Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What are you buying right now?

Options

Comments

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @ColbyLang short action. 
    Danley precision is doing the build.
    Haven't stretched out that far... trying my hand at 500..max I'd be willing to shoot at an animal anyway. This will be my first 6.5 variant so we'll see.

I've always been a fan of the 30's. Used my ex's ring money for this so I figured wth
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I bought a funny t-shirt a couple weeks ago, so of course my entire intranetz is now inundated with printed clothing ads.  Including this one, for a woman's blouse with a "Daschhund lovers" graphic.  Uhhh....

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY6ZvRTyoEB5lASEf_cWplz3SkCI2HRFDlj3z3qSa1-JCpnX0B&usqp=CAI

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Botch said:
    I bought a funny t-shirt a couple weeks ago, so of course my entire intranetz is now inundated with printed clothing ads.  Including this one, for a woman's blouse with a "Daschhund lovers" graphic.  Uhhh....

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY6ZvRTyoEB5lASEf_cWplz3SkCI2HRFDlj3z3qSa1-JCpnX0B&usqp=CAI
    You had one job, Ms Designer
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Have been looking for a slot car type track for my boy for awhile and woot had a good deal on the Anki overdrive starter kit today. I bought 2 of them since just buying more track would have cost more than a 2nd kit. Also got the launch track off amazon. Can’t wait to play with it. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Inkbird offered up their sous vide cooker for 50% off for the first 10 people interested over on the BBQ Brethren. The reviews are good on Amazon. 44 reviews with a 4.7 out of 5 rating. The cooker is 1000 watts and comes with wifi. I couldn't pass it up for $37 and free shipping. Other Brethren members own them and say they're legit company with a fantastic product. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Front and back pads and rotors. 
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    With any luck.... Batting 0 for 4 so far and we're submitting list price offers. Nuckin Futts market 

In case you're wondering, condo life still sucks balls 
    Good looking house right there
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    @ColtsFan. If you can I'd be patient. I have 2 realtor friends that are thinking the market is fixing to bottom out again
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Also, when I bought I paid 25 over list and i wasn’t even the highest offer. Different market though...

I gave up my feeble attempts at trying to time the/any market years ago. I found that I was wrong, frequently  :)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Wife works for the #1 realty company here.  Can’t find enough houses to sell.  Doesn’t help when the bank is loaning money at 3.5% on 30 year loans. Young kids don’t understand how to negotiate on a house...they only see the monthly payment amount, sign the contract, and only plan to live there for 5 years anyway.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Wife works for the #1 realty company here.  Can’t find enough houses to sell.  Doesn’t help when the bank is loaning money at 3.5% on 30 year loans. Young kids don’t understand how to negotiate on a house...they only see the monthly payment amount, sign the contract, and only plan to live there for 5 years anyway.
    I wouldn't be complaining.   What could possibly go wrong?
    Options
    The market is changing for sure. Houses that were selling in 2 days a year ago are sitting on the market and they are priced $10-15k less. The only bad thing about waiting is the bottom doesn’t just fall out it takes years to hit the bottom. I wouldn’t buy a house right now. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Lit said:
    The market is changing for sure. Houses that were selling in 2 days a year ago are sitting on the market and they are priced $10-15k less. The only bad thing about waiting is the bottom doesn’t just fall out it takes years to hit the bottom. I wouldn’t buy a house right now. 
    Here (and I’m sure elsewhere)the problem is that millennials, in general, aren’t buying starter homes in the 100k price range. They’re buying anything from 275-425. Therefore there’s a huge lack of inventory in that price range and houses are selling for above asking (which is crazy). 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    With any luck.... Batting 0 for 4 so far and we're submitting list price offers. Nuckin Futts market 

In case you're wondering, condo life still sucks balls 
    thats an 850,000 plus dollar house here on a 0.2 acre lot, offer 875k ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    people are nuts lately, this house is my neighbor next door. its been abandoned since 1989, theres 7 racoons living inside so you can imagine what it looks like inside. theres no heat, theres no water as the pipes have all frozen and the water has been shut off at the street. the front windows fell out years ago, the broken glass i covered to protect the dog, theres holes smashed in the bathroom walls. the inside is majorly warped from the cold, humidity etc. place is a complete wreck. pond is just 30 acres so theres no status with the 1/10 acre lot. its currently under agreement for 389,000.  i had my taxes cut in half because of it, the appraiser changed my status from full time residence to full time camp. not looking forward to having a neighbor next door

37 Palanga St Methuen MA 01844 home appraisal report

fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:
    Here (and I’m sure elsewhere)the problem is that millennials, in general, aren’t buying starter homes in the 100k price range. They’re buying anything from 275-425. Therefore there’s a huge lack of inventory in that price range and houses are selling for above asking (which is crazy). 
    That’s ending here. I live in one of the few neighborhoods in my area under $400k and the houses sitting that I was referencing are in the prime millennial price range. We also live in one of the fastest growing area in the US for years Forsyth county Georgia. The fed was about to raise rates not long ago then they kept them where they were then they started talking about lowering them. That alone should tell you the economy is in trouble. 
  • fishlessman
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Lit said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:
    That’s ending here. I live in one of the few neighborhoods in my area under $400k and the houses sitting that I was referencing are in the prime millennial price range. We also live in one of the fastest growing area in the US for years Forsyth county Georgia. The fed was about to raise rates not long ago then they kept them where they were then they started talking about lowering them. That alone should tell you the economy is in trouble. 
    its opposite here, last years 250k houses are 350 to 400k this summer  20 miles north of boston and you dont get much. 350k gets you a 1 bedroom house and they sell at the openhouse. just saw a 2 bedroom go fast, they counted the living room as a bedroom
    fukahwee maine

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:
    Literally just had this conversation with a co-worker. He's young, right out of college (2-3 years) and making 50-60K. He's currently house shopping and says "Can you believe the bank will loan me 320k?" I replied with you should buy a house for 175k and pay it off in 15 years.... He said "You can do that?"

Kid's/young adults are clueless when it comes to personal finances and how to manage such....Crazy
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2019
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:
    Literally just had this conversation with a co-worker. He's young, right out of college (2-3 years) and making 50-60K. He's currently house shopping and says "Can you believe the bank will loan me 320k?" I replied with you should buy a house for 175k and pay it off in 15 years.... He said "You can do that?"

Kid's/young adults are clueless when it comes to personal finances and how to manage such....Crazy
    I’m in Dallas and here most millennials want to live in apartments. The ones that don’t arent buying $100k houses. (Which here you wouldn’t want to live in anyways) They are buying $300k-$500k houses because they understand that when the market does tank those price ranges won’t be as impacted here locally. The other problem we have is a bunch of California folks are moving here and don’t understand that you can get a very nice  house here for about $300k and they are plentiful. So they come in and out bid each other on the 1st one they find and pretty soon the houses are overvalued. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:

I’m in Dallas and here most millennials want to live in apartments. The ones that don’t arent buying $100k houses. (Which here you wouldn’t want to live in anyways) They are buying $300k-$500k houses because they understand that when the market does tank those price ranges won’t be as impacted here locally. The other problem we have is a bunch of California folks are moving here and don’t understand that you can get a very nice  house here for about $300k and they are plentiful. So they come in and out bid each other on the 1st one they find and pretty soon the houses are overvalued. 
    What do you mean the $300-500k houses won’t be impacted? Everything will be impacted even California was severely impacted last time and they thought the same thing. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:

Banks lending 5 - 6 times earnings is what happened here before the 2008 crash when they were desperate to keep the market moving upwards. Supply and demand says it's not sustainable. Brexit has badly dented the housing market here, took the froth off in 2016 and it's been drifting since. Good to have things stable for a while.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Lit said:
    ColtsFan said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:

What do you mean the $300-500k houses won’t be impacted? Everything will be impacted even California was severely impacted last time and they thought the same thing. 

What I mean by that is that locally the people buying those houses are not buying them for an investment or to flip, and therefore are more likely to be living in and planning on staying in their houses long term. So a temporary market fluctuation wont impact them as much. People living here in 300k-500k houses would be considered upper middle class. A 500k house is the current barometer to upper class income earners here. They are also in general probably better prepared to handle an economic downturn than folks living in a 100k house making 20k a year.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    ColtsFan said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:

What I mean by that is that locally the people buying those houses are not buying them for an investment or to flip, and therefore are more likely to be living in and planning on staying in their houses long term. So a temporary market fluctuation wont impact them as much. People living here in 300k-500k houses would be considered upper middle class. A 500k house is the current barometer to upper class income earners here. They are also in general probably better prepared to handle an economic downturn than folks living in a 100k house making 20k a year.
    When jobs go away the people with a $2700 a month mortgage payment get foreclosed on quickly and there aren’t jobs in the same salary range readily available. Plenty of $20k jobs people can do to pay their bills. I did mortgages for 5 years out of college right before the crash fully hit I got out. Everyone was affected especially the people that had 35% DTI rations like I’m guessing a lot of the people buying half million dollar homes have. There are only so many 6 figure jobs around they can’t all have them. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    ColtsFan said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:

When jobs go away the people with a $2700 a month mortgage payment get foreclosed on quickly and there aren’t jobs in the same salary range readily available. Plenty of $20k jobs people can do to pay their bills. I did mortgages for 5 years out of college right before the crash fully hit I got out. Everyone was affected especially the people that had 35% DTI rations like I’m guessing a lot of the people buying half million dollar homes have. There are only so many 6 figure jobs around they can’t all have them. 
    Ya that’s true to an extent. Locally we weren’t impacted nearly as much as the rest of the country in the last downturn. Of course it hit everyone but people making 100k+ a year seemed to do a bit better here. Our areas unemployment rates were among the lowest in the country at that time. Again our biggest issue here is not so much fear of a housing crash as it is out of state people moving here and artificially inflating the housing market. 

• Lit
    Options
    Lit said:
    Lit said:
    ColtsFan said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Lit said:

Ya that’s true to an extent. Locally we weren’t impacted nearly as much as the rest of the country in the last downturn. Of course it hit everyone but people making 100k+ a year seemed to do a bit better here. Our areas unemployment rates were among the lowest in the country at that time. Again our biggest issue here is not so much fear of a housing crash as it is out of state people moving here and artificially inflating the housing market. 
    One of my coworkers moved to Nashville not long ago and they had the same issue there with California people coming in and buying houses cash at above value. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Yup Nashville is a perfect example. Same with Austin here in Texas. Anyways to get back on topic. What am I buying now? Lunch...

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Go farther east and it’s the New York invasion 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.