Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoker for a beginner- Sort of OT

Options
So I was egging pizzas for a crowd last night and while I was cooking my brother tells me that he’s thinking about wading into the pool the bbq pool. He’s a pretty good cook, and his only low n slow experience includes a crockpot. Then he hits me with a question- What is a good, entry level smoker for a guy like him? I thought for a few seconds, surprised at my inability to provide an off the cuff answer, and eventually settled on a pellet grill of some sort. With that, I throw the same question out to the forum-

What would be your recommended entry level smoking device for a newb? Keeping in mind that most kamado cookers aren’t in the budget (under $400-500) and he’s looking to cook for a small crowd now and then. Go!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    You might not get a big brand name but you can find kamado grills for under 5 bills. The quality might not be as nice but the food will taste the same as a BGE/Kamado. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    The best bang for your buck is typically 2nd hand when it comes to smoker/grills. I'd check your local Craigslist and see what comes up for options. You'd be able to stretch that $500 longer this way
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    I agree ^^^ Weber kettle, old classic! 

Used egg

I was torn when looking to 'move up' and eventually went with my XL over a pellet. Probably stupid but I thought the pellet grill was 'cheating' - Not like I was entering a contest. At the time I wanted to smoke and learn charcoal. Went with the BGE.
    I eventually got a Traeger (after the wife came home from Costco and said there is a display,,,,rep said so easy She could flip a switch and Q if I wasn't home (she has yet to use it - probably cause I had to battle to get it to be a set it and forget it). Who is going to say no to the wife when she says go get another BBQ?

I like most everything better off the egg then the Traeger but its still fun to use.

I had one of the Weber Smokey Mountain 18'' for a little while but if I was getting my first grill (from Weber) it would be the Kettle.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    How is it even possible that everyone's first answer was not an Akorn? 

I have a ceramic Kamado, a Weber Performer, a GMG pellet grill and a gasser, but, mostly because it's just the two of us, my most used cooker 8 months of the year is my Akorn Jr.  Does everything well and does it burning very little lump.  Also, got it at Walmart on closeout for $74...  

Oh, the other four months of the year are snowy Winter here and my pellet grill lives on my covered porch, so I don't have to shovel my way out to it.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Weber kettle is a great idea. 

If there were to be a poll here asking what our first grill was, I would predict that over 50% of respondents said Weber kettle.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Weber kettle is a great idea. 

If there were to be a poll here asking what our first grill was, I would predict that over 50% of respondents said Weber kettle.
    I would put that number up around 75-80% who broke their cherry on a Weber. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Calbbqer
    Options
    I’d say a pellet grill for a beginner. They may not want to be a bbq master or care to push out high quality bbq. If they get bored or want more versatility, they can get the more expensive models or other cookers. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Hard to beat a Weber Kettle or Weber Smokey Mountain. If looking primarily to do low and slow smoking I'd opt for the WSM. If wanting a grill/smoker then the Kettle. If I were in the market for a Kettle now I'd probably go for the 26".
    A great site for WSM users is https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ and they have a pretty active forum also.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I'm an outlier on a lot of discussions here, and this one's no exception.  I mean well, honest!   ;)  

But I really hated trying to smoke stuff on my Weber kettle, many years ago.  I found it a real pain.  The biggest problem was that I kept having to add more charcoal during the cook, which I found cumbersome and enough of a pain that I gave up and wound up just using it for grilling.

If the Smokey Mountain smokers are easier to add charcoal to than a regular Weber grill, I'd lean toward one of them if I couldn't afford a BGE.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I'm an outlier on a lot of discussions here, and this one's no exception.  I mean well, honest!   ;)  

But I really hated trying to smoke stuff on my Weber kettle, many years ago.  I found it a real pain.  The biggest problem was that I kept having to add more charcoal during the cook, which I found cumbersome and enough of a pain that I gave up and wound up just using it for grilling.

If the Smokey Mountain smokers are easier to add charcoal to than a regular Weber grill, I'd lean toward one of them if I couldn't afford a BGE.
    It’s hard to disagree with this. I love my Weber kettles. I’ve had several and try to keep one in the lineup all the time, but they’ve never been a smoking tool to me. I also have a UDS that I built, but hasn’t seen a fire since I got my XL’s. I don’t know why I didn’t think about a used egg. I just saw a large w/ a broken dome in my area for under $300. I’m guessing a new dome would go for about $150, so I could probably get him into a large egg for about $400, sans accessories. 

Now the wheels are turning 🤔
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    scdaf said:

Legit question.

That's what I'd recommend.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Hard to beat a Weber Kettle or Weber Smokey Mountain. If looking primarily to do low and slow smoking I'd opt for the WSM. If wanting a grill/smoker then the Kettle. If I were in the market for a Kettle now I'd probably go for the 26".
    A great site for WSM users is https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/ and they have a pretty active forum also.

Agree, for the money Weber 26” is very versatile and has large capacity when needed for regular grilling.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Theophan said:

It's not difficult to get 10 hours of low and slow from one load of fuel on either a kettle or WSM (on a nice calm summer day anyway) which is usually fine for pork butts.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    Theophan said:

It’s hard to disagree with this. I love my Weber kettles. I’ve had several and try to keep one in the lineup all the time, but they’ve never been a smoking tool to me. I also have a UDS that I built, but hasn’t seen a fire since I got my XL’s. I don’t know why I didn’t think about a used egg. I just saw a large w/ a broken dome in my area for under $300. I’m guessing a new dome would go for about $150, so I could probably get him into a large egg for about $400, sans accessories. 

Where I am a new LBGE dome is $220 thru a dealer.  That quote was good as of 9/7/19.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    Theophan said:

If the dome is not broken to bad, I would have no issues gluing it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    @Photo Egg I assume it’s a goner, whatever happened to it. The post only showed a pic of the egg with no dome on it. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    @Photo Egg I assume it’s a goner, whatever happened to it. The post only showed a pic of the egg with no dome on it. 
    Understand, thanks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If he's primarily looking for a smoker, I would suggest taking a look at the Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC). Maybe pick up a 2nd hand  Weber kettle for cheap to cover the grilling needs. 

I know the WSM gets a lot of love, but I always liked a drum smoker more. Fewer parts to deal with. And they can crank out some great BBQ. I built two and loved them both. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I will agree on the Weber..I am sure there are you tube videos out there on charcoal management. Key to a long burn is only lighting very few coals and let them burn in a pattern. 

found this a few posts down...and yes..this is it..

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1221201/of-packers-weber-kettles-and-charcoal-snakes#latest
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    Bge was my first smoker and it has been awesome.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• rekameohs
    Options
    scdaf said:
    I was going to say how is it possible the first answer is not an A-MAZE-N smoking tray.  It is a great way to get a foot in the door (especially with cold smoking), without spending big bucks.   Just put the tray inside your existing BGE/Weber, etc.

Raleigh, NC
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    HeavyG said:

I started on a WSM and the only reason I didn't stay there is I wanted to get down to one device.  The WSM is great for low/slow but grilling isn't its forte.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I picked up a Weber Smokey Mountain 22 inch, floor model at the end of summer for $300. It's very easy to use and produces some dang good eats. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options

I also had a WSM 18.5" it was good, problem is that any kind of wind or extreme cold can cause that thing to be all over the place with temps. They are also a pain to clean out the ash. But if he is wanting to get into it that is my recommendation. They are easy to use and produce very good Q if controlled the right way. The only other option I would say is if you have an Academy near by get one of the Old Country Offset stick burners. One can be had for around $300-$400. If you get the lower end ones. Problem with those is they have to be babied. But to me its the best form of BBQ'ing.

I can't stand Pellet "grills". Having to plug in your smoker/grill seems like such a lazy millennial thing. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Pit Barrel Smoker would be a good entry level piece of equipment. 
    Pratt, KS
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Upon further review, I also would give the Pit Barrel a hard look.  It can crank out quite the volume and is a simple rig to set up and run.  FWIW-