Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Hockey Night in Canada

The Maple Leafs are coming to Detroit this Saturday to play my Red Wings.  I am so excited the NHL season is underway!  It’s a little sad because I miss the smack talk with Little Steven.  Anyway, HNIC is coming and that makes it awesome!  Any HNIC fans here?  Growing up in metro Detroit, we enjoyed visiting Canada and all the good things broadcasted from there.  CKLW was an awesome radio station and Hockey Night in Canada is always great!  And of course, there’s Grapes.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• keener75
    keener75 Posts: 392
    I love Don Cherry! A lot of people are jumping on the Don Cherry Hate Train recently but I still find him very entertaining. Ron McLean seems to be a very patient man. Should be good matchup on Saturday. Both teams have had a decent first few games but on paper the Buds should come out on top. They are absolutely stacked this year! Their powerplay is lethal! I mean Marner, Tavares, Mathews, Nylander and Reilly or Barrie on the point! If the Wings can stay out of the box they could have a chance. Mantha has a good start this year and that Hronek kid looks like the real deal. I'm looking forward to an entertaining game!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • I agree the game should be pretty good.  The Leafs are hot and my Wings ain’t bad either.

I remember in the mid 80’s there were two reasons to watch the Red Wings.  Stevie Yzerman was tearing it up and Bob Probert was fighting all comers.  Don Cherry on Coaches Corner said Stevie Y was doing everything for the Wings except driving the Zambonie.  I’m pretty sure I shot beer out my nose laughing so hard.

Flint, Michigan
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    OT Red Wings memory

Way back in 2002, we had recently moved from Houston to Raleigh, NC.  Our oldest played hockey and joined a Midget travel team (ages 15 - 17, and normal sized).  Being new to NC, we really didn't know what kind of fans our Canes would have.

I ended up at Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals on 6/8.  Back then, it turns out that a lot of fans would buy scalpies in Raleigh from wherever (Toronto, Detroit), because it was cheaper to get tickets and fly there than to buy scalpies in their town, so there were a lot of red sweaters in the house.  

Canes fans turned out to be great, with the game going to 3OT and the house still deafening and full to the rafters at 2AM (albeit, with some Detroit fans).  In the end, the Wings scored in 3OT, followed by some Detroit jacka%$ pulling out an octopus he'd kept squirreled away for six hours and throwing it on the ice.  He immediately got his ass kicked by a couple of nearby Canes fans, and then I knew Raleigh was a hockey town.

Sit in our seats - fine
    Cheer your team - fine
    Disrespect our ice with your stinking cephalopod, and we'll kick your a&%
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    20stone said:
    OT Red Wings memory

Way back in 2002, we had recently moved from Houston to Raleigh, NC.  Our oldest played hockey and joined a Midget travel team (ages 15 - 17, and normal sized).  Being new to NC, we really didn't know what kind of fans our Canes would have.

I ended up at Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Finals on 6/8.  Back then, it turns out that a lot of fans would buy scalpies in Raleigh from wherever (Toronto, Detroit), because it was cheaper to get tickets and fly there than to buy scalpies in their town, so there were a lot of red sweaters in the house.  

Canes fans turned out to be great, with the game going to 3OT and the house still deafening and full to the rafters at 2AM (albeit, with some Detroit fans).  In the end, the Wings scored in 3OT, followed by some Detroit jacka%$ pulling out an octopus he'd kept squirreled away for six hours and throwing it on the ice.  He immediately got his ass kicked by a couple of nearby Canes fans, and then I knew Raleigh was a hockey town.

Sit in our seats - fine
    Cheer your team - fine
    Disrespect our ice with your stinking cephalopod, and we'll kick your a&%
    LOL, Yes we are. I was there and remember that 2am heartbreak well. Also remember that jack@ss getting perp walked by two of Raleighs finest. Was also there for all of the 06 run including Sweet Revenge on that little team from the motor city. 4 and 0 baby. Hockey will be expensive this year but the Blackstone will be hot, the beer cold and on the tailgate, come on by.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • While I like your enthusiasm @20stone & @frazzdaddy, I don’t understand what you have against my beloved Red Wings.  They’re only the best NHL franchise ever!  I guess somebody has to root for the other team.  Inferior as they are.
    Flint, Michigan
  • frazzdaddy
    edited October 2019
    While I like your enthusiasm @20stone & @frazzdaddy, I don’t understand what you have against my beloved Red Wings.  They’re only the best NHL franchise ever!  I guess somebody has to root for the other team.  Inferior as they are.
    My other fav team when it doesn't matter to the 'Canes. Nice to be relevant again. Oh and a major Thank You! to Big Don for his help with that.

Signed,

"A bunch of Jerk's" 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    5 and 0 and they look good.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited October 2019
    While I like your enthusiasm @20stone & @frazzdaddy, I don’t understand what you have against my beloved Red Wings.  They’re only the best NHL franchise ever!  I guess somebody has to root for the other team.  Inferior as they are.
    While my baseball and basketball teams are fixed for life (‘Stros and Rockets), for hockey, I’ve adopted teams where I’ve moved (Raleigh, Chicago) or travers to a lot on business (Denver).  One of those led to my attitude toward the Wings (though I will grudgingly admit that they have the best sweaters in the league)

It has also led to good timing from a Stanley Cup perspective. 

20stone said:
    OT Red Wings memory
    (Big snip)
    LOL, Yes we are. I was there and remember that 2am heartbreak well. Also remember that jack@ss getting perp walked by two of Raleighs finest. Was also there for all of the 06 run including Sweet Revenge on that little team from the motor city. 4 and 0 baby. Hockey will be expensive this year but the Blackstone will be hot, the beer cold and on the tailgate, come on by.
    I love this forum. Where else can you find a shared memory halfway across the country from nearly 20 years ago. That was quite a game. 

Enjoy the hockey this year. My teams are the ‘Lanche (son now lives in CO), the Hawks and the Canes. Should be a good season. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    I'm just happy the Islanders are relevant again. I think the 2000s drought was penance for the Gorton's fisherman logo.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • That fight between Mike Vernon and Patrick Roy was epic!

Flint, Michigan
  • 2nd intermission & Detroit’s trailing 2-1.  This wasn’t in the game plan!
    Flint, Michigan
  • frazzdaddy
    20stone said:
    While my baseball and basketball teams are fixed for life (‘Stros and Rockets), for hockey, I’ve adopted teams where I’ve moved (Raleigh, Chicago) or travers to a lot on business (Denver).  One of those led to my attitude toward the Wings (though I will grudgingly admit that they have the best sweaters in the league)

It has also led to good timing from a Stanley Cup perspective. 

20stone said:
    OT Red Wings memory
    (Big snip)
    I love this forum. Where else can you find a shared memory halfway across the country from nearly 20 years ago. That was quite a game. 

Enjoy the hockey this year. My teams are the ‘Lanche (son now lives in CO), the Hawks and the Canes. Should be a good season. 
    Was a special night, Glad we shared it.
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • keener75
    The Maple Leafs are coming to Detroit this Saturday to play my Red Wings.  I am so excited the NHL season is underway!  It’s a little sad because I miss the smack talk with Little Steven.  Anyway, HNIC is coming and that makes it awesome!  Any HNIC fans here?  Growing up in metro Detroit, we enjoyed visiting Canada and all the good things broadcasted from there.  CKLW was an awesome radio station and Hockey Night in Canada is always great!  And of course, there’s Grapes.

Terrible way to end a great career! I'm gonna miss Grapes. In my opinion the whole thing was overblown. The guy is 85 yrs old and grew up in a different time. He wasn't always politically correct but he always told you what he thought with no BS! Definitely entertaining.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    keener75 said:

Terrible way to end a great career! I'm gonna miss Grapes. In my opinion the whole thing was overblown. The guy is 85 yrs old and grew up in a different time. He wasn't always politically correct but he always told you what he thought with no BS! Definitely entertaining.
    It is completely and totally moronic reaction to a made up issue.  The perpetually offended will find any excuse to be offended by the opinions they do no agree with.  Give it a few years, "BBQ" will become offensive to someone. 

• lwrehm said:
    keener75 said:

It is completely and totally moronic reaction to a made up issue.  The perpetually offended will find any excuse to be offended by the opinions they do no agree with.  Give it a few years, "BBQ" will become offensive to someone. 

BBQ is already considered "offensive" by some.  You don't have to look hard for news stories of neighbors complaining about somebody's BBQ smoke.
    Flint, Michigan
  • lwrehm said:
    keener75 said:

BBQ is already considered "offensive" by some.  You don't have to look hard for news stories of neighbors complaining about somebody's BBQ smoke.
    it shame we have lost the live and let live mentality in this world.  It seems like no matter what country i am in the local news are all complaining about that countries people being more apart on issues than ever before. 

tolerant doesn't mean what it used to......

• Gonna miss you, Grapes.  Hockey Night in Canada will never be the same.  You were funny on the Coach’s Corner segment.  I loved the dapper suits made from fabric traditionally used for drapes or sofa covers.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Wait, the problem is that people weren't tolerant of an 85 year old who is intolerant about people who don't wear poppies?  

There's only 2 things I can't stand:  people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Image result for goldmember

Kinda looks like DC and has the same taste for fashion.

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lwrehm said:
    keener75 said:

it shame we have lost the live and let live mentality in this world.  It seems like no matter what country i am in the local news are all complaining about that countries people being more apart on issues than ever before. 

tolerant doesn't mean what it used to......
    I agree, let's get this passed ASAP.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equality_Act_(United_States)
  • keener75

They have worked side by side for 30+ years and he throws him under the bus? I think Ron could have handled this situation better. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    keener75 said:

They have worked side by side for 30+ years and he throws him under the bus? I think Ron could have handled this situation better. 
    How? Explain in complete sentences please.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Wait, the problem is that people weren't tolerant of an 85 year old who is intolerant about people who don't wear poppies?  

There's only 2 things I can't stand:  people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Image result for goldmember

Kinda looks like DC and has the same taste for fashion

if it's my comment you are referencing you missed the point of everyone being tolerant and live and let live. Not just one side, everyone should quit worry about others so much and live their own life as they see fit. His situation is different though, he was an employee representing a company so it's different than someone on the street saying something. Since he's on the clock he is under the companies rules. This point got lost in major sports leagues except funny enough Nascar. but yeah, the dutch, don't get me started. :)
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Wait, I thought from our semi-regular Penzey’s threads that mixing it is always a bad idea to mix business and politics, why shouldn’t that apply here?

To be honest, Cherry should have been fired 20+ years ago for having a view of hockey that is totally out of date and his disdain and dislike of non Anglo-Canadian players. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• keener75 said:

Agree totally. All Ron did was save his own bacon and throw Don further under the bus. I've lost a lot of respect for Ron. 

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349

I
    t's possible to stand up for others without walking on anyone else, eh?

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    But Keith Olbermann has a job....  SMDH
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim said:
    But Keith Olbermann has a job....  SMDH
    Olbermann railed against immigrants on ESPN?   I must have missed that.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike