the system is not possible.  However, people with highly-refined hearing (like me) can identify these differences...  (paraphrased)

The above-mentioned owner of AIX Records obtained some subversive video of A-B comparisons during Audio shows, showing volume levels being manipulated (loud always sounds better) during switchovers, convincing most of a roomful of "audiophiles"; and he's subsequently been banned from some of those shows/clubs.  

Science still loses out to Salesmanship.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lkapigian I used my last package of homemade bacon for this dish. It added so much flavor. I’ll eventually tumble down the sausage/charcuterie rabbit hole. Dang you guys... 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Tomorrow’s dinner

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:

I'm also an (amateur) oenophile, and I've applied some of those descriptions to different wines I've had the pleasure of sampling over my lifetime.  I can usually identify one, and occasionally two, of the above aromas for any given wine, but not the laundry list this person had (minerals, vs. "smashed" minerals??!?.)  

But, there is a difference.  There is a rigorous award system to gain the worldwide title "Master Sommelier", and those folks can identify the grape (easy), the style (easy for them), the particular winery (the Terriorè (sp?), or soil/altitude/sun direction/latitude), and even the year it was made.  This is precisely tracked and yes, they can do it.  Consistently!  

Audiophiles?  HAH!  There have been a few "blind" testings between different speakers (easy), amps (pretty easy for transistor vs. tube vs. D), but preamps, digital formats, speaker cables, or most of all power cables, No Way!  The most ridiculous excuse I've ever read was that
    ... a properly-assembled system slowly acquires an ionized "shell" over all conductors, connections and cables, over several weeks.  Therefore, a "side-by-side" comparison of any link in the system is not possible.  However, people with highly-refined hearing (like me) can identify these differences...  (paraphrased)

The above-mentioned owner of AIX Records obtained some subversive video of A-B comparisons during Audio shows, showing volume levels being manipulated (loud always sounds better) during switchovers, convincing most of a roomful of "audiophiles"; and he's subsequently been banned from some of those shows/clubs.  

My hearing took a severe hit after caliqueen was pregnant. There were only so many car seat/bottle/ diaper/ stroller reviews I could pay attention to. 

My AV setup is laughable, compared to what most folks here have. Caliprince managed to wreck the DVD player some time back, so hooked up an old Magnavox DVD writer as backup. With white and red banana plugs. 

We’re Luddites and don’t watch much TV. The little guy may never know what he’s missing =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    edited March 2020
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Taking you for Walk
    That's because my dumb azz can't walk and work my phone without slowing down a step or two. Usually she stays right in step and on the white...almost mindlessly. Greyhounds love their routine - gonna be a rude awakening when we all get back to real life. 

Tonight's dinner consisted of smash burgers on the Blackstone served with chips and box Mac N cheese. No pics. 

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,863
    Options

My dog likes being on the lead, suggesting she likes to know I am still attached / close-by rather than any risk of her running off.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Botch said:
    HeavyG said:

Well...I was mainly just referring to the pretentiously florid style of writing that one often comes across in writings in those two subject areas.
    In both of those areas I have no doubt that there is a small (very, very, very small) percentage of humans with particularly gifted senses that can distinguish things that the bulk of humanity (the 99.9999999% of us) cannot.
    Both of those subject areas rely heavily on peer pressure to manipulate guide the general public towards product offerings they deem worthy.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    edited March 2020
    Options
    got the truck up to 140 mph friday during rush hour on  interstate 95, had to do it once. 5 pm and no one there.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited March 2020
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I love my wife - truly - but God help me if I have to stay quarantined with her for much longer...
    This cracked me up. I was walking with mine the other day with our pup. I was listening to some tunes on the Bose Sunglasses. She has only 1/4 hearing in one ear (wife tho the dog is loosing his too). She starts on me about responding to her (question I guess) too loud. Mind you we are outside on a walking sidewalk with the nearest house probably 2 blocks away. I know exactly where you are coming from. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,297
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I love my wife - truly - but God help me if I have to stay quarantined with her for much longer...
    This cracked me up. I was walking with mine the other day with our pup. I was listening to some tunes on the Bose Sunglasses. She has only 1/4 hearing in one ear (wife tho the dog is loosing his too). She starts on me about responding to her (question I guess) too loud. Mind you we are outside on a walking sidewalk with the nearest house probably 2 blocks away. I know exactly where you are coming from. 
    Time to look up an online ASL course. I have had bad hearing in one ear, have problems hearing low pitched voices, since I had a lot of ear infections as a child. Now I have tinnitus in the other ear. I wish schools would offer it as a “foreign “ language in high school. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Time to look up an online ASL course. I have had bad hearing in one ear, have problems hearing low pitched voices, since I had a lot of ear infections as a child. Now I have tinnitus in the other ear. I wish schools would offer it as a “foreign “ language in high school. 

Look at the bright side. If you cannot hear the voices in your head, aren't you less likely to be crazy?
    Uh, good luck w/ that?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like the day ended well. Got home and 4 pair of fine American made Roundhouse overalls, a pair of American made Wolverine boots, a fine American made RTIC 65 cooler and several RTIC cups and jugs arrived. If luck holds, maybe the wife will serve anus for supper 🤤

American made RTIC... :rofl:
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Just a friendly reminder fellows. With the temps hovering around 90 now on a daily basis, keep your eyes peeled when out. They are on the prowl. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Been working on this today..spool for the wire welder went kaput after literally 2 minutes..so I couldn't finish my router sled (for flattening). After a bunch of little crap going wrong all week I blew my gasket ..went to lowes and got an electric hand planer. Will finish this weekend come hell or high water.