Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited January 2020
    Options
    wardo said:
    wardo said:
    Uhhhh... yes.... for us Canucks.....

JFC, you poor bastards!  Does camelcamelcamel.com work for you ?
    Yeah, we tend to get royally screwed. Our prices go up when the USD gains, but conversely, never fall when the CAD makes some gains - even when they’re big. Oh well, at least we’re Trump-free, which is worth the price of admission. 😉
    But if you had a “Trump” you too could have a stock market (Dow-28868 today) at record levels, and the booming economy that accompanies it. We are really getting spoiled here in the US.

This is unfortunately misleading and is not comparing apples to apples. 

Regardless, key economic indicators continue to remain incredibly strong and the last 11 years in the stock market have been record setting (in the positive)!  Who cares about politics when we've got that👍

Really, how so?  It's growth.  If you put a dollar in the DOW that's what it's worth as a function of days.  I think you mean total market value where it that obviously grows with time, the total dollar increase is higher in subsequent administration, possibly with the exception of Bush, but that's not in this window.

1.  Who flagged this!  I would assume flagging items is for offensive things? 

2.  Obama presided over the recovery from the Great Recession.  Through out history, the years immediately following a correction, downturn, recession etc, tend to be very good years.  Meaning when things turn around for the better, the positive gains experienced typically occur during the early stages of that recovery.
    Quite simply, Obama benefitted from the steep recovery.  Trump as he entered office had a completely different economic backdrop.  Not long into his administration we set the record for the longest bull market in history.  Comparing that to what Obama had as he came into office, they are wildly different starting points.  That's my point.  You can't compare them because of the wildly different economies (and the corresponding benefits and headwinds) they came into office with. 
    Nola is going to bust you for being “too political” with your post, just like he did me!
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    edited January 2020
    Options
    wardo said:
    wardo said:

Yeah, we tend to get royally screwed. Our prices go up when the USD gains, but conversely, never fall when the CAD makes some gains - even when they’re big. Oh well, at least we’re Trump-free, which is worth the price of admission. 😉
    But if you had a “Trump” you too could have a stock market (Dow-28868 today) at record levels, and the booming economy that accompanies it. We are really getting spoiled here in the US.

Regardless, key economic indicators continue to remain incredibly strong and the last 11 years in the stock market have been record setting (in the positive)!  Who cares about politics when we've got that👍

Really, how so?  It's growth.  If you put a dollar in the DOW that's what it's worth as a function of days.  I think you mean total market value where it that obviously grows with time, the total dollar increase is higher in subsequent administration, possibly with the exception of Bush, but that's not in this window.

2.  Obama presided over the recovery from the Great Recession.  Through out history, the years immediately following a correction, downturn, recession etc, tend to be very good years.  Meaning when things turn around for the better, the positive gains experienced typically occur during the early stages of that recovery.
    Quite simply, Obama benefitted from the steep recovery.  Trump as he entered office had a completely different economic backdrop.  Not long into his administration we set the record for the longest bull market in history.  Comparing that to what Obama had as he came into office, they are wildly different starting points.  That's my point.  You can't compare them because of the wildly different economies (and the corresponding benefits and headwinds) they came into office with. 
    Nola is going to bust you for being “too political” with your post! 

I think I left the nonsense of politics out of it.  It's easy to inject them and I think I did a good job of keeping to the economic (which is the most relevant) subject only.

But this is the internet.  Maybe it'll still blow up.  I'd hope not, especially on a BGE forum lol.

And my initial post got flagged lol. 
    NC - LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    wardo said:
    wardo said:
    wardo said:

Nola is going to bust you for being “too political” with your post! 

I think I left the nonsense of politics out of it.  It's easy to inject them and I think I did a good job of keeping to the economic (which is the most relevant) subject only.

But this is the internet.  Maybe it'll still blow up.  I'd hope not, especially on a BGE forum lol.
    This is an excellent conversation starter for a Friday evening bourbon and chat session......on any other thread than this one.

Kind of an unwritten rule, but we would like to see this posted thread make it through the life of the Forum.

We have all crossed the lines at least once, no biggie. 

Really it can get very interesting how the Friday Night conversations can go.....or it used to be like that.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • wardo
    Options
    Understood.  I would hope nothing I have posted is challenging or confrontational.  If that's not the case then I would appreciate direction on what the offending material is so I can avoid the same mistake in the future.

So sorry for any potential inconvenience here y'all.
    NC - LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    wardo said:
    Understood.  I would hope nothing I have posted is challenging or confrontational.  If that's not the case then I would appreciate direction on what the offending material is so I can avoid the same mistake in the future.

So sorry for any potential inconvenience here y'all.
    No biggie. If you do not know.....you do not know.

I have found nothing you have posted offensive, but we just take extra care of this one.

Seriously there really used to be some incredible debates, on everthing from how to open a bag of lump to political opinions.

Add bourbon......then stir....no shaking, please.

Have fun and keep posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,503
    Options
    wardo said:
     For those of y'all who have 2 eggs, do the smaller eggs end up saving lump on the smaller cooks?
    Five or so years ago, I bought a Small kinda on a whim, and it does save on lump, when I'm cooking a single breast/thigh/couple of sausages.  
    I eventually did a cost/benefit analysis (on a napkin) and the Small finally paid for itself, when I turn 168.  
    FWIW.    

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,320
    Options
    I am taking the opposite approach sometime this year. I have only had a medium for ten years. It’s a hell of a cooker and efficient at using lump. But... it has few accessories available in comparison and a few times I have had problems with a turkey or long slab of ribs. Thus before 2020 is out I will upgrade to a large. I still see no need for an XL. The medium might be relocated to my parents house. As Dad will turn 90 September first, I spend more and more time there running them around. Peoples needs vary.
  • wardo
    Options
    Botch said:
    wardo said:
     For those of y'all who have 2 eggs, do the smaller eggs end up saving lump on the smaller cooks?
    Five or so years ago, I bought a Small kinda on a whim, and it does save on lump, when I'm cooking a single breast/thigh/couple of sausages.  
    I eventually did a cost/benefit analysis (on a napkin) and the Small finally paid for itself, when I turn 168.  
    FWIW.    

That break even analysis is what I'm concerned about lol.  In all seriousness, is it quicker than cooking on a larger egg or maybe a better question; what makes it better for those cooks over a large bge?

@Gulfcoastguy I think you have the right idea on things.  I know the large I have is peanuts compared to the XL or XXL can cook, but I've been very happy with what a large egg can do!

Thanks y'all
    NC - LBGE
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,356
    Options
    wardo said:
    Botch said:
    wardo said:
    FWIW.    

That break even analysis is what I'm concerned about lol.  In all seriousness, is it quicker than cooking on a larger egg or maybe a better question; what makes it better for those cooks over a large bge?

@Gulfcoastguy I think you have the right idea on things.  I know the large I have is peanuts compared to the XL or XXL can cook, but I've been very happy with what a large egg can do!

Thanks y'all
    The XL is probably more efficient than the large, at least it sure seems that way. You can always use more than one egg. The medium is a heck of a size. The only question is can I convince SWMBO that I need another BGE 😎
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    My wife and daughter are subjecting me to High School Musical The Musical The Series.  Can somebody come up here and create a disturbance on our street that I have to deal with?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Acn said:
    My wife and daughter are subjecting me to High School Musical The Musical The Series.  Can somebody come up here and create a disturbance on our street that I have to deal with?
    I’m bored as hell, but don’t think the travel time would work out. 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Did some Dino bones for dinner - might be my last in a while. It’s simple, cooks faster than brisket, same basic taste - but damñ it is too greasy. The fat was rendered fine but I feel like I’ve got more zits than a teenager and need a salad. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    NCSmoky said:

I always loved Miami Vice. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @NCSmoky is that thing heated?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Hey.....it’s a Friday night.  Let’s discuss the drone bombing on the “bad guys” early this morning in Iran.  Love the fact that we are finally growing some “balls” with this administration. Time to step up to the plate for the USA!

