Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Seasoning what is you favorite?

You guys and gals have never let me down in the past when it comes to spice/rubs.  I currently use some "pizza seasonings" from a local Mennonite/Amish market, it is a good blend but I am curious about what else is out there.
 Thanks
South of Columbus, Ohio.

Comments

• Paul Prudhomme's pizza & pasta seasoning is pretty good in small amounts, Penzey's pizza seasoning is also good

HTH
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Can’t say that I’ve ever used a pizza seasoning. 
  • Hmm.  This is for protein, and not actual pizza, right?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Don't think I've ever seen anything called "pizza seasoning". 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    I'd always used McCormick's Italian Seasoning, rubbed between thumb/finger as I sprinkled the pie.  
    And I never put fresh basil on the pie before going in the oven (as is traditional); rather, chiffonade the leaves and sprinkle them on immediately after removing from the oven.  The heat in the pie is enough to release the oils.  And I've tried back-to-back, a leave in one bite that was cooked with the pizza until mostly black, and fresh basil on the next bite.  Burnt basil sucks.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I love this on pizza. 
  • The only thing I use that might approach seasoning for my pies is a little EVOO and fleur de sel.  Right after the pie comes out of the oven, I drizzle the outermost edge of the crust with the olive oil.  Then I sprinkle a little of the coarse salt in the same perimeter.  It just gives the outer crust a little kick.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Red pepper flakes for the pie.  I’ve never used anything labeled “pizza seasoning”.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Well there you have it. I will stick with what I have been using, I may take a picture of the label if it lists the spcies and post it on here when I re-up.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    edited September 2019
    @alaskanassasin My wife found this at Disney World years ago. It makes any average pizza taste more like pizza. Not cheap but it is really good. Pizza Spice  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Olive oil and fresh ton basil

Simple is best

Also in the homemade ital sausage i make the meat is flavored with buff mozz water, provolone, chianti, salt , fennel seed and red chili flakes....thats anout all the seasoning any pie i make needs...oh and kalamata olives are pretty salty so that too....
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Mostly, I run whole, canned, Cento San Marzanos (or at least the "Product of Italy" ones) thru a food mill and spread it on the dough. Then, a couple of pinches of salt, a few grinds of black pepper, a light dusting of dried oregano and a light dusting of garlic powder. Then, a drizzle of olive oil (plus I brush some on the crust). 

So, nothing fancy, no jar that says "Pizza Seasoning", just some ordinary stuff that everyone has. I got those ingredients from the website of a New England pizza chain, Papa Geno's. I like their sauce and they list the ingredients (but not quantities) on their site. Mine doesn't taste like theirs - surprise, surprise - but I like it.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    red pepper flakes and at papa ginos i go all out with a few shakes of oregano
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I usually add some seasonings to the sauce just to broaden the flavor a bit..
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700

On a long ago tour of southern Ontario, we stopped into a pizza chain of forgotten name. The pizza was so bland, and there wasn't anything in sight to put on it. Finally got an employees' attention, and was met with a confused look when I asked for parm, or garlic, or hot pepper flakes. She responded with "well, we've got paprika, if you'd like."

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Anchovies  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    lkapigian said:
    Anchovies  =)
    here ya go. anchovies

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    kraft stinky cheese,  anctually the noerm here in the italian mingah valley here

fukahwee maine

• Oregano on the pie, or flake salt on the crust. That is all I ever use and only occasionally.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    swmbo's roasted garlic dip.
    canuckland
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Fresh oregano, garlic and some paprika. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lkapigian said:

No.  Just... no.