Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: My Kid's School Just Closed Due to Coronavirus

Options

Comments

• Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    one fact I have not come across yet, maybe because I haven't looked hard enough.  Is in the people who have died from this, what percentage of them have a co-morbid ailment or condition that has already weakened their immune system?  Those who are healthy seem to be surviving just like the flu virus.  Just looking for the facts.  
    40% (132 million) of Americans are obese, 14% (38 million) smoke and close to 10% are diabetic (34.2 million).  This doesn't include the 15% (50 million) that are elderly. I would say those are significant co-morbid ailments and conditions.
    so is this virus killing people with co-morbid ailments or completely healthy people too? 

Does the flu kill completely healthy people or does is prominently kill people with co-morbid ailments?  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    Ban on all incoming passengers and cargo from Europe. Saddle up folks, we’re in for a ride. 
    Does that mean the Masters will be cancelled?
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Legume said:

Rollout of testing in US has been very slow compared to many countries.  You can’t count what you can’t test and confirm.  I don’t think we have any real idea of what the number of cases in US is at this point.  Country to country comparisons don’t really matter.
    My point in showing this comparison is because we are basically on the same trajectory as Italy yet many still discount the severity of the situation.

Totally agree with you then.  I mistook your message to be akin to the prez address last night - basically Europe f’d up and we’re going to do it right.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Matt86m

"Its the flu. 58,000 people die of the flu and pneumonia each year in the US. This is being hyped by the dems to make Trump look bad before the election. If Biden or Bernnie get in how fast will all this go away?"

Winning comment. Totally. 

Here is the Answer:
    Much faster than Trump could ever do it.

The Democrats have no need to to make Trump seem like an imbecile, he is doing a masterful job of this on his own. this may be the final straw for many.

We have known this virus was NOT contained in China since the first week of the New Year. Yet the president chose to do nothing.

To categorize this pandemic as the typical type influenza that evolves every "cold and flu season" which an appreciable portion of the population is inoculated against, with a .1% mortality rate...... is, at best, a very uninformed statement.

So far, based on the numbers from The WHO, the corona virus has a mortality rate that may go higher than its current .36% (Most are saying globally as high as 4.0%). It is likely to do so, since there is no vaccine available and the virus can mutate as it spreads to other highly populated areas with limited resources for medical care.

Since the global notification back in January, and the President doing nothing, the stock market has crashed, we are heading into a recession, the virus continues to spread exponentially across America every single day, and Americans are dying because of it.

Democratic hype of grave danger? If it is, and it shames the president to do something other than, of course, blame the democrats, we all should be thankful.

Wash your hands, do not touch your face, and stay away from people. That is all we have. The travel ban is only about 2 and a half months too late.
    There is nothing anyone could have done to prevent this. Maybe they could have delayed it a little but this crap has been here since December it just took time to blow up. 
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Matt86m

"Its the flu. 58,000 people die of the flu and pneumonia each year in the US. This is being hyped by the dems to make Trump look bad before the election. If Biden or Bernnie get in how fast will all this go away?"

Here is the Answer:

The Democrats have no need to to make Trump seem like an imbecile, he is doing a masterful job of this on his own. this may be the final straw for many.

We have known this virus was NOT contained in China since the first week of the New Year. Yet the president chose to do nothing.

To categorize this pandemic as the typical type influenza that evolves every "cold and flu season" which an appreciable portion of the population is inoculated against, with a .1% mortality rate...... is, at best, a very uninformed statement.

So far, based on the numbers from The WHO, the corona virus has a mortality rate that may go higher than its current .36% (Most are saying globally as high as 4.0%). It is likely to do so, since there is no vaccine available and the virus can mutate as it spreads to other highly populated areas with limited resources for medical care.

Since the global notification back in January, and the President doing nothing, the stock market has crashed, we are heading into a recession, the virus continues to spread exponentially across America every single day, and Americans are dying because of it.

Democratic hype of grave danger? If it is, and it shames the president to do something other than, of course, blame the democrats, we all should be thankful.

Wash your hands, do not touch your face, and stay away from people. That is all we have. The travel ban is only about 2 and a half months too late.
    I agree. Comparisons to the flu are absurd. This is not the flu--not in symptoms or mortality rate. As for travel bans, I don't have a problem with them, but they will do pretty much nothing. The disease is here. I know of several cases in my area, with more popping up every day.

What we need is testing and social distancing. Right now, we have the second-lowest testing rates of any country in the world. Republicans and Democrats should both be able to strip off their political uniforms for a moment and agree--that is flat-out unforgivable. 

That said, I do think we should try to hang on to some amount of calm here. The death rate is likely not as high as the WHO suggests. South Korea did an amazing job testing their population (and, therefore, catching many of the cases that were less severe), and their death rate comes out to .7 percent. That ought to give us some comfort. 
    Southern California
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Hoster05 said:
    Hoster05 said:
    one fact I have not come across yet, maybe because I haven't looked hard enough.  Is in the people who have died from this, what percentage of them have a co-morbid ailment or condition that has already weakened their immune system?  Those who are healthy seem to be surviving just like the flu virus.  Just looking for the facts.  
    40% (132 million) of Americans are obese, 14% (38 million) smoke and close to 10% are diabetic (34.2 million).  This doesn't include the 15% (50 million) that are elderly. I would say those are significant co-morbid ailments and conditions.
    so is this virus killing people with co-morbid ailments or completely healthy people too? 

Does the flu kill completely healthy people or does is prominently kill people with co-morbid ailments?  
    Yes and yes. Comorbidities significantly increase the risk of serious illness, which significantly increases the risk in the elderly. 

This coronavirus is far more virulent than influenza, which greatly impacts its spread and people becoming infected.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,352
    Options
    IU's VPN servers can't handle all the extra traffic from them encouraging telecommuting. Took the servers to their knees...

Abort Mission
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    Hoster05 said:
    Hoster05 said:

Yes and yes. Comorbidities significantly increase the risk of serious illness, which significantly increases the risk in the elderly. 

This coronavirus is far more virulent than influenza, which greatly impacts its spread and people becoming infected.  
    ....and the R0 transmission rate is much higher than the flu.  Fortunately not as high as measles, thankfully.

edited March 2020
    Options
    I seem to recall the president wanted various travel bans. They were all shot dead in the House. With modern air travel by the time you are aware of a plague it has spread at about 300 miles per hour. I have really expected some sort of plague much sooner.
    Btw my niece is currently on assignment in Europe.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,196
    edited March 2020
    Options
    The paper goods aisle at Walmart this morning. So bare they could paint the shelving. Folks that sat back and chastised others for stocking up can enjoy wiping their ass with leaves. Watch out for poison ivy 😉
  • Lit
    Options
    The paper goods aisle at Walmart this morning. So bare they could paint the shelving. Folks that sat back and chastised others for stocking up can enjoy wiping their ass with leaves. Watch out for poison ivy 😉
    They had some toilet paper last night but not much. The cherries are like 2 aisles down if you need any. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    All Iowa state university institutions implementing a minimum 2 week online classes post spring break next week.  Started prepping material today try and teach a heavily hands on class in an online fashion.  
    I hadn't made the connection that you taught at ISU.  I was in the Aerospace Engineering program from '78 to '80.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• DoubleEgger
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Lit said:
    They had some toilet paper last night but not much. The cherries are like 2 aisles down if you need any. 
    One of my phobias is running out of toilet paper. This is standard for our household of two pre virus. 

Also, I hate Walmart so I try to minimize the number of trips I have to make there. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,309
    Options
    My parents stocked up last week. They have a bundle of tp on the back porch so big it looks like a bale of cotton. Cases of various foods. They also listened when I told them to make sure all of their prescriptions were filled, the last place you want to be is waiting in line at a pharmacy.
  • Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    One of my phobias is running out of toilet paper. This is standard for our household of two pre virus. 

Also, I hate Walmart so I try to minimize the number of trips I have to make there. 

I had to get an inhaler and mask for my boy so I had to go to the pharmacy. Decided to get cherries and sugar while I was waiting. It’s a scary place to go right now for sure. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    We have 10 deaths in the UK now, all elderly and with other conditions. Testing is being stepped up. Cases are still <1000 but rising. My train ride to London today was nice, not many people about!
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    Lit said:
    YukonRon said:
    @Matt86m

Here is the Answer:

There is nothing anyone could have done to prevent this. Maybe they could have delayed it a little but this crap has been here since December it just took time to blow up. 
    You're correct that the spread of the disease was inevitable. But there were absolutely things we could have done to prepare for its arrival, chief among them getting ready for testing. As I said in an earlier post, our testing rate is the second-lowest in the world (France barely beats us). That is patently indefensible. It should outrage Republicans and Democrats alike. Without testing, people don't know they have it. They head to work; they sneeze on countertops; they spread the disease aggressively and obliviously. 
    Southern California
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,674
    Options
    I will echo get your prescriptions filled
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,674
    Options
    Also for all you preppers, don't forget dog food, cat food
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You are all missing the point. Its those d@mn woodchucks chucking your wood that is the cause of all this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    Lit said:
    YukonRon said:
    @Matt86m

Here is the Answer:

You're correct that the spread of the disease was inevitable. But there were absolutely things we could have done to prepare for its arrival, chief among them getting ready for testing. As I said in an earlier post, our testing rate is the second-lowest in the world (France barely beats us). That is patently indefensible. It should outrage Republicans and Democrats alike. Without testing, people don't know they have it. They head to work; they sneeze on countertops; they spread the disease aggressively and obliviously. 
    The politicians here quickly realised this is a political no win situation and put the experts at the front of the public information / decision making. Boris doesn't say much, he sits and lets the experts speak. Facts matter, opinions not so much.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,087
    Options
    Costco Online had these for $200. last month, we purchased one.  Nothing to do with Covad or TP worries, more so that FIL remodeled his bathroom last year and installed a Toto Toilet.  Better half has been aching for one ever since.  3+ weeks in with usage and I still feel just a little less manly when I push the remote button, but I do really like it.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    Catching up on the CBS Morning News right now.  The UT Jazz center was being interviewed after a game a few days ago, and poo-poo'd the idea of it, and as he was leaving he pointedly rubbed his hands all over the mics and the table.

Now, he's the first NBA player to be confirmed with the virus.  Jackass.  :anguished:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    edited March 2020
    Options
    bicktrav said:
    Just read that Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson tested positive for it.
    Tom Hanks survived on that deserted island for how long?  He'll survive this.  

Looking forward to the contrast between POTUS's oval office speech last night (like a drugged up hostage forced to read words given to him by his captors, and even then being WRONG on the 3 things he said his government will be doing) and what Joe Biden has to say about the crisis.  Time for OUR government to get back to solving problems instead of exacerbating them through naked self-interest, lies and incompetence.  

To quote another commenter, "There, I said it."
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Image result for jim cramer buy buy buy gif
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Lit said:

I’m not so worried about the run on TP. Maybe about some other staples. 

I grew up, as many people in many countries/cultures, washing my ass with water and a hand down there. So I’ve got a backup plan =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Lit
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lit said:

I grew up, as many people in many countries/cultures, washing my ass with water and a hand down there. So I’ve got a backup plan =)
    This hits close to home since all our integration people are Indian. I don’t care what they do in there but they leave their water cups in the stalls and there is always crap on the back part of the seat. It’s so gross. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lit said:

2 words:  Toto Washlet.  Right up there with the best purchases (investments!) I've ever made.  While I haven't calculated the precise ROI based on reduced TP consumption, I'm sure I'm well into the bonus at this point.

https://www.totousa.com/washlet-a100-elongated
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lit said:

2 words:  Toto Washlet.  Right up there with the best purchases (investments!) I've ever made.  While I haven't calculated the precise ROI based on reduced TP consumption, I'm sure I'm well into the bonus at this point.

https://www.totousa.com/washlet-a100-elongated
    Or go outside and use a garden gose. Lol. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    @Matt86m

Here is the Answer:

I hit you with “off topic” for the flag bingo. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX