Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    trying to write a "transit letter for essential massachusetts business".   never saw that coming.  havent found a site where i can copy one yet
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    After welding I want to start learning about hardscaping and masonry. 
    After watching 4-8 guys work for 2 months at the house, I can promise you that it’s work best left to young men with strong backs and questionable paperwork. 
    Having done some extensive masonry work myself (unprofessionally) but for significant lengths of time with natural stone - I could not agree more with this comment.
    $htz is heavy, crushes fingers, isn’t flexible, is heavy, mortar has a working period, have to calculate expansion/contraction, is heavy, lines have to be straight or totally random - it is difficult to have both and look good- need to order enough the first time so it all matches, is heavy, have to consider waste water management, when cutting you need all appropriate safety gear, and if laying on the ground it will kill your back.  
    Regardless it will kill your back. Know why?  It is really freaking heavy!!! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
     Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    I never found building stuff that difficult technically, as long as you take your time and pay attention to detail. The hard part is to do it quickly. I've done every job in the house and garden and done them all well, but slowly.  A good bricklayer is a joy to watch, the skill and speed.
    “Skill and speed” 
    You are referring to their drinking abilities, correct? 
    It’s a dying trade because it’s hard work and the kids generally don’t gravitate towards hard work. Usually some of the best salty conversations are had in the masons scaffold. Lots of time to talk once they have their craft mastered. One on top of two or one on top of one, generally. LOL. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    But at the same time it looks awesome... so there is that....
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
     Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    I never found building stuff that difficult technically, as long as you take your time and pay attention to detail. The hard part is to do it quickly. I've done every job in the house and garden and done them all well, but slowly.  A good bricklayer is a joy to watch, the skill and speed.
    “Skill and speed” 
    You are referring to their drinking abilities, correct? 
    It’s a dying trade because it’s hard work and the kids generally don’t gravitate towards hard work. Usually some of the best salty conversations are had in the masons scaffold. Lots of time to talk once they have their craft mastered. One on top of two or one on top of one, generally. LOL. 
    They just do it on auto pilot, so are free to chat.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    trying to write a "transit letter for essential massachusetts business".   never saw that coming.  havent found a site where i can copy one yet

Example of ours:

To Whom it may concern:

This letter is to certify that the bearer is an employee of (Blank) and as such should be granted access to travel to, from and in the course of work. The work we do is supporting hundreds of companies with many providing essential services.

Per Indiana Executive Order 20-08 effective March 24-April 4, 2020: …

11. Essential Infrastructure For the purpose of this Executive Order, individuals may leave their homes and residences in order to provide any services or to perform any work necessary to offer, provision, operate, maintain, and repair Essential Infrastructure. ProBleu supports companies involved in the following per the Governor’s Order: . . . internet, video, and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based services). …

14. Essential Businesses and Operations Per the Governor’s Order, ProBleu supports clients involved in the following exempted services: Food, Beverage, and Agriculture Charitable and Social Services Religious Entities Media Financial and Insurance Institutions Critical Trades as listed Educational Institutions Restaurants Supplies for Essential Businesses and Operations Transportation Professional Services

If you have any questions, please contact us directly.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    As much as history says other-wise, I could get some good news Weds.  If I can trust the 5 letter shipper company (will the boxes get landed upside down??) and the projections, my SRF brisket order and Creekstone farms prime tomahawk steak order are scheduled to be out for delivery tomorrow.  Time will tell.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

Example of ours:

To Whom it may concern:

This letter is to certify that the bearer is an employee of (Blank) and as such should be granted access to travel to, from and in the course of work. The work we do is supporting hundreds of companies with many providing essential services.

Per Indiana Executive Order 20-08 effective March 24-April 4, 2020: …

11. Essential Infrastructure For the purpose of this Executive Order, individuals may leave their homes and residences in order to provide any services or to perform any work necessary to offer, provision, operate, maintain, and repair Essential Infrastructure. ProBleu supports companies involved in the following per the Governor’s Order: . . . internet, video, and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based services). …

14. Essential Businesses and Operations Per the Governor’s Order, ProBleu supports clients involved in the following exempted services: Food, Beverage, and Agriculture Charitable and Social Services Religious Entities Media Financial and Insurance Institutions Critical Trades as listed Educational Institutions Restaurants Supplies for Essential Businesses and Operations Transportation Professional Services

If you have any questions, please contact us directly.

Thanks, i just got done writing mine, seems similar enough, i think it should fly

3/23/2020

RE: Transit Letter for Essential Massachusetts Business

To whom it may concern:

I am writing this letter on behalf of________________________who is employed at H & H ENGINEERING CO., INC., located at 6 Pine ST, Methuen MA, 01844. Based on the federal definition of a critical infrastructure sector,       H & H falls under essential manufacturing.  At H&H,________________performs work necessary to the operation.

Critical Infrastructure is the body of systems, networks and assets that are so essential that their continued operation is required to secure the security of our nation, its economy, and the public's health and/or safety.

On March 23,2020 Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker ordered at 12:00 noon on March 24,2020, that all nonessential businesses should cease in person operations and directed the Department of Public Health to issue a "Stay at Home Advisory" for two weeks in the state of Massachusetts.

H & H will continue operations while adhering to the guidance of the CDC (ex: social distancing, hand washing, and cleaning).

Please contact me directly with any questions.  Thank you

Sincerely,

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    looks strange with all the capitals

fukahwee maine

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    ok scratch that
    I've been taking some blacksmithing classes.  They're a lot of fun and great stress relief.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    GATraveller said:
    I've been taking some blacksmithing classes.  They're a lot of fun and great stress relief.

I took a machining lab in college, taught by a real old guy.  One night he said, "Next week we'll meet at Bldg XX, I've got a surprise for you".  That building was small, extremely old, and turned out to be a blacksmithing shop, and the furnace was already fired up.  Instructor introduced his Dad, 93 years old, who worked the bellows on the furnace, tossed some rods into the fire, then with sledgehammer, tongs, and an anvil, proceeded to make a log chain, link by link.  
    One of the most memorable classes ever.  Bet hand's-on is a lot of fun!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    Botch said:
    GATraveller said:

I took a machining lab in college, taught by a real old guy.  One night he said, "Next week we'll meet at Bldg XX, I've got a surprise for you".  That building was small, extremely old, and turned out to be a blacksmithing shop, and the furnace was already fired up.  Instructor introduced his Dad, 93 years old, who worked the bellows on the furnace, tossed some rods into the fire, then with sledgehammer, tongs, and an anvil, proceeded to make a log chain, link by link.  
    You don’t by chance remember the building? Would be curious if it is one the recent demolitions.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Botch said:
    GATraveller said:

You don’t by chance remember the building? Would be curious if it is one the recent demolitions.
    This was after I transferred to South Dakota State (Jr year), and switched from Aerospace Engineering to Mechanical.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    @Botch - ok, I was wondering if it was the old nuclear engineering building since it had furnaces for glass blowing.  They tore it down for a new shared innovations center a couple years ago, demo day made for some great meme photos about a nuclear accident. 

• HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    As much as history says other-wise, I could get some good news Weds.  If I can trust the 5 letter shipper company (will the boxes get landed upside down??) and the projections, my SRF brisket order and Creekstone farms prime tomahawk steak order are scheduled to be out for delivery tomorrow.  Time will tell.  

Whether the three letter or five letter, if they mess it up, you'll have some strong four letter words for them, I'm sure.
    Memphis, TN
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
    Worse yet, I placed an order for garden seeds with a company in Missouri. They ship for free but they use DHL. It goes from Missouri to Georgia then back to Mobile Alabama where they....wait for it....put it into USPS. Round trip is about 7 days. If they had just dropped it into the post office to begin with I would have it within 2 days.
  • SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    Options
    Decided to do antastentest with five seasonings.

All were very good. We were pleasantly surprised how good Garlic  Parmesan tasted. 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    After watching 4-8 guys work for 2 months at the house, I can promise you that it’s work best left to young men with strong backs and questionable paperwork. 

I've ripped out about 100+' of 8 feet high viburnum bushes along the back of our pool cage area.  It must've been 50 different root balls that came out.  Each one kicked my ass....  Not sure what the $ amount saved was or if it was "worth it", but it does feel good to look at the barren empty space in it's place and say, "I did that."
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

Water line repair. 

Replacing  schedule 40 with schedule 80. Anyone know if you can direct bury pex? That would be ideal.  Wondering about the crimps rotting off.  I know you can install in areas where it would be exposed to sunlight.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Water line repair. 

Replacing  schedule 40 with schedule 80. Anyone know if you can direct bury pex? That would be ideal.  Wondering about the crimps rotting off.  I know you can install in areas where it would be exposed to sunlight.
    NICE WORK! I believe you can get the clamps in brass or stainless
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You can bury PEX.  You can not expose it to sunlight.  Crimps rotting off is not an issue, if you want to build a 50 years plumbing job use hard metal pipe.
    Options
    You can always coat the crimps with a mastic 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    you can also bury a PVC pipe as conduit and run the pex inside it. That would last a LOOONG time
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    you can also bury a PVC pipe as conduit and run the pex inside it. That would last a LOOONG time

We did that for the section of pvc water pipe that runs from the road under a creak to our house. We used 2" PVC as conduit for the 1" water line, IIRC. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

As per manufacturer's directions, longevity in a buried PEX installation consists of making sure it's not going to freeze (depth) and filling the area around the tubing with sand.
    Options

As per manufacturer's directions, longevity in a buried PEX installation consists of making sure it's not going to freeze (depth) and filling the area around the tubing with sand.
    And repairs depend on the ability to get to it, which conduit allows for. Things happen. It's nice to be able to fix without retrenching. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    SonVolt said:
    Having done some extensive masonry work myself (unprofessionally) but for significant lengths of time with natural stone - I could not agree more with this comment.
    $htz is heavy, crushes fingers, isn’t flexible, is heavy, mortar has a working period, have to calculate expansion/contraction, is heavy, lines have to be straight or totally random - it is difficult to have both and look good- need to order enough the first time so it all matches, is heavy, have to consider waste water management, when cutting you need all appropriate safety gear, and if laying on the ground it will kill your back.  
    Regardless it will kill your back. Know why?  It is really freaking heavy!!! 
    Been there, done that.  Do not forget it is HEAVY!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    @Botch - ok, I was wondering if it was the old nuclear engineering building since it had furnaces for glass blowing.  They tore it down for a new shared innovations center a couple years ago, demo day made for some great meme photos about a nuclear accident. 

As a kid I dreamed of operating a crane and wrecking ball.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA