Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Of packers, Weber kettles and charcoal snakes

Watched Cook's Country this afternoon and they presented their method of cooking a full packer brisket on a Weber kettle.  Supposedly they've been working on this recipe for two years, and 500 lbs of packers (no wonder they've gotten expensive).  Not directly Egg-related but quite interesting.
Basically they built a "snake" of charcoal bricquets around the perimeter of a 22" kettle, two brickets high by two brikkuets wide, with an 8" gap between the "head" and the "tail"; exactly 116 bricuets.  Then put a drip pan filled with water in the center, then five chunks of smoking wood evenly spaced along the snake.  Light one end with 8 briquets lit in a chimney, add the brisket (fat-side down), and let her burn.  I didn't get exact times, and they poured some more briquets in the gap once the meat reached 170, and they wrapped in foil, put her back in.    
Once the meat hit 210 (they insisted on that temp, not "probes like buttah") they removed the packer and coolered it, making sure to flip it over so the fat side is then facing up.  They nailed it, great ring, tender, and juicy as heck.  I was impressed.
They slice their packer differently than I do.  I usually pull the point off, slice the flat against the grain all the way across, then slice the point either in slices, or chunks if I'm doing burnt ends.  They left theirs together, sliced all the exposed flat, then turned the point and the portion of flat directly below it 90 degrees, and sliced them together.  Interesting.

Found a bunch of similar pics on teh googlez, from a bunch of different sources, so I don't know who was copying who, doesn't matter I guess.  Neat that it can be done, but sure am glad I have an Egg to do this, quite a bit simpler (I still have never wrapped mid-cook).  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• Once the meat hit 210 (they insisted on that temp, not "probes like buttah") 

Well...at 210 you don’t have to say “probes like buttah because that’s a given- ha! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Wow. It took them that long, and that many briskets to figure that out??

I know for sure that I learned of that technique from the BBQ Brethren site. Some years ago. And it was known there for a good many years before that. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    The snake has definitely been around for a loooong time. That and the Minion method(s) are things that have been familiar to Kettle/WSM users for at least a decade.
    A Slow 'n Sear is useful for folks like me who want to do 10 hour kettle cooks but whose ADD makes building a neat, well formed snake seem like torture.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• I watched @sgh roll the snake method in his Vault for like 8 hours @350 at brisket camp 1. He cranked out a ton of good food for a ton of people that night! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    caliking said:
    I know for sure that I learned of that technique from the BBQ Brethren site. Some years ago. And it was known there for a good many years before that. 
    It was also always on the WVB site. It was a sticky on one of the sub forums. I know for sure that was on there at least 15 years ago. I haven’t been on the WVB site in a couple of years, but I bet it is still there. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    SGH said:
    caliking said:
    It was also always on the WVB site. It was a sticky on one of the sub forums. I know for sure that was on there at least 15 years ago. I haven’t been on the WVB site in a couple of years, but I bet it is still there. 
    Agree. Johnny Cash, Ring of Fire.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • If you had a budget and 2 yrs to perfect a brisket technique,  would you "perfect it" after  couple of cooks? Or, would you make it last 2 yrs and enjoy some tasty brisket?
    😛😛😛😛😛
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • that is a lot of work

just buy a kamado
    Boom
  • JethroBodeen
    JethroBodeen Posts: 523
    edited September 2019
    I know Dave Klose came out with his charcoal basket for his offsets more than 15 years ago. It is based on the MM and Snake mentioned above. I was on his forum way back when.