Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roccbox or Ooni?

Options
13»

Comments

• fiber_induced_deuce
    fiber_induced_deuce Posts: 270
    edited March 2022
    Options
    It sounds like he wrote $1000 worth of pizza (<$300 cost to the seller) to him into the purchase contract for the house.  Savvy.  Did you get soft drinks thrown in as well?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,679
    Options
    With minimal effort I think you can out make a papa murphy pizza.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,996
    Options
    With minimal effort I think you can out make a papa murphy pizza.
    Making the three cheese blend is the hardest part, and you can find videos online to help with that.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,355
    Options
    I am looking to purchase a pizza oven and have been trying to join both the web and Facebook groups for the Ooni Community for 3weeks now. I know they have an insular reputation, but any reason they make it so difficult to join? Doing more research, the Roccbox is definitely the better product, but the online community is lacking. 
    Out of curiosity I requested an invite to the official Ooni forum. Got an invite/acceptance today - so 24 hours later. You must have just gotten lost in one of their inboxes or something.
    There are a lot of privately run Ooni specific groups on Facebook. There are a few pizza oven groups on Facebook that deal with multiple vendors ovens. Don't forget to check out the pizzamaking.com forum.
    I don't have either an Ooni or Roccbox (I'm team Blackstone and Ardore) but if I were to want to get into the portable pizza oven space right now I'd probably go with one of the Ooni Karu 16's over the Roccbox.
    Good luck with your quest, you really wouldn't go wrong with either company.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    Options
    Yet another entrant to the market...

Their wood fueled fire pits seem to have become very popular. Guess it's not that big a step to branch out into the pizza oven market. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,164
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Yet another entrant to the market...

Their wood fueled fire pits seem to have become very popular. Guess it's not that big a step to branch out into the pizza oven market. :)
    Released on 3/14 for my more intellectually inclined friends.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • VA_Egger
    VA_Egger Posts: 13
    Options
    I have the carbon pizza oven. The folks over on pizza making forum rave about it and I can understand why. Flame both above and below the stone, unlike others. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Looks interesting.  I haven't had an issue with the stone in my Ooni/Gozney ovens not keeping up with making pizza, but the carbon could solve that problem if you do.  Cool.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    VA_Egger said:
    I have the carbon pizza oven. The folks over on pizza making forum rave about it and I can understand why. Flame both above and below the stone, unlike others. 

The Blackstone heats both sides of the stone/pizza.

• VA_Egger
    Options
    I didn’t know that. Carbon says they’ve patented it, but who knows. 
  • VA_Egger
    Options
    Which is not to say others couldn’t find a way to do under-stone heating. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’m not convinced under stone heating is terribly important to how the pizza cooks.  A solid stone is mostly what you need.  The under stone heating surely helps get the stone up to temp quickly, but beyond that I think it’s questionable.  
  • VA_Egger
    Options
    You can’t keep the top burner ripping the entire time, because you’ll have too narrow a window where the stone is just right. Under stone heat gives me consistent launch temps without compromising the top side of the pie.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    VA_Egger said:
    I didn’t know that. Carbon says they’ve patented it, but who knows. 

Carbon's implementation of "dual" heating is sufficiently different from the Blackstone that it may well be patentable.

There are other ovens that have "dual" heating. The Breville Smart Pizza Oven (or whatever they call it) has a heating element under the stone and a separate heating element above the pizza/stone.
    Regardless, the Carbon looks like a pretty slick oven. Enjoy!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    VA_Egger said:
    You can’t keep the top burner ripping the entire time, because you’ll have too narrow a window where the stone is just right. Under stone heat gives me consistent launch temps without compromising the top side of the pie.
    I don’t know, I’ve never found this to be much of an issue with the Roccbox.  
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited March 2022
    Options
    For those that haven’t checked it out yet, the rabbit hole over at pizzamaking.com is bottomless. An endless store of great information makes it easy to suddenly realize you’ve been browsing for several hours. 

PS: I went with the Ooni Karu 16 with the added gas burner, it will be traveling with us in the 5th wheel.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.