Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Dinner.
    The Grove tonight. That’s a lot of Joy right there?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Don’t think I’ve tried the SG with ribs but like how your mind works. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,035
    Options
    A few of you might remember a few pages back where I was shocked to hear that my dad was buying a PS4. I thought I might need to go out and buy a lottery ticket. I didn't go out and buy a lottery ticket but I did win a near new PS4 tonight when I stopped at my parents house! Hahaha!!! My dad didn't even last a week with it. His words, "I found myself playing golf on it at 3pm when your mother was still at work. I don't need this.(He is semi retired) Bring it over to your house and hook it up there."

Did I call that or what! 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Botch said:
    Today I've been fascinated with the news out of China, and their response to the Coors Coronavirus, and their stated objective to build a large hospital, in six days!!!i  

This is nucking futz!  Civil Engineering/Infrastructure is not my specialty at all, but due to a good-ole-boy promotion structure where I work, I've been working MILCON (military construction) for the past four years, and have learned a lot.  Buildup of infrastructure, in China, no doubt is totally different due to legal, financial, regulatory, environmental, etc differences; but there is no way a hospital can be built, and made operational, in less than a week (save a MASH unit, which doesn't require 3 dozen backhoes....)  
    Hospital hack a thon.  Love it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    Today I've been fascinated with the news out of China, and their response to the Coors Coronavirus, and their stated objective to build a large hospital, in six days!!!i  

This is nucking futz!  Civil Engineering/Infrastructure is not my specialty at all, but due to a good-ole-boy promotion structure where I work, I've been working MILCON (military construction) for the past four years, and have learned a lot.  Buildup of infrastructure, in China, no doubt is totally different due to legal, financial, regulatory, environmental, etc differences; but there is no way a hospital can be built, and made operational, in less than a week (save a MASH unit, which doesn't require 3 dozen backhoes....)  
    That’s insane.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FarmingPhD
    Options
    Botch said:

It’s amazing here how fast a building with pre fabricated walls can go up, but that’s only after utilities, plumbing, proper foundation, and concrete go down.  Definitely different grade of hospital.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Wish I could be gnawing on one of those ribs with you @YukonRon
    Gotta say...wish it were so...

My very humble abode is always open if you ever wish to step down and slum it with us.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Dinner.
    The Grove tonight. That’s a lot of Joy right there?
    It was a good evening....we had the Beatles going all afternoon.

That is an endless catalogue of music.

2  Bottles of wine later....we were only 12% through.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    A few of you might remember a few pages back where I was shocked to hear that my dad was buying a PS4. I thought I might need to go out and buy a lottery ticket. I didn't go out and buy a lottery ticket but I did win a near new PS4 tonight when I stopped at my parents house! Hahaha!!! My dad didn't even last a week with it. His words, "I found myself playing golf on it at 3pm when your mother was still at work. I don't need this.(He is semi retired) Bring it over to your house and hook it up there."

Did I call that or what! 

Very cool story. Someday I’ll post what I do. I can tell that is a 2019 model. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

Love that American Wagyu at HEB. Didn’t have time to egg tonight, so made it on my gasser with ceramic sear burner. Served with board sauce and classy fries with jalapeño chips. And a Mexican martini. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Don’t think I’ve tried the SG with ribs but like how your mind works. 
    My Beautiful Wife chose Scott Chard...seriously great call if you are into chards.

My debate was Rosé which is absolutely perfect for Q, or go with a Rutherford Cab.

Cab won. I would have done this bottle with oatmeal.  I have 10 racks of ribs due to a BOGO buy. I can always try to do the Rosé, on the next one.

Cabs are my wheelhouse. I define wine pairing loser.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,312
    Options
    Botch said:

Civil Engineering and Construction was my specialty. Throwing men and money at a project can only speed it up just so much. Concrete takes 28 days to properly cure and a concrete foundation would be pretty much a requirement. But first you would have to run utilities to it. With precast beams, piling, and structural panels maybe 6 months to a year. Again assuming unlimited funds and no unexpected geotechnical issues. 

All assuming that you don’t want to imitate the Hard Rock in New Orleans. They still can’t safely retrieve two of the bodies from that new pile of rubble and steel.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Looks like they did one in 7 days when there was a SARS outbreak. 7 days with 7000 workers. 1000 beds and within two months they treated 15% of the SARS patients. 
     That is impressive 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I think trying to produce an attenuated vaccine quickly would be more beneficial.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,355
    Options
    Botch said:

They've done it before:
    "Images on state television showed a flurry of activity at the muddy building site with dozens of diggers painted in multiple colors hard at work preparing the ground, as a stream of trucks ferried in materials and equipment.

The hospital aims to copy the experience of Beijing in 2003, when the city battled Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). As many as 774 people died globally in the SARS epidemic, which reached nearly 30 countries.

At the time, Beijing built the Xiaotangshan hospital in its northern suburbs in just a week. Within two months, it treated one-seventh of all the country’s SARS patients, the Changjiang Daily said."

“It created a miracle in the history of medical science,” the paper added.

The Beijing hospital, built by 7,000 workers, was originally designed only to take people who were in recovery from SARS to relieve pressure on other hospitals."

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like the same propaganda like we get daily from Twitter from that spray-tan guy.
    Options
    But what do I know.
    Options
    Trump was Orange AF at the Walk for Life.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I think trying to produce an attenuated vaccine quickly would be more beneficial.
    On the radio yesterday morning here, they are set up for this. First pass vaccine is in the lab now. Then they have to test, refine, test some more ....... Summer at a minimum before it's useable.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,438
    Options
    Ladder stand, 30°. Flooded woods. Guarding acorns for the last weekend of the season
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,496
    Options
    Thanks for the additional info, guys; I've learned some things and will be watching this out of curiosity.  

And something else interesting: 40 people have died from this virus so far, and 774 people died from SARS worldwide per @HeavyG above.  
    In the 2018-2019 flu season, 80,000 died from regular flu, in the US alone.  And yet, getting a flu shot is just a "recommendation".   :|  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Cab won. I would have done this bottle with oatmeal.  I have 10 racks of ribs due to a BOGO buy. I can always try to do the Rosé, on the next one.

Cabs are my wheelhouse. I define wine pairing loser.
    I have to say I agree 100%. I don't care much for white wine, and I only drink Champagne to be sociable (except for the Roederer Cristal we had for our anniversary!). Cabs are by far my favorite. I will pair Cab with anything I like to eat, to heck with the 'rules'.

I have been broadening my  tastes lately with all the wineries we have been visiting. I have become a fan of Malbec (Californian, haven't had much experience with South American wines), and some Petite Sirahs, Pinots, and Syrahs can be pretty good. But I prefer Cabs or the Bordeaux blends.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Argentinian Malbecs are good. Not that I'm much of a wine snob.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    South American wine is generally a great value. I’m in the Cab/ Bordeaux blend group as well. I liken the South American stuff to Sonoma wines. The soil must be similar (idk). I prefer the Napa wines as a general rule but there are great wines all over the world worth drinking. I don’t drink hardly any wine these days compared to ten years ago but I am exploring some Spanish and Italian reds casually at the moment. Drink what you like is what I say. Cheers!