Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can’t Make This Up

Yes sirree - there will be a Texas Testicle Festival in Fredericksburg, TX this weekend. 
https://www.wideopeneats.com/texas-testicle-festival/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=agora&utm_term=woefeed&utm_campaign=woefeed

I’ve eaten a bunch of mountain oysters over the years and like them. But an entire festival seems a stretch. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    And thus starts the Texas Running of the Bulls.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Nope. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Just don’t try raw mountain oysters. It’s a good way to get dragged to death. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    And thus starts the Texas Running of the Balls.
    FIFY

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    i did sheep testicles once.  they had the consistency of a mushy chicken mcnugget and none of the flavor.  it's documented on here, somewhere...
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Didn’t @Mickey go and report on this a couple of years ago?  Somewhere smaller than Fredericksburg though.
  • Legume
    I guess left and right festivals makes sense.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Darn, I am going to miss it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @Village Idiot and I in Castell at the Testicle Festival. These shots in the above post. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    They were fine. Would not try unless fried. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    Mickey said:
    They were fine. Would not try unless fried. 
    The testicles or you?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie said:
    Just don’t try raw mountain oysters. It’s a good way to get dragged to death. 
    :lol:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Mickey said:
    @Village Idiot and I in Castell at the Testicle Festival. These shots in the above post. 

That's nuts.
    My college roommate brought a bag back from Minnesota, fried them up, and they weren't bad (reminded me of breaded mushrooms)
    A year later he brought back another bag, but still fresh off the mammal, not fully skinned/cleaned.  I walked to the local McD's and had a cheeseburger.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Botch said:
    My college roommate brought a bag back from Minnesota, fried them up, and they weren't bad (reminded me of breaded mushrooms)
    A year later he brought back another bag, but still fresh off the mammal, not fully skinned/cleaned.  I walked to the local McD's and had a cheeseburger.  
    Is it possible you were tanked the first year?
  • I had never heard of a testicle festival in Minnesota, but a friend from North Dakota was proud of the one held somewhere out there. He even gave me a "Lee's Testicle Festival" t-shirt, which unfortunately has shrunk over the years (well, let's just say it no longer fits and leave it at that).
    Stillwater, MN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited January 2020
    If you didn’t know they were nads, you would think they were just a weird cutlet of chicken fried steak. If you did know, you would really prefer chicken fried steak. 

if you were at a party and didn’t know, you would pop them like meaty tic tacs

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    “Meaty tic tacs”

yet another phrase from this forum that I’ve never heard before and don’t expect to hear again.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Botch said:
    Is it LIKELY you were tanked the first year?
    FTFY.   =)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    "Hey, how did they get the gravy *inside* the meatball?"
    Botch said:
    Mountain oysters and beef cheeks both are very un-appetizing before they are prepared. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44

Reminds me of the visitor to Mexico who went to a bull fight and afterwards went out to eat at a restaurant nearby.  Ask waiter what was good on menue and he told him the cajones were good.  He had them and thought they were really good.

Next day went back to bullfights and decided to try them again for supper.  Had them and again good but he ask waiter about the ones yesterday were larger and had a slightly different flavor.  "What is the difference in yesterday's and today's?" he ask.  Waiter said" Senior, sometimes the bull he does not always win"

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I totally expect @JohnInCarolina to unveil a testicle pie at BB2020 using the Roccbox.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    ColtsFan said:
    I totally expect @JohnInCarolina to unveil a testicle pie at BB2020 using the Roccbox.
    Just be cautious if @JohnInCarolina goes to the petting zoo prior to making pizzas. 

Just sayin'. Things get dicey when he runs out of chicken.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I hope the Texas Testicle Ticklers take the top prize.