Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    How much practice would it take before giving something like this a shot? Minus the trailer. I sent an email to the company in Texas requesting a quote on the model below and they said $17,999. I don't know who they're fooling, but I would have thought $4k tops...

Looks like a Fat Stax Smoker..............but yes you can get used LP Tanks pretty reasonable and with some sweat equity get it done...I would also invest in a plasma cutter to make life easy........I can do it with gas just fine but plasma is nice 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    edited March 2020
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    How much practice would it take before giving something like this a shot? Minus the trailer. I sent an email to the company in Texas requesting a quote on the model below and they said $17,999. I don't know who they're fooling, but I would have thought $4k tops...

i know shops down in texas work for cheap but up here its a grand a day for a fitter/welder ;) i would look at simpler rectangular designs for a first time smoker. that big splice into the hemispherical head isnt the easiest ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    governors closing things down at noon tomorrow for a couple weeks. not sure if i keep a skeleton crew for the hospitals, sewer, water etc  or try to pull a crew together if needed and leave everyone on call
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Here in the UK what you are talking about making is 2 separate trades. Platers do the cutting and fitting and tack up the fab. Welders make the welded joint. Now it's mostly combined skills, but what I'm getting at is that the welding bit is the least of your problems for something non-critical like a smoker. Keep it box shaped and life is easier. Even better if you can draw, then you can buy the profiles and only have the weld prep and set up to do. You could mock it up in thin ply and then draw what you end up with. Go on the course and see what you think afterwards.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    This one dropped to $4,600 over on the Brethren @SonVolt

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Never thought I'd be so excited to get a couch delivered. Lol.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    I would trade my plasma cutter for this on most jobs.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    @SonVolt I find this guys channel informative for being a backyard pit builder

https://youtu.be/rYxo9h6Jtdg 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    SonVolt said:

i know shops down in texas work for cheap but up here its a grand a day for a fitter/welder ;) i would look at simpler rectangular designs for a first time smoker. that big splice into the hemispherical head isnt the easiest ;)

So $18k for that isn't too far fetched?  Just seems crazy high to me, especially compared to the Shirley Fab price sheet. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,124
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

So $18k for that isn't too far fetched?  Just seems crazy high to me, especially compared to the Shirley Fab price sheet. 
    I think $18k is high, but at $4k there is no way to make money.  I would say the $10k-$12k would make sense.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

from scratch in a job shop up here i could see it going that high, not many places up here attempting to compete with the south with these things.  you would need to cheat, a used propane tank or a mass produced air compressor tank with a different head style(less dish). 4 grand with that style and size would be a home type project. the guy that fit and welded that firebox connection did a great job, usually when you see a connection like that it looks crooked from the smoker box/ fire box in the horizontal as it tends to shrink inward from welding on the head
    fukahwee maine

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,363
    Options
    Just made BattleDog a new batch of food for the week.

Also praying that all these people that are out buying firearms have done a slight bit of research on how to own and operate them. I saw at least 4 calls last week of people negligently discharging them into other people's homes or shooting themselves in the leg.
    Las Vegas, NV

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Not egged, because it’s cold and rainy and I was lazy, but roast cod with muffaletta spread, Israeli couscous, and chopped salad.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Hoping my grocery delivery scheduled for tomorrow actually delivers the things I ordered.  I'm in the high risk category and really do not want to go to the store if I don't have to.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Never read so much derp in my life. Its everywhere folks 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options

Are you the Farah faucet look alike? I know that's not how you spell her name, too lazy to look it up. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • ColtsFan
    Options

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Eoin said:
    This path is pretty rustic anyway, but a section had sunk badly, so I've dug it out and re-laid the edges. Starting on the herringbone pattern now. The blue edging bricks were salvaged from my parents house in Staffordshire when they sold up, well over 20 years ago. These are very hard and almost impervious to water, made from a particular type of clay and fired in a reducing atmosphere. 

Thats very cool. I did a 20x20 patio in a herringbone pattern with a straight border. Looked like a high end rug.  Lots of little triangle cut to be made, but very satisfying when done.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SonVolt
    Options
    After welding I want to start learning about hardscaping and masonry. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    better have a good back.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    We gotta eat 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    After watching 4-8 guys work for 2 months at the house, I can promise you that it’s work best left to young men with strong backs and questionable paperwork. 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    ok scratch that
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    you can easily undertake selecting what plants you like, where to put them, and the design of your hardscape. 

I still have 2 bulging disks in my 40's that happened building a 9foot x 50 foot retaining wall with 60lb blocks for my parents when I was in college....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I never found building stuff that difficult technically, as long as you take your time and pay attention to detail. The hard part is to do it quickly. I've done every job in the house and garden and done them all well, but slowly.  A good bricklayer is a joy to watch, the skill and speed.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Eoin said:
    SonVolt said:
    I never found building stuff that difficult technically, as long as you take your time and pay attention to detail. The hard part is to do it quickly. I've done every job in the house and garden and done them all well, but slowly.  A good bricklayer is a joy to watch, the skill and speed.
    The mason who built my parents home was in his 80's. They insisted on hiring an assistant for him to mix and haul mortar and bricks.

In my career I supervised the construction of several public buildings. On my first I had an inspector in my employee who had previously don masonry and concrete finishing. I told the contractor that I was going to charge him tuition for my inspector training his people. I also learned a lots from old Willie.