And the 2 butts on the XL are ready to pull at 204 F.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Absolutely this seems like safe place to do that
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hey.....it’s a Friday night.  Let’s discuss the drone bombing on the “bad guys” early this morning in Iran.  Love the fact that we are finally growing some “balls” with this administration. Time to step up to the plate for the USA!
    Great.  Start a thread for that.
    Options

Having been duly and recently educated, I would concur.  However is this type of topic of discussion sought on this forum?  Meaning if it'll get shut down very quickly, wouldn't it be better to just avoid altogether? Considering its a bbq forum I suppose there's no wrong answer on this one.

I gotta say that @u_tarded have a HECK of a steak going!
    NC - LBGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    wardo said:

Having been duly and recently educated, I would concur.  However is this type of topic of discussion sought on this forum?  Meaning if it'll get shut down very quickly, wouldn't it be better to just avoid altogether? Considering its a bbq forum I suppose there's no wrong answer on this one.

It’s hit or miss.  It’ll get plenty of response and may or may not be shut down quickly.  Either way, no harm and usually entertaining 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    wardo said:

The more outlandish and political the thread, the longer it stays. Lump threads get bombed first. 

Seriously though, we dont want this thread or the what are you buying one to get shut down, that's why we say to keep the politics out. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• wardo
    Options
    Makes sense.  Just pulled my lasagna off the egg and now watching inception until the lil one wakes up for a diaper in a few!
    NC - LBGE
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Do share the deets 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Do share the deets 
    Quang Tran's fried chicken - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqwW46eMLXs

I think he has more fried chicken videos than any other YouTuber.  Dude loves his chicken as much as he likes to smack loudly when eating it.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Daydreaming about scuba diving the Galapagos islands .
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,871
    Options

Rejoice the FA cup has arrived, as no-one is saying over here.  

Before that an honourable mention for @Eoin who must still be delirious after Stoke smashed 5 past the Terriers last time out. 

Spread over the next few days is the 3rd round fo the FA Cup - powered by nostalgia rather than relevance.  Hot on the heels of a ridiculous Christmas schedule it’s the last thing most PL teams need.  Injury affected and exhausted PL squads will be rotated.  

Pity the fool that has paid out for tickets to see their heroes in the hope of a routine drubbing of minor opponents, during their sole annual pilgrimage to the crucible of overwhelming excitement of yesteryear. 

Hello! That’ll be me, then.   

I’ll take my boots as perhaps my dreams will come true as I bestride the Selhurst turf and my peers finally relish the sight of my rippling thighs as I take command of the Palace midfield.  Hopefully they have some ‘loose fit’ shirts as no-one needs to see me in ‘sports-fit’.

I am taking No 2 child and have rebranded the trip as ‘a day out and a few beers’.  

Amongst the matches there’s a Merseyside derby which could be fun now the Toffees have got their act together.  

Most notable status differential is AFC Fylde’s trip to Premier League Sheffield United - separated by 84 places in the league ladder.  

There’s a welcome appearance too from Hartlepool - the monkey hangers, from the ‘charming seaside village’ famous for its impromptu trial and execution of a monkey on suspicion of being French.   

Following the simian theme I will possibly capture a sighting of America’s finest recent export, Wayne Rooney - who could well play for Derby County against Palace.  His rather incongruous reappearance in English football is innovative in that the club have recently could not afford to pay their existing players, but he is on around £50k per week.

Finally, every match will start one minute later than usual to allow for a video about mental health & wellbeing, aimed at men,  to be shown.  There has been a significant increase in awareness campaigns and provision for people affected recently, with several players giving honest accounts of their health and emotional struggles.  Alongside a general movement to encourage men, specifically, to open up about difficulties they are dealing with - the game is coming to terms with lifelong injuries and adverse legacies it has left on many players.

To see more about the ‘Heads Up’ campaign, go here :  http://www.thefa.com/about-football-association/heads-up 

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    DuckDogDr said:
    Daydreaming about scuba diving the Galapagos islands .
    That would be an awesome experience. I want to do the same. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.