Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter's Here in KY!

Unloaded one of the Twins to keep on the deck for the winter yesterday evening. Here's a pic.

Just in time....here's a pic of the house when I left for work at 4am this morning!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    nice to see snow sticking on the ground, have not seen that up here in maine yet =) really glad i decided to pull the boat and docks in sunday, will be single digits tonight and most of the week and the water is already icing up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    yeap....winter is there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • I took a tumble on the ice yesterday.  Given the size of my feet, that was quite a feat.  I’m kinda sore today.  Ol’ Man Winter is here a bit early this year.
    Flint, Michigan
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Enjoy!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Still warm here..

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    yeh I'm getting lucky in KY too.......I think we had less snow than you.....ours was more in line with a standard rabbit tracker. 
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    It's winter in Okeechobee Florida also, high today is forecast to be 84! We consider it winter when the temp is under 90!
    Stay warm my Egger friends north of Florida!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    lkapigian said:
    Still warm here..

If this doesn’t deserve a flag for abuse, I don’t know what does! 😜
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I had to scrape a solid sheet of ice off my windshield this morning. In San Antonio. 

Winter is definitely here. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• South of Columbus, Ohio.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
     Not bad in Louisville. Nothing on the sidewalks or streets, and colder.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    hoping it gets colder, i really hate temps hovering around 30 degrees. prefer a dry 20 degree or colder day over these temps

atleast the roads are clearing up, think i saw the last florida plate heading south this weekend =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    I took a tumble on the ice yesterday.  Given the size of my feet, that was quite a feat.  I’m kinda sore today.  Ol’ Man Winter is here a bit early this year.
    I do that frequently in dry weather. Be careful up thar.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    We’ve got about 2” of snow on the grassy areas and the parking lots are ice. Roads not terrible.  Be safe folks 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    No snow in the Twin Cities but is currently 11 degrees out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    lkapigian said:
    Still warm here..

but it is a bitter cold 69 on Friday
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    27 here

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Every summer I promise that I won’t complain about cold weather once hurricane season passes. Sometimes promises are hard to keep.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:
    Still warm here..

but it is a bitter cold 69 on Friday
    My apologies, that is grueling. Try to carry on the best you can. 🤪
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    56 this morning with my coffee outside, now 39......
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    We dodged the real cold last night. 30 miles one way it hit -8º and 40 miles the other way it hit -12º. We were a balmy 8 above!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:
    We dodged the real cold last night. 30 miles one way it hit -8º and 40 miles the other way it hit -12º. We were a balmy 8 above!!!
    Used to travel a lot on business. Peoria was the most memorably cold place I ever visited!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Don’t know what y’all are complaining about. Got this dump overnight. 1 degree Fahrenheit today. It begins. 

The Eggs are under the cover on the left. 

At least I traded in my RWD sports car for all-wheel drive. (Wife made me.)
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    @Jupiter Jim. My daughter just moved to Okochobee. My son in law is an Apostolic Pastor. They took the Pentecostals of Okochobee church. I’ll be there ASAP I can get through the holiday events here in KY

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• YukonRon
    I prepared for winter by giving My Beautiful Wife a new ice scraper.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    YukonRon said:
    That’s love right there.

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    YukonRon said:
    That’s love right there.
    I agree true Love!

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• So much for “global warming”!  Temps in Kansas set new record lows last night.  I played golf in 78 deg weather on Sunday, and it was 50 degrees colder today!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    This is something I don’t get to say very often. It is cold in Dixie today. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    This is part of the process with climate change/global warming, unfortunately. 

The sad truth, the warmer oceans drastically alter currents both in the atmosphere as well as the ocean, creating stronger, and much broader weather patterns which provided the tremendously hot summers, as we have had the last few years, followed by sharp and sudden arctic blasts as we have endured this week.

The Ocean absorbs 90% of the heat, and that is why the temperature, globally, continues to rise. (i.e melting  polar ice). Kind of a big thing for a few reasons: 

1) 10% of the world's population lives 10 meters above sea level, which are threatened severely, with the rising water.

2) The melting ice, changes the chemistry of the oceans, and the more water absorbs more heat, which is detrimental to all sea life. A large portion of the global population relies upon the ocean for food, nourishment and medication.

3 )Coastal habitats for wildlife and plants will be diminished as well.

This is just the effect on the oceans. I could write several volumes what it means to those that live in the "safe" zone, explaining the step by step process that will threaten or negatively impact all human life. (i.e. wild fires, as in California and Australia, just to name 1 of thousands of examples).

I have spent the better part of my life on research and development in the elimination or reduction of VOCs in industrial/commercial applications, which requires the exit from the utilization of hydrocarbons or any volatile organic compounds by the development and use of other sources.

There are environmentally conscious organizations out there which absolutely recognize the threat, and have taken steps to be a better neighbor to our planet.

But anyway....not to get political....just thought the myth which is rampant that "It is all BS"....has another side, which has been documented and witnessed over the last 40-50 years.

It is amazing to me we readily grasp new technology, developed over years of research, yet we do not grasp the critical data about our environments health, provided by many of the same research institutes.

People are funny that way. They would rather believe an uninformed source verbally than information from experts, globally known and recognized as such, by the leading scientists of our times, for their research and development. 

Think globally, act locally.

Peace

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky