Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Mattress Replacement Time OT

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
What is the best out there? What do you have?

I have the original princess that would complain if a flat piece of cellophane was under 50 mattresses.

Help me get her quality sleep.

Thank you

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’m a sleep number guy. You pay, but what is a great nights sleep worth? @ $8500 for a really nice adjustable king. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Everybody is different. I like the Caspar that I have had for several months. But I like it firm, it goes on wood slats rather than box springs. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    We have a tempurpedic.  It’s alright, good luck I say stay away from the online brands, I think there is a Denver Mattress Company in your area (Clarksville) I used to work for a sister company of theirs.  They have their own brand, purple, tempurpedic, stearns and foster, Simmons, sealy.  They have nice showrooms you can try them out and a lenient satisfaction/return policy.  They will fit you to a pillow and all that good stuff. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    We bought a Brooklyn Aurora Hybrid on Black Friday. We have loved it so far. I get hot very easily when sleeping and haven't had that issue with this bed. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sleep Number after buying three other mattresses including Tempurpedic. I’m glad that expensive nightmare is over. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Wouldn’t you be better off looking for a comfortable couch?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I’m also in the sleep number camp, mines about 6yrs old now so there’s newer stuff. Mine has a 5inch memory foam topper, is super nice. My bride and I do have different sleep numbers and mine has changed during my weight loss it’s very much worth the $ 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Well now, we have been very pleased with our temperpedic adjustable... but now you have me sniffing around a sleep number.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    will never understand the mattress thing. my 20 year old is just as comfortable as the 40 something year old.  the beach house mattresses are way older than those 2.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Personally @fishlessman I sleep on my side and my shoulder was killing me, which led to chest pain, weird I know. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I've slept on Tempurpedic and Sleep Numbers.... still own the Tempurpedic. Both were nice and sleep better than a traditional mattress IMO. 

But if I can raise my pinky in the air a sec - the Tempur exudes quality. The Sleep Number not so much. It's basically a glorified pool float and arrives in this little box. It just didn't look like like the quality-to-price ratio added up in my mind.

Whatever you get, an adjustable base is a must. Makes reading (or whatever) so much more comfortable. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited January 2020
    Options
    One piece of advice from my experience of blowing a lot of money on mattresses the wifey didn’t like; remember that the store display mattresses are worn out. They are often a lot softer than the new one you’ll receive. 
  • fishlessman
    edited January 2020
    Options

Personally @fishlessman I sleep on my side and my shoulder was killing me, which led to chest pain, weird I know. 

as you get older you need to stay off the shoulder, especially if the arm is outstretched. screws up motion in the cuff and casting a flyrod becomes impossible. i sleep on the left but never on the right. used to fish with a bunch of older doctors
    fukahwee maine

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    And Tempurs sleep very hot. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I should add... hanky panky is a lot more awkward on a Tempurpedic. I'll spare you the details, but your knees sink into it more which can throw your balance off. It's like wrestling in quick sand. 
     Yeah but the adjustable height is handy..
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options

as you get older you need to stay off the shoulder, especially if the arm is outstretched. screws up motion in the cuff and casting a flyrod becomes impossible. i sleep on the left but never on the right. used to fish with a bunch of older doctors

I remember growing up in Alaska, tourists would show up with their fly rigs and chest waders just like a River runs through it. 
      My brother and I would pull up on our bicycles with a cheap fishing pole, a bobber, eggs and just slay trout.  We could’ve ran a guide service
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Also, stay away from Mattress Firm like the Plague. We wanted to swap a mattress before the 90 day trial period expired. They said no, we had to wait the full 90 days. Went back on Day 91 and they said too bad, your trial period expired yesterday. Rather than add an misdemeanor assault charge (or perhaps felony, I was feeling frisky) to my resumé, I left and chalked it up as a $5k mistake. Never ever trust the clowns at Mattress Firm. 
  • fishlessman
    Options

I remember growing up in Alaska, tourists would show up with their fly rigs and chest waders just like a River runs through it. 
      My brother and I would pull up on our bicycles with a cheap fishing pole, a bobber, eggs and just slay trout.  We could’ve ran a guide service

most fly fishers cant catch fish but the 1 percent that does slays them. thats been my experience with the doctors. you can try and teach them but all they want to know is what fly you are using. i like to just say, this is my last one, break it off the line and just give it to them. theres these elitists out there that see you catching with the wrong style fly and start yelling at you that you are fishing it wrong as well, lots of rules =)
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    Options
    And Tempurs sleep very hot. 

They used to, but that's been fixed for a while now. Our Tempur-Breeze (or wathever it's called sleeps cooler than a traditional mattress. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I should add... hanky panky is a lot more awkward on a Tempurpedic. I'll spare you the details, but your knees sink into it more which can throw your balance off. It's like wrestling in quick sand. 

I bought a wedge pillow. I highly recommend them for any type of mattress  =)
  • JonWesson
    JonWesson Posts: 161
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

for those of us that are blessed angle of attack is irrelevant
    large small and mini all in legal proceedings but i can use them for now no more, all gone                                                                                                                        usa somewhere on the road
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    OH MAN!  I paid a bunch of money for what was supposed to be a really good king size mattress.  suffered for a few years and wife finally said enough is enough.  our shoulders were in pain.

walking through costco, we saw their $600 king size foam mattress.  I figured if it's terrible I could return it.

it is the best nights sleep i've ever had.  i routinely sleep through the night now, no waking up.  the top is soft enough that you feel cushioned, but not so soft that you can't roll over.  

only problem is it was heavy as heck, and so was my king mattress.  delivery, set up, and removal are a PITA that I would have paid to avoid.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    If you have access to an original mattress factory, pay them a visit. If you don't like the standard offerings they can custom make to your specs. And always opt for a 2 sided mattress that you can flip. Anything less is a waste of money. All the sales people that dispute that fact, lie. Good luck! 

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• SonVolt
    edited January 2020
    Options
    JonWesson said:
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

for those of us that are blessed angle of attack is irrelevant

Must be nice. Unfortunately, I was blessed me with a big girthy brain instead. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The best out there in my opinion is the top of the line Purple mattress. It's about $12k but better sleep has never been had.  I even bought the butt pillow for my office chair at work. And as ridiculous as it is. It makes long days shorter.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:

Harry, I thought you moved to Venezuela?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    OH MAN!  I paid a bunch of money for what was supposed to be a really good king size mattress.  suffered for a few years and wife finally said enough is enough.  our shoulders were in pain.

walking through costco, we saw their $600 king size foam mattress.  I figured if it's terrible I could return it.

it is the best nights sleep i've ever had.  i routinely sleep through the night now, no waking up.  the top is soft enough that you feel cushioned, but not so soft that you can't roll over.  

only problem is it was heavy as heck, and so was my king mattress.  delivery, set up, and removal are a PITA that I would have paid to avoid.
    Not sure how long you have had that mattress but the reason I'm following this thread is to get rid of mine asap. We loved it when we first got it but we both noticed it becoming uncomfortable around the same time. I've had it about a year now and it's totally worn out. you can clearly feel the difference in the firmness at the bottom (where our feet are) as opposed to where our body weight has been. We flipped it around and it was like night and day.  We still both feel like we have been in a car wreck every morning. Cannot get rid of it fast enough.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    blind99 said:

Not sure how long you have had that mattress but the reason I'm following this thread is to get rid of mine asap. We loved it when we first got it but we both noticed it becoming uncomfortable around the same time. I've had it about a year now and it's totally worn out. you can clearly feel the difference in the firmness at the bottom (where our feet are) as opposed to where our body weight has been. We flipped it around and it was like night and day.  We still both feel like we have been in a car wreck every morning. Cannot get rid of it fast enough.
    I'm in the same boat.

Bought a King 14"  firm memory foam from Overstock 3 years ago. It's totally broken down now. It was fantastic for the first year or two. Hey, it was $500 at the time so I can't really complain.

We've been looking at Sleep Number. Following this one tightly.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    oh nuts.  had it a few months.  i'll be ticked if it dies soon!  i've never had a mattress last more than 3 year or so, so at $600 bucks i'd replace it every few if needed.  but if it wears out that fast, not sure even a costco return would be worth it, cuz the thing is so heavy and bulky.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle