Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roccbox or Ooni?

I'm spending my CV check before it's even issued.  Been wanting a pizza oven and this might be a good time to pull the trigger.  Ooni Pro bundle:  $750, 3 yr warranty.  Roccbox:  $699, 5 yr warranty, wood burner included.

Any preferences?
Signal Mountain, TN

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Don't own either, but Roccbox. :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Own a roccbox. Love it. Haven’t used others though so hard for me to directly compare. 

Brandon - Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I would have said Roccbox a few weeks ago until I saw that 16” ooni. You won’t be using wood in any of them... 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Roccbox all the way.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Roccbox I love mine.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    If you do want to be able to use wood at least occasionally I'd go with the Ooni Pro. It works quite well with wood from all accounts I've read. The Roccbox also works ok with wood but it can be a lot more finicky than the Ooni Pro from what I have read.
    If wood usage is of no real importance you should take a look at the new Ooni Koda and Koda 16. They're gas only and the Koda 16 will do pies a bit larger than the Ooni Pro.
    If you are fine with the smaller size pies that a Roccbox limits you to and are ok with just using gas I'd probably opt for the Ooni Koda rather than the Roccbox as it is half the price.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Maybe I'm a little crazy, but I'm thinking about building one from scratch
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I've done a TON of outdoor pizza oven research.  There is no one right answer, but after extensive research I've decided to get the Ooni Koda 16 with the natural gas conversion kit.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Hub said:
    I've done a TON of outdoor pizza oven research.  There is no one right answer, but after extensive research I've decided to get the Ooni Koda 16 with the natural gas conversion kit.
    Even though it’s not on the market yet, I think that’s a solid pick.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Until Roccbox releases a larger model I'd go Ooni, but I don't own either. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I went Ooni Koda.  Almost half the price of a Roccbox, it's lighter, and has a larger cooking surface. Pics to follow.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Photo Egg
    Hub said:
    I see Ooni is saying the 16” is in stock. Any shipping info on yours?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • TN_Egger said:
    I went Ooni Koda.  Almost half the price of a Roccbox, it's lighter, and has a larger cooking surface. Pics to follow.
    Roccbox here but I may have gone the way you did if it were available at the time. Love my RB but there have been a ton of cool additions added to the market since I bought it. FWIW I have never felt the need to cook larger pies than the RB can handle but I can see how someone with a larger family might want to. Takes 90 seconds to make another pie so size has not really been an issue for us 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    TN_Egger said:
    Good luck with it.   My RB definitely forced me to up my pizza dough game.  I suspect you’ll have a similar experience with the Ooni.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SonVolt
    Wanasmoke said:
    If you are open to spending a little more $ then I would suggest looking at a Fontana wood fired oven. Had mine for 2 years and love it!  Initially looked at building one from scratch but got sticker shock. Settled on the Fontana - great support and truly versatile. 

How much did that run you if you don't mind me asking? Also - can it be left exposed to the elements or does it need to be covered? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    @SonVolt  My model cost about $3500 but there are lots of sizes and options available. I’m in Wisconsin and it’s been out on my patio for 2 years, sometimes covered, sometimes not. It’s holding up really well, just some occasional cleaning. I’m always looking for an excuse to fire it up!!
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • SonVolt
    Wanasmoke said:
    @SonVolt  My model cost about $3500 but there are lots of sizes and options available. I’m in Wisconsin and it’s been out on my patio for 2 years, sometimes covered, sometimes not. It’s holding up really well, just some occasional cleaning. I’m always looking for an excuse to fire it up!!

I'm putting this on my wishlist. How a big pizza can you fit through the door? The website says like 3 10" (etc) pizzas but not the max size of 1 pizza. 
  • Wanasmoke
    Wanasmoke Posts: 388
    @SonVolt  That opening is another 24” wide. No problem fitting the biggest peel you have thru the door
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    I ordered the new ooni yesterday afternoon and it is ready for pickup and delivery today. I have some work to do to catch up to most here. And dough suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Moleman said:
    I ordered the new ooni yesterday afternoon and it is ready for pickup and delivery today. I have some work to do to catch up to most here. And dough suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. 
    Look up Ken Forkish and get his pizza book “The Elements of Pizza”. Pizzamakingforum is also a great resource.
  • SonVolt
    edited March 2020
    Unlike say, steak - Pizza has a steep learning curve. Especially handling the dough, so don't be discouraged if you ruin some pies early on. It's part of the process (fun?) and very rewarding once you get the hang of it.  I recommend NOT using the parchment paper method and instead using semolina to make your peel nonstick. Parchment creates an "artificial" non-stick layer and prevents you from getting a feel for timing & how the dough should slide on top of the peel. 
  • Moleman
    I appreciate the info SonVolt, I don't mind wasting flour and cheese as I learn. 
  • Photo Egg
    Moleman said:
    Did you order the Koda 16?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Moleman
    Yes sir to Photo Egg. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Is OO flour worth the hassle/price?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • SonVolt
    edited March 2020
    TN_Egger said:

I found 2lb bags of Caputo 00 at Freshmarket for ~$3-4 a bag. I removed it from my Amazon cart and stocked up. 
  • Photo Egg
    TN_Egger said:
    If you get the correct 00 for your needs.
    00 is only the grind. Some are made for high oven temps and some are made for high temp pizza ovens.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I had my first pizza with the new Caputo Nuvola or cloud flour. It was so good I bought three more bags.
    Mountain View, CA