Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Stress baking... Kolache

caliking
caliking Posts: 18,727
How do you keep a 43yo and a 6yo entertained at home?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Nice!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    We have a Kolache Factory restaurant in our hood and yours look just as tasty as what we get from them.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    HeavyG said:
    We have a Kolache Factory restaurant in our hood and yours look just as tasty as what we get from them.
    If it’s the same Kolache Factory chain we have here, then I’ll wager these are better :) 

The ones in the middle are topped with homemade grapefruit and lemon pineapple marmalades. The grapefruit and Meyer lemons were from a colleague’s tree. She usually gives me a few dozen of each every year. 

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    The town of Wilber, NE has a Czech Festival each year, towards the end of July.  Highly recommended if you're in the area (unless you live in SE Nebr. prolly no reason you'd be in the area).  Be sure to eat at the Lutheran or Methodist Church but the Methodist will always have the better desserts!

Your Kolaches look every bit as good as I've had in Wilber.  Nice!
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    You have been killing the baking stuff!
    Awesome way to relax
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Those look awesome man o man
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    Photo Egg said:
    You have been killing the baking stuff!
    Awesome way to relax
    Thank you. I've been enjoying baking way more than I ever thought I would.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Definitely drool worthy.
  • caliking
    dbCooper said:
    The town of Wilber, NE has a Czech Festival each year, towards the end of July.  Highly recommended if you're in the area (unless you live in SE Nebr. prolly no reason you'd be in the area).  Be sure to eat at the Lutheran or Methodist Church but the Methodist will always have the better desserts!

Your Kolaches look every bit as good as I've had in Wilber.  Nice!
    Will keep that in mind if I'm ever over there. Was a big fan of church eats when we lived in Iowa. Best pancake breakfasts ever. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I’m going to tackle sourdough English muffins during this madness. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Looks delish. What’s this stress you speak of? Low TP supply?
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    I’m going to tackle sourdough English muffins during this madness. 
    Made them once, and they were well worth the effort. Don't know why I haven't made them again. They were good. 

• caliking
    Looks delish. What’s this stress you speak of? Low TP supply?
    TP supply is low on the list of stressors. Keeping aforementioned 6yo educated and entertained is near the top though :smiley: 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You can cook!  Made me forget where is West.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    very nice cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I showed my fam how to make homemade mayo with a handi blender, they thought I invented food science.  What would they feel like if they knew Kolaches could be made at home? I feel sad now, but I have some good mayo.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Boy, those looks delicious. Nice work.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Damn Cali!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Never knew the name of those. My Mom used make them, filled with mince meat. Every Christmas. Ex makes 'em filled with apricot jam. Brother makes 'em filled with apricot or blackberry jam. All delicious! I tried 'em a couple of times and gave up! Yours look great... maybe I'll try again.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Grapefruit marmalade sounds really interesting. I could easily destroy over half that pan accompanied with a tall glass of cold milk. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • caliking said:
    Looks delish. What’s this stress you speak of? Low TP supply?
    TP supply is low on the list of stressors. Keeping aforementioned 6yo educated and entertained is near the top though :smiley: 
    We’re in similar boats, my friend. Almost 6yo and a 9mth old here. Likely to make some cupcakes with the 6yo today?
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    Baking can be so rewarding or so humbling. You can follow a recipe to the T and never have it come out the same way twice. Very nice Kolache
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    My grandma Mabel lived in northeast Nebraska (Wayne) and was the kolache master.  Her specialties were cherry, lemon, apricot and prune.  Though the prune ones went last, they all went quick.  It’s a two hour drive from Wayne to my hometown and our family of five housed two dozen before we made it home.  Ha!  

Grandma’s recipe was definitely by feel.  She had measurements like “handful” and “half handful”.  Very difficult to replicate.  They will always be one of my favorite foods, and a wonderful memory of a wonderful grandma.

Your post made me nostalgic.  Thanks Cali!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SaltySam
    @dbCooper are you from the Wilber area?

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    1). There’s an annual Czech festival in LaGrange, not too far from Houston and it’s pretty fun. 
    2). @caliking, @20stone, and @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I blame you guys for the fact that my 25 y/o is baking stuff on her spring break. Like a lemon blackberry tart that she made from scratch. She sure didn’t get it from me. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    SaltySam said:
    About an hour away, I'm in the Lincoln area.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    How is the little one doing being on social isolation from his model GFs?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    edited March 2020
    dbCooper said:
    SaltySam said:

Lived in Lincoln for 5 years.  I wish I had an egg back then, so I could buy some corn off the back of a pick up truck and cook it on the egg. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SaltySam
    thetrim said:
    dbCooper said:
    SaltySam said:

Lived in Lincoln for 5 years.  I wish I had an egg back then, so I could buy some corn off the back of a pick up truck and cook it on the egg. 
    I’m in Omaha.  I need to pay attention to the local guys here on the forum.  I know I’ve had several conversations with certain Eggheads about Nebraska, and like an idiot, I ask them again where they’re from.  

If we’ve met, I’m sorry I’m dumb.  

Go Big Red! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• caliking
    Never knew the name of those. My Mom used make them, filled with mince meat. Every Christmas. Ex makes 'em filled with apricot jam. Brother makes 'em filled with apricot or blackberry jam. All delicious! I tried 'em a couple of times and gave up! Yours look great... maybe I'll try again.
    They weren't too hard to make. The recipe called for a bit more yeast than was necessary IMO, so had to punch down the dough a couple of times and wait longer. This dough needs to be somewhat on the overproofed side to work best.