Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Barbacoa Chuckie A La Centex

Options

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    would make a great breakfast this morning...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    With the drunk Mexican holiday coming up, going to give this a try.  Have had it bookmarked for a while.  Thought others might want to see it too.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Whoa. From way Back in the photobucket days. We are actually making this for a Mexican Street Food/BGE class that we are teaching soon. I’ll take some new pics and post them here if I remember 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Whoa. From way Back in the photobucket days. We are actually making this for a Mexican Street Food/BGE class that we are teaching soon. I’ll take some new pics and post them here if I remember 
    You really should consider upgrading your account so we can see the pics.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Nothing like reviving an oldie but a goodie.  Much.ä better than the boiled brisket thread.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Nothing like reviving an oldie but a goodie.  Much.ä better than the boiled brisket thread.  
    This is just boiled chuckie...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice! The pics are back! Perfect timing too as we are teaching a class with these tomorrow. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I smile every time this thread gets a bump. I also get an email, since I have it bookmarked! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I smile every time this thread gets a bump. I also get an email, since I have it bookmarked! 
    Been way too long since we’ve made this. Doing a practice run tonight so we don’t screw it up
    tomorrow. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Mexican Street corn (undressed). We will dress it up tomorrow. Just wanted to get a practice run in. Bribed for 2 hours then grilled direct at 350 for 10 min (turning every 2 min). Was plump and
    delish. 

Smoky meat headed for the braise.  

Chef’s meal of Marsalawurst sausage from our pigs. I took one of the pieces of corn and slathered in ghee and Dizzy Pig Bombay Curry-ish. That was pretty damn good! 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dont know if it was on purpose, but your photobucket account is set on public veiwing so every pic in your account shows. might want to reset it to private so only pics your putting up show
    Me thinks you may have stumbled across too many photos of little Centex.  ;)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Class was a hit. TFJ still has it. We did some wok fried sopapillas with cajeta caramel that are probably worth a post. I didn’t take one freaking pic or get a bite of food. Im a Dumbass. 
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    This looks incredible. Has anyone ever done the braise portion with an instant pot?  I’m curious what cooking times would be. Thx!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This looks incredible. Has anyone ever done the braise portion with an instant pot?  I’m curious what cooking times would be. Thx!!
    You certainly could (and should if you have one). Not sure on timing but I’m all for using a pressure cooker when available. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We did the braise in our IP this time. Came out really nice. 45 min with a quick release. If it’s not quite ready, you can just simmer until it falls apart. 
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Looks like a plate full of goodness right there.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Great looking spread.  I always like the post when you 3 get together 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    We did the braise in our IP this time. Came out really nice. 45 min with a quick release. If it’s not quite ready, you can just simmer until it falls apart. 
    How much and what type of liquid did you put in the IP for the braise?
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Braise liquid recipe is on page 1 of this thread. Add that liquid to cover the meat or up to the max line of your IP. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Braise liquid recipe is on page 1 of this thread. Add that liquid to cover the meat or up to the max line of your IP. 
    We reduce the liquid in the IP after the meat comes out and then add it to the shredded meat until it has the flavor we want 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have this thread bookmarked so this served as a gentle reminder that I've still yet to make it. Did tell the wife beef was the next cook. Now to make the time! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I have this thread bookmarked so this served as a gentle reminder that I've still yet to make it. Did tell the wife beef was the next cook. Now to make the time! 
    I’ve made it.  It’s incredible.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It has been too long since we made this but so glad we did. We had forum royalty ( @caliking ) visiting our fine town yesterday. He was hanging with @20stone so janell and I headed over for the afternoon. We are pretty  much empty nesters at this point so we are always looking for an excuse to cook something for more than 2 people. I had some Wagyu short ribs and a nice chuckie left from my last shady parking lot meat deal that made for some mighty fine tasting barbacoa. Janell made homemade corn tortillas and @20stone provided all the accoutrements. @caliking made some amazing lemon Madelines for dessert. Good times were had by all! 

Quite the feast!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It has been too long since we made this but so glad we did. We had forum royalty ( @caliking ) visiting our fine town yesterday. He was hanging with @20stone so janell and I headed over for the afternoon. We are pretty  much empty nesters at this point so we are always looking for an excuse to cook something for more than 2 people. I had some Wagyu short ribs and a nice chuckie left from my last shady parking lot meat deal that made for some mighty fine tasting barbacoa. Janell made homemade corn tortillas and @20stone provided all the accoutrements. @caliking made some amazing lemon Madelines for dessert. Good times were had by all! 

Quite the feast!
    It always is with that crew!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    BTW- I used the rub from the APL “Fajita marinated flank steak” recipe in serious barbecue on this one. Super simple and was tasty. I'll likely use this from now on. 

1/4 cup mild chile powder
    1.5 tsp course Black pepper
    1.5 tsp kosher salt 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Quite the feast!
    It always is with that crew!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    One of the more fun meals I've had in some time. The others being other cooks we've gotten together for :) 

The barbacoa was outstanding. Everything was. Y'all could run Operation Tortilla Relief, as I've never seen a shorter walk through the door to fresh tortilla deployment time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Seriously?! A 3 ingredient recipe from APL???

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA