Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Joan Gaedke

Options
My heart is so sad. I just got a note from Joan Gaedke's son, Tobin, that Joan passed away last night. She went peacefully and was surrounded by her family. She and Lloyd will be together again and telling heaven all about the Big Green Egg. Maybe some of those clouds in the sky are really "smoke" The Egghead world has truly lost a wonderful friend. Some of you may know her as Austin Egghead and Lloyd as Taste Tester. Arrangement are pending.
Judy
Covington, Louisiana USA

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    So sad. Two of the finest people I have ever met.
    Rest in peace my friends.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Very sad news! I didn't know she was ill, or that Lloyd had passed. Joan and I  had written each other a number of times, but not recently. She had been rather quiet here - I just figured it was part of the normal cycle of things. Very sorry to hear this. She was one of the good ones!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh man. I am so sorry to hear this. Agree with Hotch- great folks right there. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Peace be with the family,so sorry to hear
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Here they are at our 2013 GA Mountain Eggfest.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I never had a pleasure in meeting her but she was always top notch on the forum. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,267
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My condolences. Sounds like a quality person. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This is truly saddening. Joan was a stellar person and egghead. Had the pleasure of cooking at a few eggfests,  and she always had a smile and good cheer as she was slinging egged goodies. 

You'll be missed.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That's sad.  Met her at Salado, great person, great cook.  She will be sorely missed.
    Options
    So sorry to hear this. Rest In Peace Joan.
    canuckland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You never want to open the forum to news such as this. You know the hurt in people's lives will be deep in her absence. 

She will be missed. May she rest in peace, and may her loved ones make it through this most difficult of times.

The world becomes a much less wonderful place when our community loses people like Joan.

Our best.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So very sorry. Two of the good guys. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Will always remember the good times!

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Very sad indeed.  I feel privileged to have met her at Salado on a couple of occasions.  She was a remarkably gracious person and will be missed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sad news... RIP
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95