Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roccbox or Ooni?

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,980
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I had my first pizza with the new Caputo Nuvola or cloud flour. It was so good I bought three more bags.
    Where did you find this stuff?  I need to try it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Amazon had some.
    Mountain View, CA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Amazon had some.
    Nice.  Thanks friend.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Is OO flour worth the hassle/price?
    OO refers to the fineness of the grind. It is available in low protein to high protein content.  Make sure you get the proper protein content for your dough recipe. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    dmourati said:
    I had my first pizza with the new Caputo Nuvola or cloud flour. It was so good I bought three more bags.

This is where I get most of my flour. You can get smaller qty repacks

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    dmourati said:

Yeah that's also a good shop and I've used them before as well.  Didn't realize they were carrying this stuff too - thanks.  
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Moleman said:
    I ordered the new ooni yesterday afternoon and it is ready for pickup and delivery today. I have some work to do to catch up to most here. And dough suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. 
    Look up Ken Forkish and get his pizza book “The Elements of Pizza”. Pizzamakingforum is also a great resource.
    Or if you want to have some fun you cal look up the pizza nazi on here (sam ferise?). The guy who told people that their pizzas hurt his eyes to look at and that his grandmother was rolling over in her grave because your pizza is so ugly! I miss him.

But the forkish book is awesome and the roccbox site is surprisingly good when it comes to different types of dough. I think JIC uses them a lot and he makes some pretty pies.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    dmourati said:

Yeah that's also a good shop and I've used them before as well.  Didn't realize they were carrying this stuff too - thanks.  
    My first Amazon order was fulfilled by brickoverbaker. I went to their site yesterday (or the day before) and they were mostly sold out of flour. Seems they resupplied. 
    Mountain View, CA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I just ordered the ooni koda 16  I had a 20% promo code from a guy on instagram.  He said they offered it for very limited use.  If you're interested, DM me, and I'll shoot you his instagram account, and y'all can work it out if it's still available
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited April 2020
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I just ordered the ooni koda 16  I had a 20% promo code from a guy on instagram.  He said they offered it for very limited use.  If you're interested, DM me, and I'll shoot you his instagram account, and y'all can work it out if it's still available
    I think you will really like the Koda 16.
    I like the duel Walls of Fire!
    And it’s large enough to slide in a cast iron pan.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Hmmm, I just purchased a Roccbox, it should be delivered today, crossing fingers that I made the right choice.

edited April 2020
    Options
    Not regretting this purchase.  Definite learning curve though.  My first couple of pies were better described as calzones.  A "failure to launch" resulted in dough stuck to the peel and toppings sliding into the oven.  Five or six pies in now and I'm beginning to get the hang of it.  

Ooni sent me a 10% off code to share with a friend - PM me if interested.

Signal Mountain, TN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    paqman said:
    Hmmm, I just purchased a Roccbox, it should be delivered today, crossing fingers that I made the right choice.
    You won't regret it.  The build quality on the RB is very high.  Those things are built to last.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,349
    Options
    paqman said:

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Plutonium
    Plutonium Posts: 230
    Options
    I have the Ooni 3 and love it. The pellet fire is a pain when it’s windy, may add the gas burner. Roccbox looks pretty nice, but I wasn’t ready to spend that much. 

Gotta get that Caputo 00 flour in bulk, check amazon. 

Albuquerque, NM - LBGE and an old rusted gasser that I use for accessory storage.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Where's the Blackstone Paqman?  B)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Where's the Blackstone Paqman?  B)
    It is there, on the left of the stainless table 😂

I am looking to purchase a pizza oven and have been trying to join both the web and Facebook groups for the Ooni Community for 3weeks now. I know they have an insular reputation, but any reason they make it so difficult to join? Doing more research, the Roccbox is definitely the better product, but the online community is lacking. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I am looking to purchase a pizza oven and have been trying to join both the web and Facebook groups for the Ooni Community for 3weeks now. I know they have an insular reputation, but any reason they make it so difficult to join? Doing more research, the Roccbox is definitely the better product, but the online community is lacking. 
    The Gozney Facebook group is the one you want for the Roccbox community.  It’s very active and people are super helpful and engaged.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Hey @DialSquare , here are the facebook pizza oven groups I frequent (related to ooni and gozney).  They are incredibly active and helpful:

Gozney Community

Gozney Dome Owners
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/432062048057987/

Ooni Community
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/oonicommunity

I could probably answer any question you have as well about ovens, I have owned nearly every ooni and gozney product.

My current stable is:
    • Ooni Karu 16
    • Ooni Koda 16
    • Gozney Roccbox
    • Gozney Dome

I have owned and sold the:
    • Ooni Pro 16
    • Ooni Karu 12
    • Ooni 3
    • Ooni 2S
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hey @DialSquare , here are the facebook pizza oven groups I frequent (related to ooni and gozney).  They are incredibly active and helpful:

Gozney Community

Gozney Dome Owners

Ooni Community

I could probably answer any question you have as well about ovens, I have owned nearly every ooni and gozney product.

My current stable is:
    • Ooni Karu 16
    • Ooni Koda 16
    • Gozney Roccbox
    • Gozney Dome

• Ooni Pro 16
    • Ooni Karu 12
    • Ooni 3
    • Ooni 2S
    Had an Uuni 2s, got rid of it. Much happier with Adore.
    canuckland
  • cookingdude555
    Options

Gozney Community

Gozney Dome Owners

Ooni Community

My current stable is:
    • Ooni Karu 16
    • Ooni Koda 16
    • Gozney Roccbox
    • Gozney Dome

• Ooni Pro 16
    • Ooni Karu 12
    • Ooni 3
    • Ooni 2S
    Had an Uuni 2s, got rid of it. Much happier with Adore.
    yeah it was a mess, terrible oven IMO.  I have alerts configured on facebook and other local classified type sites, so I pick them up quick and cheap.  The ooni 3 and 2S that I bought and sold I only kept for a week or so each.  Bought them for really cheap, and flipped them for about $80 profit or so.  So like a half a tank of gas these days.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Just bought a custom home from the couple that owns several Papa Murphy pizza franchises in Kansas.  I put a clause in the contract to get 1 free pizza per week, for 52 weeks. We have been doing these for several months, and have them make a custom pizza every Friday night.  All fresh ingredients, and I pick what I like every week… and cooked in my oven at 425. I love these pizza’s…much better than the ones on my BGE!
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    https://www.solostove.com/pi-pizza-oven/?utm_source=SSPLA&utm_medium=SSPLA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7uRBhDRARIsAFqjulkbq921Ua4UALzu2QMsYiawfHBcKotCWMVMpgQYfs7XyaiIa4X2ZDwaApoiEALw_wcB

Been eyeing a koda or Roccbox but struggling getting my wife on board.  Then the above link popped up on my feed.  I like the idea of more flame spread.  Would be used in our travel trailer and poolside.  
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    https://www.solostove.com/pi-pizza-oven/?utm_source=SSPLA&utm_medium=SSPLA&gclid=Cj0KCQjwz7uRBhDRARIsAFqjulkbq921Ua4UALzu2QMsYiawfHBcKotCWMVMpgQYfs7XyaiIa4X2ZDwaApoiEALw_wcB

Been eyeing a koda or Roccbox but struggling getting my wife on board.  Then the above link popped up on my feed.  I like the idea of more flame spread.  Would be used in our travel trailer and poolside.  
    Will be interested in your opinion when you get it. 
  • fiber_induced_deuce
    Options
    Just bought a custom home from the couple that owns several Papa Murphy pizza franchises in Kansas.  I put a clause in the contract to get 1 free pizza per week, for 52 weeks. We have been doing these for several months, and have them make a custom pizza every Friday night.  All fresh ingredients, and I pick what I like every week… and cooked in my oven at 425. I love these pizza’s…much better than the ones on my BGE!
    You’re definitely winning the game of life.
  • DialSquare
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and help, guys! I'm leaning towards the Roccbox, but was hoping to join the Ooni groups since they are quite active. I was super friendly in my registration info, so I'm not sure why they are so exclusive.
    @cookingdude555 thanks for the links, looks like you have a sweet collection!
    Cheers
    J

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,119
    Options
    Curious on the contract you signed with them.  Is it like a Papa Murphys subscription plan?  I do like their pizzas, but haven't seen anything like that.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin