Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Mattress Replacement Time OT

Options

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    So far the best advice has been to let My Beautiful Wife select the bed. I can sleep on a rock or in a hole in the ground or on an airport floor.

It was her that brought it to my attention that the mattress needs replacing. She knows the power of the forum and suggested I post here to find out what the really smart people have found that works for them.

We will be mattress shopping soon. Thank you for all of the input. It has helped a ton.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    So Bridget just told me she hates our sleep number bed that we've had for like 8 years.  I'm fine with it, but I loved our old bed, now in the spare bedroom.

I probably spent 14 hours modifying a sleigh bedframe to hold the sleep number articulating frame, having to account for the structural connections, clearance for moving parts and all that. 

Oh well.

She's always right.
    At least you got eight years; I got eight days...
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    So far the best advice has been to let My Beautiful Wife select the bed. I can sleep on a rock or in a hole in the ground or on an airport floor.

It was her that brought it to my attention that the mattress needs replacing. She knows the power of the forum and suggested I post here to find out what the really smart people have found that works for them.

We will be mattress shopping soon. Thank you for all of the input. It has helped a ton.
    Beauty of the Sleep Number is she gets want she wants, and you get what you want. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ron....while she is lookin....you better be lookin at the couches. Better chance you will need it one day (night).
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I know a guy that paid a crapton for a natural latex mattress, he swears by it and swears at it.  Heavy and tough to move but he loves it.
  • Legume
    Options
    Because it looks like you need even more options.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    My options are these; "Yes" and "Yes dear", whenever my opinion is required.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    When you wife is in bed, make a big show of rooting around under where she sleeps.  Then pull out a pea that you "discovered" and declare the problem fixed, and future sleep guaranteed. 
    Options
    The similarity to your idea and the exact situation I find myself in are freakishly similar.....if you catch my drift.

Spoiled......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • littlerascal56
    Options

A survey of 3,000 Americans posted on a mattress review site found about 31% of respondents would like a “sleep divorce” in their relationship. That’s consistent with a National Sleep Foundation survey that reported almost 1 in 4 American couples sleep in separate bedrooms or beds.

"If you're not taking care of your sleep, you are hurting your marriage," Dr. Mehmet Oz warned on Thursday.

• YukonRon
    Options

A survey of 3,000 Americans posted on a mattress review site found about 31% of respondents would like a “sleep divorce” in their relationship. That’s consistent with a National Sleep Foundation survey that reported almost 1 in 4 American couples sleep in separate bedrooms or beds.

"If you're not taking care of your sleep, you are hurting your marriage," Dr. Mehmet Oz warned on Thursday.

Wow.  

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    It worked for Lucy & Ricky.

And for Ralphie’s parents.

Flint, Michigan
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited January 2020
    Options
    We got a new King late last yr - I did tons of online research and got nowhere.  Family member works at PARACHUTE and ended up buying from them for lots of reasons. We. Love. This. Bed.

https://www.parachutehome.com/products/mattress?opt-size=queen
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    I've been using beauty rest black mattresses for quite a while. Originally bought a king for the master bedroom then when My wife was working in another state, I bought a queen for the apartment. When we moved into the 3BR house, we bought a full for the third bedroom.

Guests like them so much they have gone out and bought them for their own houses.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    Bad experience ( so far ) with Ashley Furniture....built in pillow top failed , 3 years in on a 10 year warranty been getting nothing but the runaround ...they sent a " tech" out today who basically did everything to deny the claim

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    Options
    We just ordered a mattress this week after talking to several people that have various types. We have the molecule II.

Hope it meets the needs of My Beautiful Wife.

Came in a box, rolled, vacuum sealed, with diminished air. Have to let it set for 24 hours to re absorb air, and shape out. after unsealing the vacuum packaging, you could feel the air rushing by as the vacuum absorbed it. Kind of cool.

Will advise on the comfort level soon.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Bad experience ( so far ) with Ashley Furniture....built in pillow top failed , 3 years in on a 10 year warranty been getting nothing but the runaround ...they sent a " tech" out today who basically did everything to deny the claim

Post that to their FB page.
  • cookingnc
    Options
    I bought a Nectar mattress last year and love it.  Risk free 365 day trial period.  
    LBGE, 22" Webber Kettle - Concord, NC
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    lkapigian said:

I would sleep on it, then decide.   Cooler heads prevail.

Options
    Legume said:
    lkapigian said:

True, give it another 3 years.  A lot can change in 3 years.
  • lkapigian
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Legume said:
    lkapigian said:

I have been, wasn't to bad @ first .......and it was not like Stockholm Syndrome, I did not start loving it  =)

All the bedding was off for the "tech" ......had to take pictures of the foundation top and bottom,look for stains had to measure the "Hump" as anything 3" or under will not be covered and is considered "normal" ............

dracula dead and loving it GIF
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Can you take a mattress back to Costco after 8 years for a full refund? Asking for a friend. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Can you take a mattress back to Costco after 8 years for a full refund? Asking for a friend. 
    Only if it’s been soiled no more than 9 times. 
  • butt_juice
    butt_juice Posts: 129
    Options
    The wife and I bought from Denver Mattress a few weeks ago. Athletes Choice memory foam in king size. $1100, 15 year warranty. I built the platform. It has storage space all around and underneath the mattress. 
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • lkapigian
    Options
    The wife and I bought from Denver Mattress a few weeks ago. Athletes Choice memory foam in king size. $1100, 15 year warranty. I built the platform. It has storage space all around and underneath the mattress. 
    Pretty cool, just curious, I found in my research the mattress warranty is no good unless on a approved factory Foundation and frame...probably not an issue but I would have been SOL it's one of the many things they checked
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • butt_juice
    butt_juice Posts: 129
    Options
    @lkapigian you're probably not too far off base with that research...Many companies do have plenty of hoops to jump through for warranties!

I told the sales rep that I would be building my own base, he didn't mention anything about that voiding a warranty, but he may not know the ins-and-outs of that. 
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    @lkapigian you're probably not too far off base with that research...Many companies do have plenty of hoops to jump through for warranties!

I told the sales rep that I would be building my own base, he didn't mention anything about that voiding a warranty, but he may not know the ins-and-outs of that. 
    I used to work for a sister company of Denver mattress.  You should be fine, platform beds typically fall in an approved base for them as long as there is sufficient support.  What @ikapigian is probably experiencing is with the box spring foundations.  They don’t like people reusing old ones on a new mattress.  

Also @ikapigian Ashley Homestores are franchise owned, a quick call to the corporate HQ would probably get this solved.  Just like egg dealers Ashley stores can be great or horrible. 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    U_tarded said:

I used to work for a sister company of Denver mattress.  You should be fine, platform beds typically fall in an approved base for them as long as there is sufficient support.  What @ikapigian is probably experiencing is with the box spring foundations.  They don’t like people reusing old ones on a new mattress.  

Also @ikapigian Ashley Homestores are franchise owned, a quick call to the corporate HQ would probably get this solved.  Just like egg dealers Ashley stores can be great or horrible. 
    Thanks @u_tarded I may do that if needed....when the "Tech"left he said that it should be an exchange no problem, but will see. 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian